1. backup my Linux
2. Install Mac OS 9
3. Install Mac OS X. It should help me to configure it as dual boot.
while leave some empty space;
4. restore the Linux backup and run yaboot.

Is this correct?

Best regards
Zhang Weiwu
Re: new world is a type of hardware or software? [ In reply to ]
Hardware.

So I believe that if you are using an iBook G3, you should always
configure as a "New World." I am assuming its not a clamshell looking
thing. Installing OS9 wouldn't change this.

You might want to set up the partitions using mac-fdisk, as I think the
OSX disk utility costs you some extra blocks. Just put the separate
partitions for OS9 and OSX anywhere after the tiny bootstrap partition,
and configure yaboot accordingly.

At least I think this is correct, someone please correct me if I am
wrong. Best of luck!

Re: new world is a type of hardware or software? [ In reply to ]
Alden Huang wrote:
> Hardware.
>
> So I believe that if you are using an iBook G3, you should always
> configure as a "New World." I am assuming its not a clamshell looking
> thing. Installing OS9 wouldn't change this.
>
> You might want to set up the partitions using mac-fdisk, as I think
> the OSX disk utility costs you some extra blocks. Just put the
> separate partitions for OS9 and OSX anywhere after the tiny bootstrap
> partition, and configure yaboot accordingly.
>
> At least I think this is correct, someone please correct me if I am
> wrong. Best of luck!
Hi thanks a lot for the information. So in fact Mac OS 9 must support
"New World" otherwise it wouldn't be able to install at all. The
salesman who sold me this notebook 4 years ago said it can run mac OS 9,
so it should support New World. I have the discos with me so I'll try a
bit later.

Thanks.