Mailing List Archive

openoffice
Hello there!

This time I try this forum. ;)
So more user can learn from my mistakes...

My problem:

I have tried to emerge openoffice (1.1.4-r1), but somehow it did not
work. I tried three times: first, after four hours of compiling had a
failure, the second try locked the whole computer, the third try failed
after about 20 minutes (somewhere around berkleydb, had a segmentation
problem).
At the beginning the compiling process has a notification about that
it's not an easy task, and openoffice is vulnerable for some chflags
settings. (Beside it's a huge package).
Is there a special way to emerge openoffice, or shall i just go with the
-bin package?

Oh, by the way. My hw is a PegasosII with G4...

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
PegasosII-G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Hello Peter,

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 13:14 +0200, Peter Kiraly wrote:
[snip]
> I have tried to emerge openoffice (1.1.4-r1), but somehow it did not
> work. I tried three times: first, after four hours of compiling had a
> failure, the second try locked the whole computer, the third try failed
> after about 20 minutes (somewhere around berkleydb, had a segmentation
> problem).

Did the compiler segfault? If it did then it sounds more like a
toolchain/kernel problem than an openoffice problem.

> At the beginning the compiling process has a notification about that
> it's not an easy task, and openoffice is vulnerable for some chflags
> settings. (Beside it's a huge package).
> Is there a special way to emerge openoffice, or shall i just go with the
> -bin package?

You shouldn't have to do anything special, but openoffice is a bit of a
bitch to compile (mostly due to the amount of time it takes though). The
openoffice-bin package is a bit old on ppc, it's based on an RPM. You
can (usually) grab a binary package of openoffice (built on Gentoo) from
my dev page, http://dev.gentoo.org/~dholm/ppc.html

Did you solve your DMA issues?

//David Holm
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Hello David!

You are sure a professional! Unfortunately I'm just learning this whole
linux world.
I will try to emerge openoffice again, this time will do a log to record
things.
About this 'toolchain' thing. There was other packages (firefox for
example) 'who' was complained about updating this toolchain. But they're
seems working.

> Did you solve your DMA issues?

Oh yes! Sorry... The line 'all_args="-d1"' is already in hdparm's config
file. Just added hdparm to runlevel, then it's all good :)
Thank you for the help!!!!!

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
PegasosII-G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 02 June 2005 07:14 am, Peter Kiraly wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> This time I try this forum. ;)
> So more user can learn from my mistakes...
>
> My problem:
>
> I have tried to emerge openoffice (1.1.4-r1), but somehow it did not
> work. I tried three times: first, after four hours of compiling had a
> failure, the second try locked the whole computer, the third try failed
> after about 20 minutes (somewhere around berkleydb, had a segmentation
> problem).
> At the beginning the compiling process has a notification about that
> it's not an easy task, and openoffice is vulnerable for some chflags
> settings. (Beside it's a huge package).
> Is there a special way to emerge openoffice, or shall i just go with the
> -bin package?
>
> Oh, by the way. My hw is a PegasosII with G4...

Do you have kernel preemption enabled? I had problems like that when I did.
Kernel preemption is broken on PPC.

You can also restart the ebuild with the "ebuild" command, so you don't loose
any work that has been done. ("ebuild <path to ebuild> merge")

Good luck,
Erik

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Erik Zeek & Joseph Jezak wrote:

> Do you have kernel preemption enabled? I had problems like that when I did.
> Out of curiosity, do you have kernel preemption enabled?

Stupid me... I missed that note from the handbook...
Just made a kernel disabled that preemption... Then will see.

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
PegasosII-G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Ok. I give up on this one... Have no sucsess :(
A log file has benn created. If anyone interested, I can send it over.

If it counts, my cflags settings:
CFLAGS="-mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -O2 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
-fno-strict-aliasing -fsigned-char -pipe"

Thank you for your help!

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
Pegasos II G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
David Holm wrote:

> Did the compiler segfault? If it did then it sounds more like a
> toolchain/kernel problem than an openoffice problem.

Hello!

Just thinking... Is there a way to check that toolchain/kernel thing?
If I understand this toolchain, maybe some part of it broken on my sytem?

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
Pegasos II G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC :)
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Peter Kiraly <rogerius@vnet.hu> illum scripsit:
> In the mean time, tried to emerge Abiword. It had 7 dependents. All
> compiled nicely, only abiword failed. Some sort of seg.fault again. Then
> tried again (this time only abiword left to be compile) and wow... Success!

Do you have a working swap partition? You may want to take a look at
this:

http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

HTH

Ben

--
() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:32 +0200, Peter Kiraly wrote:
> David Holm wrote:
>
> > Did the compiler segfault? If it did then it sounds more like a
> > toolchain/kernel problem than an openoffice problem.
>
> Hello!
>
> Just thinking... Is there a way to check that toolchain/kernel thing?
> If I understand this toolchain, maybe some part of it broken on my sytem?

The toolchain consists of three packages (correct me if I'm wrong Luca):
binutils, gcc, and glibc.
Try removing '-fsigned-char' from your CFLAGS, it shouldn't be required
any more and might be the reason why OO.org doesn't compile.

//David Holm
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
Ok. I have another story:

In the mean time, tried to emerge Abiword. It had 7 dependents. All
compiled nicely, only abiword failed. Some sort of seg.fault again. Then
tried again (this time only abiword left to be compile) and wow... Success!

If I'm right gcc is part of the toolchain. On my system, I have
gcc-3.4.1-r3. But there is a 3.4.3-r1 stable available. Shall I try to
emerge that? May it help?

--
Best regards - Udvozlettel:

Peter Kiraly
¤-----------------------------¤
Pegasos II G4@1GHz
Gentoo Linux PPC :)
¤-----------------------------¤

Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 17:18 +0200, Peter Kiraly wrote:
> Ok. I have another story:
>
> In the mean time, tried to emerge Abiword. It had 7 dependents. All
> compiled nicely, only abiword failed. Some sort of seg.fault again. Then
> tried again (this time only abiword left to be compile) and wow... Success!
>
> If I'm right gcc is part of the toolchain. On my system, I have
> gcc-3.4.1-r3. But there is a 3.4.3-r1 stable available. Shall I try to
> emerge that? May it help?

Upgrade binutils, gcc and preferably also glibc if newer versions of
them exist.
Re: openoffice [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 17:03:51 +0200, Ben Waltmann <benwaltmann@web.de>
wrote:

> Do you have a working swap partition?

I think I do... But now I'm not sure about things... The memory usage
never reached 3/4 since this system has installed (according to Xfce's
memory meter (got 512MB)) On other distro the swap got used, when the
'real' memory was full. It shall be the same here.

Aother thing... Again...

I tried to update gcc... I had 3.4.1, there is an update (stabel) to
3.4.3... The emerge and compile woked ok. But... Now a few (or a lot)
things doesn't work... Cannot do env-update, emerge doesn't work... Got
trouble loading shared libraries... (Mostly libstdc++.so.6)
At the end of making gcc there was a note about this problem, suggesting
to run fix_libtools_files.sh. But this one is arguing about the same
librari...
It's like a dragon for me :) Cut one head off, two more grow... But I will
not give up by now. I feel like close to a solution, and hope its only a
small glitch...