Mailing List Archive

problems with gentoo on bone-stock powermac
I've spend the most of the past 4 evenings trying to get gentoo to install on
my PowerMac. Bone stock, 800 Quicksilver. Nothing special, nothing strange.

Reformatted the disk and followed the PPC install handbook.

I built the defult picked ethernet drivers as modules and also the Sun GEM
module (though I don't have gigabit eth). However, after going through all
that, the system boots and it does not see that it has an ethernet card.

Before this last complete install I had the drivers build into the kernel.
Same results.

But when booting from the 2004.1 CDROM, it sees the network with no problem.

Is the 2.6 kernel on ppc kinda buggy/broken? Anyone have a clue what might be
the problem?

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.

Re: problems with gentoo on bone-stock powermac [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Michael George wrote:

> I've spend the most of the past 4 evenings trying to get gentoo to install on
> my PowerMac. Bone stock, 800 Quicksilver. Nothing special, nothing strange.
>
> Reformatted the disk and followed the PPC install handbook.
>
> I built the defult picked ethernet drivers as modules and also the Sun GEM
> module (though I don't have gigabit eth). However, after going through all
> that, the system boots and it does not see that it has an ethernet card.
>
> Before this last complete install I had the drivers build into the kernel.
> Same results.
>
> But when booting from the 2004.1 CDROM, it sees the network with no problem.
>
> Is the 2.6 kernel on ppc kinda buggy/broken? Anyone have a clue what might be
> the problem?

have you configured your card correctly? -> /etc/conf.d/net, rc-update and
so on..
what says ifconfig?
the kernel is not broken.

Re: problems with gentoo on bone-stock powermac [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 07:15:53AM -0700, stuporglue wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:15:01 -0400, Michael George
> <george@mutualdata.com> wrote:
> > I've spend the most of the past 4 evenings trying to get gentoo to install on
> > my PowerMac. Bone stock, 800 Quicksilver. Nothing special, nothing strange.
> >
> > Reformatted the disk and followed the PPC install handbook.
> >
> > I built the defult picked ethernet drivers as modules and also the Sun GEM
> > module (though I don't have gigabit eth). However, after going through all
> > that, the system boots and it does not see that it has an ethernet card.
> >
> > Before this last complete install I had the drivers build into the kernel.
> > Same results.
> >
> > But when booting from the 2004.1 CDROM, it sees the network with no problem.
> >
> > Is the 2.6 kernel on ppc kinda buggy/broken? Anyone have a clue what might be
> > the problem?
>
> If you built them as modules, you need to load them for the device to
> show up. You can auto load them at boot by editing
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, or you can manually load them
> afterwards.To see the modules you can load run "modprobe -l" as root.
> Odds are there are a bunch of them, so you may want to try "modprobe
> -l | grep ***" substituting sun, gem, eth, net, or other things that
> may show up in a module name. When you have the module name, run
> (again, as root) "modprobe gem" or whatever it is.

You were right, I have to have the system automatically load the module for
the ethernet driver. I guess I was used to SuSE and RHL where the right
kernel modules "just work". I guess I could build the Sun GEM driver into the
kernel and then there would be no problems, either. Before I had the wrong
driver built in...

Thanks!