Mailing List Archive

Ruby issue
Some of you might have noticed the Ruby (security) issue. I'd like to
have a quick round on it.

A short situation sketch:
- ruby 1.8.2 compiles with some patches made by usata on Panther
- ruby 1.8.2 collides on Tiger with system installed ruby
- ruby 1.8.2 contains security vulnerability and stuff
- ruby 1.8.3 is safe(r)
- ruby 1.8.3 doesn't compile on Panther due to autoconf 2.59 requirement
- ruby 1.8.3 of course also collides on Tiger
- ruby 1.8.2 is marked ppc-macos stable
- ruby 1.8.3 is marked ~ppc-macos unstable

ruby is for Tiger in p.mask, since the sec. bug I added the mask in the
Panther profile too, however, that's not really a solution, and the sec.
guys want more action from us, basically.

I can think of three 'solutions':
1. drop ppc-macos keyword for all ruby keywords.
This is drastical, but since ruby won't have a nice mariage with OSX
using oldstyle Gentoo/OSX it solves the problem for good.
2. drop ppc-macos keyword in 1.8.2 and replace it with 1.8.3
This is bad because we basically drop the keyword, but it leaves us
with the 'desired' state of having only ~ppc-macos.
3. stable 1.8.3
This feels bad to me, but it's what the sec. guys want to see. It
makes sense for progressive users (although I don't know of any real
ones). We would stable a package without testing that is masked.

So, a quick round of input on any one of the three (or a solution I
haven't thought of) solutions would be nice, in order to 'fix' the ruby
bug instead of letting it slide. It's wrong anyway.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project -- Interim Lead
Re: Ruby issue [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Grobian wrote:

> Some of you might have noticed the Ruby (security) issue. I'd like to have a
> quick round on it.
>
> A short situation sketch:
> - ruby 1.8.2 compiles with some patches made by usata on Panther
> - ruby 1.8.2 collides on Tiger with system installed ruby
> - ruby 1.8.2 contains security vulnerability and stuff
> - ruby 1.8.3 is safe(r)
> - ruby 1.8.3 doesn't compile on Panther due to autoconf 2.59 requirement

Can the appropriate autoconf be added to the base system?

-f

Re: Ruby issue [ In reply to ]
Finn Thain wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Grobian wrote:
>> A short situation sketch:
>> - ruby 1.8.2 compiles with some patches made by usata on Panther
>> - ruby 1.8.2 collides on Tiger with system installed ruby
>> - ruby 1.8.2 contains security vulnerability and stuff
>> - ruby 1.8.3 is safe(r)
>> - ruby 1.8.3 doesn't compile on Panther due to autoconf 2.59 requirement
>
> Can the appropriate autoconf be added to the base system?

No, because it collides with the system installed one. For progressive
people this shouldn't be a problem at all.

Re: Ruby issue [ In reply to ]
I decided to go for option 2, consider it done.