Mailing List Archive

how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?
I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like
2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use
livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
Thanks!
Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Did you try to follow this :
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2008.0/handbook-ppc.xml ?

I installed gentoo on my iBook g3 with this handbook and it worked fine for
me.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM, mv.1001 <mv1001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like
> 2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use
> livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
> Thanks!

Ugo Cupcic
http://ugocupcic.freehostia.com/
_
' v '
/ \
m m
Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3? [ In reply to ]
hi,Ugo..

I know the handbook. but I try to use the precompiled kernel without emerge
kernel-source. you know, I tried the x86 handbook for use livecd kernel to
install gentoo. but it doesn't work for me. I cant find the assign directory
and file. That's my problem.
anyone done this before? pls help me.

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3? [ In reply to ]
What do you mean by the precompiled kernel ?

Why would you use the handbook for x86 ?

Perhaps try the handbook for ppc, if you get stuck on a particular step,
ask about that step. There is also #gentoo-powerpc on irc, kinda quiet
there sometimes so you might have to wait a while.

matt

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

the pre-compiled kernel (which the cd boots from) is placed in
the /boot-directory of the cd, I believe.

You can copy it from there to your mounted gentoo-partition.

Maybe you also should copy the initrd/initramdisk from this directory
and the /lib/modules-dir.

And of course, you need to add it to yaboot manually.

But I've to say, this kernel is pretty generic, and won't fit your
hardware in an optimal way.

I only used it as a fallback-option once, when I remote-set up a
headless
system and it worked so far, but better build your own kernel.

Regards,
Friedrich
Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3? [ In reply to ]
The kernel can be found at: /boot/ppc32

You will also need the modules and initrd to actually use this kernel.
It's really not recommended as it's configured to get the most machines
booting, not take advantage of any of your hardware. It would be better
to simply install the kernel source and use "make defconfig" to achieve
largely the same results.

-Joe