Mailing List Archive

Issue with libstdc++ install
I have had the following issue on numerous emerges. It looks like
something in libstdc++ is fragged. Here is the error I have received
on 5 emerges. The two that I recall it happening on is gnome-vfs and
k3b.

This is the traceback from the gnome-vfs emerge failure:

creating libnetwork.la
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ar cru .libs/libfile.a file-method.o fstype.o
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib .libs/libfile.a
creating libfile.la
/bin/sed: can't read
/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.la: No such
file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.la'
is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libfile.la] Error 1
(cd .libs && rm -f libnetwork.la && ln -s ../libnetwork.la libnetwork.la)
snip.....

Any ideas? I am running libstdc++-V3 vers 3.4.4.

Ben Ricker

--
Ben Ricker
He's just this guy, you know?
Re: Issue with libstdc++ install [ In reply to ]
Ben Ricker (ben.ricker@gmail.com) scribbled:
> I have had the following issue on numerous emerges. It looks like
> something in libstdc++ is fragged. Here is the error I have received
> on 5 emerges. The two that I recall it happening on is gnome-vfs and
> k3b.
>
> This is the traceback from the gnome-vfs emerge failure:
>
> creating libnetwork.la
> powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ar cru .libs/libfile.a file-method.o fstype.o
> powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu-ranlib .libs/libfile.a
> creating libfile.la
> /bin/sed: can't read
> /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.la: No such
> file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.la'
> is not a valid libtool archive
> make[3]: *** [libfile.la] Error 1
> (cd .libs && rm -f libnetwork.la && ln -s ../libnetwork.la libnetwork.la)
> snip.....
>
> Any ideas? I am running libstdc++-V3 vers 3.4.4.

Before the flames start, search for 'fix_libtool_files.sh' in the
archives/google. This is a frequent problem due to hardcoded version
numbers.

# fix_libtools_files.sh <version>

hth,

Cooper.
Re: Issue with libstdc++ install [ In reply to ]
At 08:02 -0500 on 2005-4-7 Ben Ricker wrote:

> I have had the following issue on numerous emerges. It looks like
> something in libstdc++ is fragged. Here is the error I have received
> on 5 emerges. The two that I recall it happening on is gnome-vfs and
> k3b.

It seems to be a bug in the gcc 3.4.3 ebuild. You need to run
fix_libtool_files.sh and the problem will go away. Run it first
without arguments to see the usage, but in a nutshell you should do

fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.1

Stefan

--
``There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things.''
``I daresay you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I