Say the word and I'll make the change in the next snapshot and
cleanup the ebuild repo.

--Kito

Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On 19-03-2006 16:13:19 -0600, Kito wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I forgot to mention this at the meeting. I found a few packages (not in
> portage currently thankfully) that have namespace collisions with the ${DEST}
> var. My thought is to change it to ${DD}, as in 'DESTDIR'.
>
> Thoughts? Better idea for a name?

The only thing that comes to my mind as alternative is "${EDEST}".
Might be slightly more self-explanatory. I don't care much about which
of the two it will become, as long as the change is done atomic ;)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On a related note:
What about using ${EPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? ${PREFIX} at least
clashes with the toolchain-funcs eclass, and might as well be used by
other packages.

Does it make sense to anyone?

Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
Hi,

related to renaming things:

Have there been any more thoughts or even implementations to [1]
about having a function to query the prefix of a required package ?

My first goal are not the interdomain-deps, but to have a portage-
feature to install each non-system-package into a separate subdir within
the same portage-domain.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.macosx/809

-- haubi

Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2006, at 5:47 AM, Grobian wrote:

> On a related note:
> What about using ${EPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? ${PREFIX} at least
> clashes with the toolchain-funcs eclass, and might as well be used by
> other packages.
>
> Does it make sense to anyone?

Yeap, I was thinking about this too. It should be done. Maybe we can
tackle both of these this weekend.

--Kito

Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On 22-03-2006 11:03:09 -0600, Kito wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2006, at 5:47 AM, Grobian wrote:
> >What about using ${EPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? ${PREFIX} at least

> Yeap, I was thinking about this too. It should be done. Maybe we can tackle
> both of these this weekend.

You should at least tackle both at once, IMO ;)
I can help with changing ebuilds/eclasses, as I'm currently in a fight
with binutils, gcc and glibc anyway.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:30 AM, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> related to renaming things:
>
> Have there been any more thoughts or even implementations to [1]
> about having a function to query the prefix of a required package ?

Thoughts for sure, no implementation yet though. My fear is this
would bring in many of the problems of interdomain stuff if we did it
'right'. i.e. repo-ids, etc. But perhaps I'm making it more complex
than need be, some extra data stored in the vdb and a simple lookup
tool could 'just work'. I think along with just being able to find
the filesystem location of a package, we might as well go all the way
and basically do an internal pkgconfig clone. This would allow stuff
like:

DEPEND="<my-dependency-2"

econf-or-src_compile() {
.../configure \
--prefix=$(eprefix) \
--with-my-dependency=$(eprefix "<my-dependency-2")

append-flags $(eprefix --cflags "<my-dependency-2")
append-ldflags $(eprifix --libs "<my-dependency-2")
}

Maybe...

> My first goal are not the interdomain-deps, but to have a portage-
> feature to install each non-system-package into a separate subdir
> within
> the same portage-domain.

Some of this would definitely overlap with some of the features Dirk
has asked for, i.e. merging a package to a selfcontained dir for
public distribution, self-contained OS X frameworks, etc.

Its a good idea, IMHO, but will be awhile before I personally will
start hacking on it. Others are welcome to give it a go =)

> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.macosx/809
>
> -- haubi
>
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 12:47 +0100, Grobian wrote:
>> On a related note:
>> What about using ${EPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? ${PREFIX} at least
>> clashes with the toolchain-funcs eclass, and might as well be used by
>> other packages.
>>
>> Does it make sense to anyone?

>>> The only thing that comes to my mind as alternative is "${EDEST}".
>>> Might be slightly more self-explanatory. I don't care much about
>>> which
>>> of the two it will become, as long as the change is done atomic ;)
>>>

>> --
>> Fabian Groffen
>> Gentoo for Mac OS X Project

--Kito

Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: [PREFIX] Renaming of ${DEST} [ In reply to ]
On Mar 22, 2006, at 11:07 AM, Grobian wrote:

> On 22-03-2006 11:03:09 -0600, Kito wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 2006, at 5:47 AM, Grobian wrote:
>>> What about using ${EPREFIX} instead of ${PREFIX}? ${PREFIX} at
>>> least
>
>> Yeap, I was thinking about this too. It should be done. Maybe we
>> can tackle
>> both of these this weekend.
>
> You should at least tackle both at once, IMO ;)

FINE! I'll start checking in the portage changes to svn. That being
said, in case any of you are in the habit of running the svn version,
it'll be broken for a bit.

> I can help with changing ebuilds/eclasses, as I'm currently in a fight
> with binutils, gcc and glibc anyway.

Ok, why don't you keep all your changes local and we'll try to
coordinate a big atomic commit this weekend perhaps?

--Kito