--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
Re: CHOST variable [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 07:10:41PM +0200, Grobian wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It appears that our (ancient) installer installs an /etc/make.conf file
> with CHOST="powerpc-apple-darwin".
>
> This is not optimal for Panther and Tiger systems, and should be
> powerpc-apple-darwin[78] for those systems respectively.
>
> This should be documented somewhere on our Wiki (who can do this?) and
> it should eventually be initially set at the bootstrap during the
> installation.
Any possibility of creating a new installer?
Iirc, there are a couple other things that are screwy with it...
~harring
Re: CHOST variable [ In reply to ]
Brian Harring wrote:
> Any possibility of creating a new installer?
> Iirc, there are a couple other things that are screwy with it...

yeah... like installing a newer version of portage to prevent people
from reporting a bug on portage colliding with itself when upgrading ;)

I thought kito had/has access to the installer sources. How hard is it
to 'patch' the installer? I guess the biggest problem is getting rid of
metadistributions.org where the current installer is hosted...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
Re: CHOST variable [ In reply to ]
Grobian wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It appears that our (ancient) installer installs an /etc/make.conf file
> with CHOST="powerpc-apple-darwin".
>
> This is not optimal for Panther and Tiger systems, and should be
> powerpc-apple-darwin[78] for those systems respectively.
>
> This should be documented somewhere on our Wiki (who can do this?)

I tried to master the wiki myself:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_Gentoo_on_MAC_OSX&diff=40171&oldid=39946

Feel free to change.

--