Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Gentoo/OSX Dual-Boot
HowTo? I am going to finally do it!

Matthew Polashek
RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
On 12:36 Thu 28 Apr , Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the direction of a good Gentoo/OSX Dual-Boot
> HowTo? I am going to finally do it!
>

> Matthew Polashek

So, Read the Gentoo Handbook step by step and you will have dualboot
gentoo/osx, Gentoo Handbook is located here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml

//mil0t

RE: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
Ok, cool, so all that stuff is good to go? No caveats?

RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
On 13:44 Thu 28 Apr , Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> Ok, cool, so all that stuff is good to go? No caveats?
>
> Matthew Polashek

Of course, i followed all the instructions of the Gentoo Handbook and
installed Gentoo on my iBook G3 ( NewWorld Macintosh ), i don't need any
dualbooting with OSX at all because i can work with Linux without
dualbooting with an MacOSX, so follow the instructions and we can see if you
have any problems we can fix that ;).

//mil0t

RE: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
Cool, man. I'd go the full boat, but I still need Finale for music
notation. (Powerbook 17" 1.5) I think I'll split the hard drive into 2
separate 40 gig partitions and go form there. Make sense?

Matthew Polashek

RE: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
Just remember, since Broadcom won't release specs for the Airport Extreme, you won't have wireless.

Kinda sucks, but, oh well.

More info: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-862.html
Sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/BCM4301/
SourceForge project: http://linux-bcom4301.sf.net/

chris.

________________________________

RE: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
Yeah that's a major nuts-vise, also, all the more reason to do a dual
boot.

Matthew Polashek

Re: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
* Hota, Chris G <cghota@mail.midsouth.ualr.edu> [2005-04-29]:
> Just remember, since Broadcom won't release specs for the Airport Extreme, you won't have wireless.

You can still use a WLAN USB dongle. I got the D-Link DWL-122
working on my iBook G4 with the linux-wlan-ng drivers. Tricky
setup, (and poor D-Link hardware), but better than nothing and it
cost me just something about EUR25 and a few hours sleep.

And with a PB or AB you will even be able to use PCMCIA WLAN
cards. AFAIK plenty of them are supported under Linux.

:wq
Re: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 15:05 +0200, Markus Moebs wrote:
> * Hota, Chris G <cghota@mail.midsouth.ualr.edu> [2005-04-29]:
> > Just remember, since Broadcom won't release specs for the Airport Extreme, you won't have wireless.

The Airport Extreme also has its caveats that might make one buy a
PCMCIA/USB wireless even under OSX, namely that it will not run in
Active mode under KisMAC, which has been frustrating when I needed
wireless but couldn't crack a simple WEP key.

> You can still use a WLAN USB dongle. I got the D-Link DWL-122
> working on my iBook G4 with the linux-wlan-ng drivers. Tricky
> setup, (and poor D-Link hardware), but better than nothing and it
> cost me just something about EUR25 and a few hours sleep.

Avoid wlan-ng drivers at all costs. If you get a USB or PCMCIA PRISM2 or
Orinoco based card (there are several, use google), you'll have full
in-kernel support and be able to work with the wireless-tools package.
> And with a PB or AB you will even be able to use PCMCIA WLAN
> cards. AFAIK plenty of them are supported under Linux.
>
> :wq
Cheers

Re: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
* Sam Halicke <tuscantwelve@gmail.com> [2005-05-02]:
> The Airport Extreme also has its caveats that might make one buy a
> PCMCIA/USB wireless even under OSX, namely that it will not run in
> Active mode under KisMAC,

AEX cannot be put into _passive_ scanning mode under OSX. This
actually was the reason why I bought the dongle. I got frustrated
of the whole OS a few weeks later and installed gentoo.

> Avoid wlan-ng drivers at all costs. If you get a USB or PCMCIA PRISM2 or
> Orinoco based card (there are several, use google), you'll have full
> in-kernel support and be able to work with the wireless-tools package.

The DWL-122 I have _is_ equipped with the prism2 chip and AFAIK it
is not supported internally because it is neither a PCMCIA nor a
PCI card. I would be glad if you proved me wrong. Actually I have
not found any WLAN USB device that is supported by the kernel
directly (on the x86 platform many seem to be working with
ndiswrapper).

:wq
Re: RE: Dual Boot HowTo [ In reply to ]
Markus Moebs <wonderful_spam@gmx.de> skrev:

> The DWL-122 I have _is_ equipped with the prism2 chip and AFAIK it
> is not supported internally because it is neither a PCMCIA nor a
> PCI card. I would be glad if you proved me wrong. Actually I have
> not found any WLAN USB device that is supported by the kernel
> directly (on the x86 platform many seem to be working with
> ndiswrapper).

Have a look at
<http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>. USB rt2500
aren't supported yet, but there's reason to be optimistic. Also,
RT2500:s are dirt cheap (at least in Sweden). I have a Canyon cardbus
card and it works perfectly in my x86 laptop. From what I've read in
the rt2x00 mailing lists, it doesn't seem to work too well on PPC yet,
but people are actively hunting down the big- endian bugs in the driver.

/Rasmus Wiman

Windsurfing is a great metaphor for life. If you can get in the harness
and foot straps, then you are a person who doesn't give up after the
first try. That goes a long way in this world.
- Björn Dunckerbeck