the email I sent! It's not a big problem, though I bet in some cases it
could be, but any help on this would be appreciated.

--Mike S
Re: time [ In reply to ]
Przemysław Maciąg wrote:

>rc.conf? hmmm... I think now this should be set in /etc/conf.d/clock
>
>try that :)
>
>Regards,
>Przemek

I have no /etc/conf.d/clock, but I double checked /etc/rc.conf, and the
CLOCK setting in it said that it was used by /etc/init.d/clock, so I
looked at that, and I didn't know what I was looking at since I don't
know scripts.

But as I read it now it looks like a simple if,then,else saying that if
$CLOCK is set equal to UTC it sets myopts to --utc and TBLURB [UTC],
which I have no idea what those are, but it seems to use --localtime as
the else, so in theory wouldn't that else happen if CLOCK was set to
anything but UTC?

And again, I apologize, I only have limited programming experience, so
if that explanation sucked, I am really really sorry.

--Mike S

Re: time [ In reply to ]
Mike S wrote:

> Przemysław Maciąg wrote:
>
>> rc.conf? hmmm... I think now this should be set in /etc/conf.d/clock
>>
>> try that :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Przemek
>>

> I have no /etc/conf.d/clock, but I double checked /etc/rc.conf, and
> the CLOCK setting in it said that it was used by /etc/init.d/clock, so
> I looked at that, and I didn't know what I was looking at since I
> don't know scripts.
>
> But as I read it now it looks like a simple if,then,else saying that
> if $CLOCK is set equal to UTC it sets myopts to --utc and TBLURB
> [UTC], which I have no idea what those are, but it seems to use
> --localtime as the else, so in theory wouldn't that else happen if
> CLOCK was set to anything but UTC?
>
> And again, I apologize, I only have limited programming experience, so
> if that explanation sucked, I am really really sorry.
>
> --Mike S

Just as a follow up to this I did an emerge -DN world the other day and
apparently my /etc was restructured from what it was originally. CLOCK
used to be set in the /etc/rc.conf, but now it is not and I do have an
/etc/conf.d/clock that I set to local instead of UTC. I also had to
play around with the clock in gnome also but I think it is working fine
now. I have my timezone set in /etc/local and in the gnome clock, and
the time is displayed properly. The emails seem to be coming in at the
right times and such, so I just wanted to say thanks for the help.

--Mike S
Re: time [ In reply to ]
Dnia 10-08-2005, ¶ro o godzinie 01:53 -0700, Mike S napisa³(a):
> Just as a follow up to this I did an emerge -DN world the other day and
> apparently my /etc was restructured from what it was originally. CLOCK
> used to be set in the /etc/rc.conf, but now it is not and I do have an
> /etc/conf.d/clock that I set to local instead of UTC. I also had to
> play around with the clock in gnome also but I think it is working fine
> now. I have my timezone set in /etc/local and in the gnome clock, and
> the time is displayed properly. The emails seem to be coming in at the
> right times and such, so I just wanted to say thanks for the help.

It's good that it works now!

anyway - for short ending comment - CLOCK was removed from rc.conf and
moved to /etc/conf.d/clock some time ago - few months? ;))

I would say that you haven't done any updates for a while (before that
one :) ).

It's good it works now!

Cheers,
Przemek

Re: time [ In reply to ]
Przemys³aw Maci±g wrote:

>Dnia 10-08-2005, ¶ro o godzinie 01:53 -0700, Mike S napisa³(a):
>

>>Just as a follow up to this I did an emerge -DN world the other day and
>>apparently my /etc was restructured from what it was originally. CLOCK
>>used to be set in the /etc/rc.conf, but now it is not and I do have an
>>/etc/conf.d/clock that I set to local instead of UTC. I also had to
>>play around with the clock in gnome also but I think it is working fine
>>now. I have my timezone set in /etc/local and in the gnome clock, and
>>the time is displayed properly. The emails seem to be coming in at the
>>right times and such, so I just wanted to say thanks for the help.
>>

>It's good that it works now!
>
>anyway - for short ending comment - CLOCK was removed from rc.conf and
>moved to /etc/conf.d/clock some time ago - few months? ;))
>
>I would say that you haven't done any updates for a while (before that
>one :) ).
>
>It's good it works now!
>
>Cheers,
>Przemek

You're right. I have only been using gentoo for two weeks, I installed
it and built the rest from the stage 3 tarball on the 2005.0 live cd and
three days ago was the first emerge world I did

Thanks,
--Mike S