this, because this is what I had in mind:

1. Boot Gentoo CD on my blank hard drive. Create an Apple bootstrap
partition.
2. Boot OS 9 CD. Install it.
3. Use XPostFacto to install Tiger.
4. Install Gentoo.

--
Colin

Re: Partitioning for X/9/Linux [ In reply to ]
Colin wrote:
> I want to install OS X (Tiger with XPostFacto), OS 9.2.2 and Gentoo on
> my Powerbook G3 (Lombard). Now, I know I need an Apple Bootstrap
> partition, and I'm going to make an HFS+ for OS X, another HFS+ for OS
> 9, a partition for Gentoo root, and a swap partition.
>
> In which order should I install these three OSes? This sounds too
> complicated. I must be mistaken. Anyone care to shed some light onto
> this, because this is what I had in mind:
>
> 1. Boot Gentoo CD on my blank hard drive. Create an Apple bootstrap
> partition.
> 2. Boot OS 9 CD. Install it.
> 3. Use XPostFacto to install Tiger.
> 4. Install Gentoo.

You need to make the partitions with an Apple disk. I prefer OSX's
partition manager

1. Boot OSX installer, partition in three:
1) Boot strap + swap + Gentoo space (format as "free space" or
something like that)
2) OS 9 space
3) OS X space

2. Once it's partitioned, you can install in any order you want.

n. Install Gentoo - The Gentoo installer will run you through splitting
up the free space into bootstrap/swap/disk space

Good luck!

Michael Moore

Re: Partitioning for X/9/Linux [ In reply to ]
On Jul 8, 2005, at 10:25 PM, Michael Moore wrote:

> You need to make the partitions with an Apple disk. I prefer OSX's
> partition manager
>
> 1. Boot OSX installer, partition in three:
> 1) Boot strap + swap + Gentoo space (format as "free space" or
> something like that)
> 2) OS 9 space
> 3) OS X space
>
> 2. Once it's partitioned, you can install in any order you want.
>
> n. Install Gentoo - The Gentoo installer will run you through
> splitting up the free space into bootstrap/swap/disk space

I can confirn this: the key is getting the bootstrap and swap
partitions in place. After that, the relative locations of the
operating systems themselves don't matter a lot, at least on modern
machines.

I've also successfully used the Gentoo instructions to do the job,
partitioning with mac-fdisk, and following pretty much the same
partition layout. It should also be noted that if you hold down the
option key during the boot process, all of the bootable partitions will
show up and you can pick the one you want.

One final thing: there is a limit on the size of the bootable partition
on a Lombard (it needs to occur within the first 8 GB of you disk). I
*think* using yaboot in a tiny boot partition will get around this, but
I don't have a machine of that vintage with a big enough disk to try
it.

--- Joe M.

Re: Partitioning for X/9/Linux [ In reply to ]
Joe McMahon wrote:

> One final thing: there is a limit on the size of the bootable
> partition on a Lombard (it needs to occur within the first 8 GB of you
> disk). I *think* using yaboot in a tiny boot partition will get around
> this, but I don't have a machine of that vintage with a big enough
> disk to try it.

Great, I just dropped in a beautiful 100 GB hard drive... < brag
topic="HardDriveSpecs">100 GB, 5400 RPM, 16 MB cache... oh yeah! </brag>

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem. The 10 GB hard drive that came with
the computer had one large partition (~9.7 GB) which successfully booted
Mac OS 9.0.4, so my guess is that any partition should boot just fine.
The only problems with the Lombard hard drive controller AFAIK are the
137 GB barrier and the fact that most ATA-6/7 hard drives aren't
usable. (Earlier IDE Macs, though, like the Beige G3 and early iMacs
did have an 8 GB boot code boundary.)

--
Colin