Mailing List Archive

[PREFIX] Freeze of the prefixed portage tree
On 22-03-2006 11:26:24 -0600, Kito wrote:
> FINE! I'll start checking in the portage changes to svn. That being said, in
> case any of you are in the habit of running the svn version, it'll be broken
> for a bit.
>
> >I can help with changing ebuilds/eclasses, as I'm currently in a fight
> >with binutils, gcc and glibc anyway.
>
> Ok, why don't you keep all your changes local and we'll try to
> coordinate a big atomic commit this weekend perhaps?

Ok, this is an official warning to all people using the prefixed portage
tree:

!!! The tree is from now on FROZEN !!!

Please DO NOT commit to the prefixed portage tree to allow those that
develop on prefixed portage to change the tree and test whether it works
as expected.

Kito will coordinate this process and he will decide when the tree gets
unfrozen again. For all questions, urgent matters, etc. contact kito.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [PREFIX] Freeze of the prefixed portage tree [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Grobian wrote:

> On 22-03-2006 11:26:24 -0600, Kito wrote:
>> FINE! I'll start checking in the portage changes to svn. That
>> being said, in
>> case any of you are in the habit of running the svn version, it'll
>> be broken
>> for a bit.
>>
>>> I can help with changing ebuilds/eclasses, as I'm currently in a
>>> fight
>>> with binutils, gcc and glibc anyway.

Ok, I've done what 'looked' right in svn, but I haven't touched
binutils-config yet.

>> Ok, why don't you keep all your changes local and we'll try to
>> coordinate a big atomic commit this weekend perhaps?
>
> Ok, this is an official warning to all people using the prefixed
> portage
> tree:
>
> !!! The tree is from now on FROZEN !!!

!!! The tree is from now on UNFROZEN !!!

woot.

> Please DO NOT commit to the prefixed portage tree to allow those that
> develop on prefixed portage to change the tree and test whether it
> works
> as expected.

Ok, its ready for testing now. A few notes:

• the --with-rootuid option to configure has been removed, just use
--with-rootuser
• If you have an existing prefix install, you will have to upgrade
portage manually from the tarball[1]. See the wiki[2] for quick
pseudo-instructions.
• If you have the hack in bashrc to append PREFIX to ROOT, take it
out. ROOT should behave correctly now.
• The portage ebuild will respect the following envvars:
--with-user=${PORTAGE_USER:-portage} \
--with-group=${PORTAGE_GROUP:-portage} \
--with-rootuser=${PORTAGE_INST_USER:-root} \
--with-wheelgid=${PORTAGE_INST_GID:-0} \
--with-offset-prefix=${EPREFIX}
• ${EDEST} is the package build image dir, without the appended prefix
• ${EPREFIX} is the 'offset-prefix' i.e. /opt/gentoo, /Library/Gentoo
• ${ROOT} in ebuilds should handle ${EPREFIX} transparently
• The current portage snapshot is using the experimental Manifest2
format.

> Kito will coordinate this process and he will decide when the tree
> gets
> unfrozen again. For all questions, urgent matters, etc. contact kito.

That was enough for me. For all further breakage, consult Fabian :p

--Kito

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~kito/distfiles/portage-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
[2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix