Mailing List Archive

Configure issues continued....
At the risk of participating
in the upstream open source communitee I sent my configure issues to
the autotools people. Below is the response. It looks like I need to
see why "--host" is being set the way it is.

As usual send any tips my way, I'll be delving into the code.

matt

Hi Matt,

* m h wrote on Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:26:02PM CET:
> The idea being you install portage in a "prefixed"
> environment. This environment is sort of a sandboxed filesystem.
> (Fink and openpkg are existing examples of this). Then the user can
> install whatever software portage supports easily into the sandboxed
> environment.

OK. Fine idea.

> I'm running into configure issues that I can't seem to resolve. (I
> wouldn't call myself a C programmer. I'm much more comfy in python.
> But I can get around a linux system). My issue is that when portage
> runs the "./configure" I get errors like the following:

OK. Much more interesting are config.log contents (and much more
detailed, so if you really need to post it all, please pack it).
Some hints:

> checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc

So you used --host or the like, to announce cross-compilation. In that
case a $host_alias-prefixed compiler will be preferred. And is found
here.

> checking for C compiler default output... a.out

(i.e., $host = $build).

> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for suffix of object files...

This is suspicious. config.log should be able to tell more.

> checking for a BSD-compatible install... /data1/portage/jan6/prefix/toolsbox-4-p
> atchespre.20060106/i686-pc-linux-gnu//bin/ginstall -c

This is weird, too. How exactly do you call configure?

> checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no

Very weird.

> checking for ANSI C header files... no

Your compiler does not find its default headers for some reason.

> Disconcerting is the mention that there is no GNU C compiler (which is
> sitting in $PREFIX/bin/gcc) and the "WARNING"s.
> When the same configure command from the command line (using the same
> env variables, since PATH is adjusted for the prefixed environment),
> it works.

So maybe you did not want i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, but plain gcc?
If you have to specify cross-compilation, then set CC=gcc, too.

Hope those tips help a bit.

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: Configure issues continued.... [ In reply to ]
Did you install gcc and binutils into your prefix? I did in the end...
Just a thought. I didn't use the toolbox, only compiled and installed
gcc, binutils, coreutils and portage by hand, the rest is symlinked, of
which much has been overwritten right now by portage compiled stuff.

I ran into an interesting problem myself of the glibc ebuild (yes I
know, it might have been a bridge too far to use that one) which seems
to install a symlink which points to itself somehow. Hence, I can't
link anything (=libperl at the moment), because it dies on not being
able to find the shared libraries that are circular symlinked. Maybe I
should just manually fix it and continue... however, I wanted to just
'fix' the issue and haven't succeeded so far.

Re: Configure issues continued.... [ In reply to ]
On 1/12/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Did you install gcc and binutils into your prefix? I did in the end...
> Just a thought. I didn't use the toolbox, only compiled and installed
> gcc, binutils, coreutils and portage by hand, the rest is symlinked, of
> which much has been overwritten right now by portage compiled stuff.

Yes, I'm using toolsbox, which installs all of these. So again, I'm a
little confused. (Haubi feel free to chime in here ;)). I'm pretty
sure that I'm missing something simple, because this all just worked
with the 2.1 prefix code.....

> I ran into an interesting problem myself of the glibc ebuild (yes I
> know, it might have been a bridge too far to use that one) which seems
> to install a symlink which points to itself somehow. Hence, I can't
> link anything (=libperl at the moment), because it dies on not being
> able to find the shared libraries that are circular symlinked. Maybe I
> should just manually fix it and continue... however, I wanted to just
> 'fix' the issue and haven't succeeded so far.

Hmmm, sounds messy. I would try and manually fix it and move on if I
were you. If I knew how to manually fix my problem, I would.

Re: Configure issues continued.... [ In reply to ]
On 12-01-2006 11:55:20 -0800, m h wrote:
> > I ran into an interesting problem myself of the glibc ebuild (yes I
> > know, it might have been a bridge too far to use that one) which seems
> > to install a symlink which points to itself somehow. Hence, I can't
> > link anything (=libperl at the moment), because it dies on not being
> > able to find the shared libraries that are circular symlinked. Maybe I
> > should just manually fix it and continue... however, I wanted to just
> > 'fix' the issue and haven't succeeded so far.
>
> Hmmm, sounds messy. I would try and manually fix it and move on if I
> were you. If I knew how to manually fix my problem, I would.

Seems I wasn't awake enough. Symlinks were fine, but there's something
weird with it. It dies linking like this:

| undefined reference to `_dl_open@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
| undefined reference to `_dl_close@GLIBC_PRIVATE'

I unmerged glibc and now libperl is nicely spitting out a lot of stuff
on the screen, which I shall consider as 'compiling'.

With regard to your problem, I have straced configure but I don't recall
whether that turned out to be of any use... sorry

(Sorry, stripped out Haubi again, because I don't know whether he likes
to get my spam...)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
Re: Configure issues continued.... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm subscribed to gentoo-osx, appreciating all this 'spam' ;)

Matt, as Ralf said, the interesting part is config.log.
What else could be done is to add 'set -xv' in the 2nd line, or before
the critical part of configure script, and you will get huge debug
output from configure itself to stderr, which may also be very
interesting.

Well, did you run the toolsbox's environment scripts before ?

Or, if you have installed gcc already through portage,
did you run gcc-config, and sourced $prefix/etc/profile ?

-haubi

PS: Will be back to prefix-development soon (hopefully)...