I enabled quite a lot modules for different hardware
(Ethernet-Cards, SCSI-Cards, SATA, RAID, ISDN, speakup
systems etc.) and disabled additional stuff (parallel port,
game port, sound stuff).

With some changes this kernel would also be interesting for
our Apple-Kernel?

Please look over it and tell me what you think.

Regards, Lars
Re: Pegasos Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
Hi,
great work, but I do have a couple of suggestions.

Device Drivers -> SCSI Device support -> SCSI low-level drivers:
SYM53C8XX should probably be compiled into the kernel since Smart
Firmware can boot from these devices and someone might be using a SCSI
CD-drive.

Device Drivers -> Multi-device support: Do we have to compile raid and
the Device mapper into the kernel instead as modules?

Device Drivers -> Graphics support: compile the following into the
kernel: Matrox acceleration, ATI Radeon (old, some cards seem to require
it), ATI Rage128, 3Dfx (both drivers)
You can disable Console display driver support -> VGA text console, that
is for x86 only.

Device Drivers -> USB support: It wouldn't hurt to enable the USB 2.0
controller, some people are using PCI cards with USB 2.0 controllers.

File systems: Compile JFS as a module, I have used it at least once :)
We might as well compile NFS Server support as a module. NFS can be a
life saver in case you forgot some file on another computer, and not all
systems support serving NFS (like MorphOS).

In case these modifications break the size barrier simply enable General
setup -> Configure standard kernel features -> Optimize for size

//David

Re: Pegasos Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
Thanks David, these are really good suggestions and I wasn't
aware of some.

I will update the config later (currently it looks like
tomorrow).

Regards, Lars
Re: Pegasos Kernel-config for the LiveCD [ In reply to ]
* Lars Weiler <pylon@gentoo.org> [05/01/06 13:26 +0100]:
> I will update the config later (currently it looks like
> tomorrow).

So, I applied the changes and made a testrun. I just don't
tested how large the kernel with the initrd included will
be. Now it's 1.8MB (-Os does good work :-) ).

I furthermore enabled SMP, as I guess that a SMP-CPU-board
will be released during the period between 2005.0 and
2005.1.

Pieter, can you tell me the correct bootcommand for the
Pegasos? I couldn't find it any more (beside booting the
machine with a livecd etc.), but I remember we had some
issues with it while we compiled 2004.3.

Regards, Lars