Mailing List Archive

compilation machine
compilation machine [ In reply to ]
Hello guys,

As I told some of you in frankfurt, I might have the possibility of getting a
big hp machine. Here is what it is

http://peoples.mandrakesoft.com/~erwan/doc/lxr8500.pdf

This machine has :

8*Xeon900Mhz(2M cache) yes, 8 cpus
16G of Ram yes, 16 giga
2*18G hard drive in RAID1

the bad things :
it weights 65 kg
it is big (6U)
it eats power (1.5 KW)
it can have only 2 hard drives
the RAM access is not the fastest in the world

but this machine still kicks ass :) It can handle 1000 of loads, and you have
still control (has been tested). I don't know if it delivers more instant power
than a dual g5 though.

This could be perfect for compilation, or cross compilation. And for anything
cpu consuming task.

Maybe it would need new hard drives, but it is expensive.

Would this be useful ?

The guy is ok to give it to us if it is fully used. So we need to list him what
we have today, and how we would use this machine.

--
dams