going to be giving it a go on Linux again.

I'm assumming the latest code can be found on the links here:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=Portage-prefix

Has anyone else been trying prefix on Linux recently? For that matter
what is the status of PREFIX on Mac? If someone has some quick
updates, (or can point me to them) that'd be cool.

thanks

matt

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt, good to see you back ;)

On Mar 2, 2006, at 5:49 PM, m h wrote:

> I haven't really been working on PREFIX in the last 2 months. I'm
> going to be giving it a go on Linux again.
>
> I'm assumming the latest code can be found on the links here:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=Portage-prefix

Yes, those links should be current. I'll will be doing an updated
portage tarball sometime this weekend.

> Has anyone else been trying prefix on Linux recently?

Yeah, I started running it on my ppc/linux machine. The strict path
handling from before is now optional, so bootstrapping should be a
lot easier if you want to use the host systems toolchain. Still
haven't committed proper profiles for anything but os x yet
though....SOON! The prefix tree should operate standalone now as
well, so I now recommend setting it as your PORTDIR and not an overlay.

> For that matter
> what is the status of PREFIX on Mac?

I've been a little busy with workwork, so I haven't spent too much
time on it lately, but I did train a new dev who has been helping
out. Mostly been squashing minor bugs and working on tools to aid
development(repoman svn support, exg has started a bootstrap script)
as opposed to adding a ton of additional ebuilds.

--Kito

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On 3/2/06, Kito <kito@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi Matt, good to see you back ;)
>
> On Mar 2, 2006, at 5:49 PM, m h wrote:
>
> > I haven't really been working on PREFIX in the last 2 months. I'm
> > going to be giving it a go on Linux again.
> >
> > I'm assumming the latest code can be found on the links here:
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=Portage-prefix
> >

> Yes, those links should be current. I'll will be doing an updated
> portage tarball sometime this weekend.

Great. Thanks for keeping those updated.

> > Has anyone else been trying prefix on Linux recently?
>
> Yeah, I started running it on my ppc/linux machine. The strict path
> handling from before is now optional, so bootstrapping should be a
> lot easier if you want to use the host systems toolchain. Still
> haven't committed proper profiles for anything but os x yet
> though....SOON! The prefix tree should operate standalone now as
> well, so I now recommend setting it as your PORTDIR and not an overlay.

Awesome! Is there a bootstrap script/instructions lying around somewhere?

> > For that matter
> > what is the status of PREFIX on Mac?
>
> I've been a little busy with workwork, so I haven't spent too much
> time on it lately, but I did train a new dev who has been helping
> out. Mostly been squashing minor bugs and working on tools to aid
> development(repoman svn support, exg has started a bootstrap script)
> as opposed to adding a ton of additional ebuilds.

This is good news. I'm able to dedicate about half my time to getting
this working on Linux for the next month or so, so let me know what I
can do.

thanks

matt

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On Mar 2, 2006, at 7:52 PM, Marcin Gabrowski wrote:

> I tried to eliminate constant value of PREFIX in .pkg on OSX. I
> thing, that good way export this variable is exporting its as
> system env, not in file.
> Default pkg installs Gentoo in /Library/Gentoo, which in not exacly
> what I want.

I don't think you will get very far operating on that pkg as all the
binaries will end up with corrupt install_names. When bootstrapping
from source, you can of course choose an arbitrary prefix. That being
said, there should be a way to take advantage of darwins flexible
dyld and even make the install_names relative to allow for drag-n-
drop installation of binary pkgs to arbitrary locations(think how
many cocoa apps are distributed). Haven't figured out the cleanest
way to do this quite yet, but will most likely involved portage
looping over the files and making sure all install_names are relative
before merging to the livefs.

--Kito

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On Mar 2, 2006, at 6:51 PM, m h wrote:

> Awesome! Is there a bootstrap script/instructions lying around
> somewhere?

exg(the dev working on it) is still finishing it up, he's having ISP
issues currently AFAIK, hopefully he'll be back soon. It will be
checked into the scripts/ directory in the repo as soon as its ready.

> This is good news. I'm able to dedicate about half my time to getting
> this working on Linux for the next month or so, so let me know what I
> can do.

Great! Feel free to tackle any of the todo items on the wiki, port
some ebuilds, help find bugs, or anything else you can think of that
would suit your needs =)

--Kito

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On 02-03-2006 15:49:15 -0800, m h wrote:
> Has anyone else been trying prefix on Linux recently? For that matter
> what is the status of PREFIX on Mac? If someone has some quick
> updates, (or can point me to them) that'd be cool.

No real work on it, but I managed to get my emerge system done, and
committed the packages to the prefix tree. I think I should at some
point also add somewhere my FC4-amd64 profile...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On 3/2/06, Kito <kito@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2006, at 6:51 PM, m h wrote:
> >
> > Awesome! Is there a bootstrap script/instructions lying around
> > somewhere?
>
> exg(the dev working on it) is still finishing it up, he's having ISP
> issues currently AFAIK, hopefully he'll be back soon. It will be
> checked into the scripts/ directory in the repo as soon as its ready.

exg- Can you provide a timeframe for when you will be posting your
script? I'm looking forward to beta testing it for you ;)

matt

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
On 3/3/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 02-03-2006 15:49:15 -0800, m h wrote:
> > Has anyone else been trying prefix on Linux recently? For that matter
> > what is the status of PREFIX on Mac? If someone has some quick
> > updates, (or can point me to them) that'd be cool.
>
> No real work on it, but I managed to get my emerge system done, and
> committed the packages to the prefix tree. I think I should at some
> point also add somewhere my FC4-amd64 profile...

Grobian-

That would be great if you could post your profile. I'd like to make
FC3/4 x86 profile....

matt

Re: Back to trying PREFIX on Linux [ In reply to ]
Hi.

On 2006-03-03, at 01:51, m h wrote:
>> Yeah, I started running it on my ppc/linux machine. The strict path
>> handling from before is now optional, so bootstrapping should be a
>> lot easier if you want to use the host systems toolchain. Still
>> haven't committed proper profiles for anything but os x yet
>> though....SOON! The prefix tree should operate standalone now as
>> well, so I now recommend setting it as your PORTDIR and not an
>> overlay.
>
> Awesome! Is there a bootstrap script/instructions lying around
> somewhere?

I tried to eliminate constant value of PREFIX in .pkg on OSX. I
thing, that good way export this variable is exporting its as system
env, not in file.
Default pkg installs Gentoo in /Library/Gentoo, which in not exacly
what I want.

>>> For that matter
>>> what is the status of PREFIX on Mac?
>>
>> I've been a little busy with workwork, so I haven't spent too much

I've started job in new company, so working slow down.

gaber

--
gg: 2600 [nowy] ripe: mg3051 jid: gaber/gentoo.pl http://gabrowski.pl/