Nick Smith a.k.a. Computer Nick
Web - http://www.computernick.com
Email - Nick@ComputerNick.com

Re: bootstrap partition [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:20:05 -0500 (EST) "Nick Smith" <nick@computernick.com> wrote:

> i thought i read somewhere that G3 computers dont need a
> bootstrap partition, im at the part in the handbook where i have
> to configure the bootloader yaboot and its looking for a
> bootstrap partition, how do i get around this if i dont need
> one? can someone post their config file? this is my setup:
>
> hda3 - swap
> hda2 - root
> hda1 - OS X
>
> please dont tell me i did all this for nothing.

If you really need the bootstrap partition, you can split your swap
partition. Probably 800K won't make a big difference.

Mario

Re: bootstrap partition [ In reply to ]
<quote who="Mario Domenech Goulart">
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:20:05 -0500 (EST) "Nick Smith"
> <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
>
>> i thought i read somewhere that G3 computers dont need a
>> bootstrap partition, im at the part in the handbook where i
>> have
>> to configure the bootloader yaboot and its looking for a
>> bootstrap partition, how do i get around this if i dont need
>> one? can someone post their config file? this is my setup:
>>
>> hda3 - swap
>> hda2 - root
>> hda1 - OS X
>>
>> please dont tell me i did all this for nothing.
>
> If you really need the bootstrap partition, you can split your
> swap
> partition. Probably 800K won't make a big difference.
>
> Mario
but do i really need a bootstrap partition to complete the
install is the question or is there a work around?

Re: bootstrap partition [ In reply to ]
* Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> [05/02/20 21:58 -0500]:
> but do i really need a bootstrap partition to complete the
> install is the question or is there a work around?

You need it for yaboot. There is currently no other
well-tested boot-loader for NewWorld machines.

Regards, Lars
Re: bootstrap partition [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 09:58:01PM -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
> <quote who="Mario Domenech Goulart">
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:20:05 -0500 (EST) "Nick Smith"
> > <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
> >
> >> i thought i read somewhere that G3 computers dont need a
> >> bootstrap partition, im at the part in the handbook where i
> >> have
> >> to configure the bootloader yaboot and its looking for a
> >> bootstrap partition, how do i get around this if i dont need
> >> one? can someone post their config file? this is my setup:
> >>
> >> hda3 - swap
> >> hda2 - root
> >> hda1 - OS X
> >>
> >> please dont tell me i did all this for nothing.
> >
> > If you really need the bootstrap partition, you can split your
> > swap
> > partition. Probably 800K won't make a big difference.
> >
> > Mario
> but do i really need a bootstrap partition to complete the
> install is the question or is there a work around?

No, you don't absolutely need it. The openfirware can boot kernel (or
boot image?) from the OS X partition. But if I were you, I would just
split the swap and reorder the partitions in the table, the bootstrap
should be before OS X in the table (no need to reorder data on disk,
only names in the table).

David

---

David BĂ©langer