What about hal? Is that only x86?

Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
config file?

I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
and I'll get it quickly.

Thanks,
Mark
Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 22 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older
> Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I
> can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I
> only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log
> file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both.
>
> In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev".
>
> What about hal? Is that only x86?
>
> Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
> config file?
>
> I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
> awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
> and I'll get it quickly.

I have a similar problem.

I did have XFCE running quite happily on an old G3 (Blue&White) PowerMac,
but the recent X server upgrades have borked that up completely. Ive
followed the upgrade guides without getting anywhere. Im looking for a X
config file too.

Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...

Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:58 AM, Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>  Are there any known issues setting up X with xorgconfig on a older
>> Mac Mini? I've done it more or less like I do on my x86 machines. I
>> can use startx and see things (xterm, xclock, etc.) in 'top' but I
>> only get a black screen. There are no error messages in the X log
>> file. I've tried two monitors. Same results on both.
>>
>>  In make.cong I've got VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev".
>>
>>  What about hal? Is that only x86?
>>
>>  Maybe someone with a similar first round Mac Mini has a known-good
>> config file?
>>
>>  I'm really a noob on this platform, but have used Gentoo for quite
>> awhile. I'm not sure what info to provide so let me know what you need
>> and I'll get it quickly.
>
> I have a similar problem.
>
> I did have XFCE running quite happily on an old G3 (Blue&White) PowerMac,
> but the recent X server upgrades have borked that up completely. Ive
> followed the upgrade guides without getting anywhere. Im looking for a X
> config file too.
>
> Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...

No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the
archives how little traffic there had been.

I got past my problems without really needing X. My Mac Mini is now
acting as a headless backend MythTV server. I don't need or even want
X on that machine. When I posted my question I was in the process of
debug and could have used it then but it wasn't to be.

None the less it would be good to figure out what's wrong with X on
the Mac Mini and get it working for your needs.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
>> Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...
>
> No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the
> archives how little traffic there had been.

there are still ppc users!
Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM, <mattmatteh@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Doesn't seem to be much traffic on this list though...
>>
>> No, this list is pretty dead. I Was shocked when I looked at the
>> archives how little traffic there had been.
>
> there are still ppc users!

Yes! But if we don't create traffic we give the impression there aren't any.

I don't expect this list to be as active as gentoo-users, but still,
let's talk once in awhile!

- Mark
Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
I have gentoo running on two PowerMac G5s,
and have xorg-server-1.5 now mostly working.
I have two monitors on each machine --- if you have only one,
your xorg.conf could be much simpler (perhaps even removed?).
After figuring things out, I must admit that the dual-monitor set-up
using xrandr got much easier --- I never had time to get the
second monitor here connected (it is different from home),
and with the new scheme, I just transferred the essentials of the setup
from home and it worked.

I attach file for the machine I am at right now;
I believe the two remaining ``InputDevice'' lines in ``ServerLayout''
should really be removed, too.

The ``Virtual'' is only needed for xrandr (i.e., multiple monotors, or if
you want to rotate your single monitor).

Wolfram
Re: X on an older PPC-based Mac Mini? [ In reply to ]
If it can help, my xorg.conf and hal file (for keyboard) from my
Powerbook G4.

Mounir