error. I also tried rebuilding my xorg.conf and also tried removing it
entirely to see if autodetection would work (it didn't).

So, does anyone have a sane working xorg.conf file for G3 PPC machines?

Re: XOrg upgrade problems [ In reply to ]
Ajai Khattri wrote:

> The recent xorg upgrade has basically disabled my desktop. Im using an
> aging G3 Mac (Blue & White) with an ATi Rage 128 card and have spent a
> long time going through upgrade guides and Googling. Yes,Ive rebuilt
> my drivers. Yes I have the hal USE flag enabled. Yes, my input device
> is set as per the upgrade guide.
>
> The error with my old config is the "R128(0): Failed to open
> framebuffer" error. I also tried rebuilding my xorg.conf and also
> tried removing it entirely to see if autodetection would work (it
> didn't).
>
> So, does anyone have a sane working xorg.conf file for G3 PPC machines?

Do you have the R128 framebuffer built into your kernel?

-Joe
Re: XOrg upgrade problems [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 May 2009, Joseph Jezak wrote:

> Do you have the R128 framebuffer built into your kernel?

I believe I do:

$ uname -a
Linux eskimo 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #1 Fri Mar 20 22:08:17 EDT 2009 ppc 740/750 PowerMac1,1 GNU/Linux

$ grep 128 /boot/config-2.6.27-gentoo-r8
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_1280 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_R128=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY128=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY128_BACKLIGHT=y