Checking my PATH it has changed quit a bit as I install new stuff so I
know some things are changing this.

--Mike S
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
On Wed August 10 2005 05:16, Mike S wrote:

> ok I am stumped as to where the $PATH is set. I know in OSX I just

The path for everyone is set in /etc/profile. Your shell should reference
this when you start a new instance of it (i.e. log in, open a new xterm or
Konsole or whatever). (It's *actually* built from stuff in /etc/env.d so you
shouldn't modify /etc/profile directly...)

> I could make a bunch of symlinks of the java-bin/bin stuff to
> /usr/local/bin I suppose, but that seems like a lot more work than
> necessary. Why that wasn't done in the emerge process I have no idea.
> Checking my PATH it has changed quit a bit as I install new stuff so I
> know some things are changing this.

Try doing "source /etc/profile" in a shell, and that shell should pick up the
new path. Restarting X or rebooting should make the change global.

Most packages I've installed (I won't say "all" because I could be forgetting
something) modify /etc/profile if they need to change the system PATH. If
Limewire did not, you can add to your ~/.bashrc something like:

export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin

That definitely should be picked up every time you start a new terminal,
because it's in your local (user's) environment.

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@amessage.info :: PGP 50238D9E
//
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:16:04 -0700, Mike S wrote:

> ok I am stumped as to where the $PATH is set. I know in OSX I just
> added a ~/.profile and every time I opened the terminal that would be
> read and I could export environmental variables there. however I tried
> that here, and the file didn't seem to do anything. I open a new
> terminal and the $PATH is still the same as before.

It should be set in one or more of the files in /etc/env.d.

> The reason I am trying this is because I just installed limewire, and
> the java in /opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2 is not in my path. So when I open
> limewire it can't find the "java" command, which, again, is in
> /opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin.

The standard paths are set in /etc/env.d/00basic but the java ebuild
should have added a separate file for java settings,
usually /etc/env.d/20java. Mine contains

# Autogenerated by java-config
# Command: --set-system-vm=ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2
JDK_HOME=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2
JAVAC=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin/javac
PATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin"
ROOTPATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin"
LDPATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin/:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin/classic"
# VERSION="IBM JDK 1.4.2"
JAVA_HOME=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2

As you can see from the comment, maybe you should run java-config to set
up java correctly.

--
Neil Bothwick

Quantum Physics: The dreams that stuff is made of
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:16:04 -0700, Mike S wrote:
>

>>ok I am stumped as to where the $PATH is set. I know in OSX I just
>>added a ~/.profile and every time I opened the terminal that would be
>>read and I could export environmental variables there. however I tried
>>that here, and the file didn't seem to do anything. I open a new
>>terminal and the $PATH is still the same as before.
>>

>It should be set in one or more of the files in /etc/env.d.
>

>>The reason I am trying this is because I just installed limewire, and
>>the java in /opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2 is not in my path. So when I open
>>limewire it can't find the "java" command, which, again, is in
>>/opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin.
>>

>The standard paths are set in /etc/env.d/00basic but the java ebuild
>should have added a separate file for java settings,
>usually /etc/env.d/20java. Mine contains
>
># Autogenerated by java-config
># Command: --set-system-vm=ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2
>JDK_HOME=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2
>JAVAC=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin/javac
>PATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin"
>ROOTPATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/bin:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin"
>LDPATH="/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin/:/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2/jre/bin/classic"
># VERSION="IBM JDK 1.4.2"
>JAVA_HOME=/opt/ibm-jdk-bin-1.4.2
>
>As you can see from the comment, maybe you should run java-config to set
>up java correctly.

I think I have a problem with python or something. I ran java-config,
and that did nothing. I used some options the next time I ran it and I
got some python errors. I even tried putting your thing above into
/etc/env.d/20java and that did nothing. So I am still working on it

--Mike S
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:36:03 -0700, Mike S wrote:

> I think I have a problem with python or something. I ran java-config,
> and that did nothing. I used some options the next time I ran it and I
> got some python errors.

It might be helpful if you told us which options you used and the errors
it gave.

--
Neil Bothwick

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:36:03 -0700, Mike S wrote:
>

>>I think I have a problem with python or something. I ran java-config,
>>and that did nothing. I used some options the next time I ran it and I
>>got some python errors.
>>

>It might be helpful if you told us which options you used and the errors
>it gave.

Didn't really want to bother asking for help, from what I have seen on
this lists there is not a lot of traffic here, which leads me to believe
one of 3 things A. People have better things to do, B. People don't
have problems or C. Not many use Gentoo on the mac, All of these
possibilities seem plausible, and the silence intimidating.

But here's what you asked for:

java-config > Nothing happened
java-config -o > Prints an empty space where output should be
java-config -J >
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/java-config", line 123, in ?
run(option_list)
File "/usr/bin/java-config", line 41, in run
func(args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/java_config/jc_options.py",
line 199, in __call__
print find_exec('java')
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/java_config/jc_util.py", line
99, in find_exec
exec_0 = jh+'/bin/'+exe
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
java-config -c > same as above
java-config -O > same
java-config -v > same

I didn't even bother running the rest because I noticed a pattern, I
either have something not set up right (most likely) or something
emerged wrong (also possible)

I would appreciate as always any help, but not a top priority for me
yet, I managed to figure out the USE flags to get gtk-gnutella to build
on gtk1 which actually gave me a gtk-gnutella program. Building it with
no flags it didn't produce a program, and the only notable difference I
could see was that it linked on GTK1 this time instead of GTK2

I did add /opt/ibm-jre-bin-1.4.2/bin to my $PATH via a line in ~/.bashrc
and started limewire on the terminal, and the output I get is:

(com.limegroup.gnutella.gui.Initializer).

this to me meant that that one line for my PATH won't cut it. Am I correct?

--Mike S
Re: $PATH? [ In reply to ]
Mike S wrote:

> Didn't really want to bother asking for help, from what I have seen on
> this lists there is not a lot of traffic here, which leads me to believe
> one of 3 things A. People have better things to do, B. People don't
> have problems or C. Not many use Gentoo on the mac, All of these
> possibilities seem plausible, and the silence intimidating.

No, you are wrong in all three :) . But most of the Q&A traffic seems to be in
Gentoo forums: http://forums.gentoo.org/ . I suggest that you take a look there,
and also in http://gentoo-wiki.com/ , lots of PPC specific stuff there, too.

JR

--
| me@home ~$whoami ^ ^ | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne ('x') | - Sledge Hammer |