Mailing List Archive

porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg)
Hello-

I posted in the gentoo-dev mailing list yesterday, but figured I'd post here
since it is somewhat closer related. I'm investigating the differences
between portage and openpkg. For those who don't know about openpkg, openpkg
allows one to install rpms in a sandboxed environment accross multiple unix
platforms (bsd, redhat, debian, gentoo,...). It consists of a way to
bootstrap an environment and a bunch of spec files used to create rpms
specifically tailored for that platform. The idea being you could run the
"same" components across different platforms in your environment.

It seems that Fink and Portage for OSX are providing similar functionality
on top of OSX. My question is what would be involved in generalizing the
Portage OSX port to unix platforms similar to what openpkg is doing. An
example might be that while I need to run Suse at work, I could install
portage into a sandboxed location and enter that environment. This would
allow me to run newer components, better integrated, security patched, etc,
while still having the corporate environment if I needed it.

Ideally the benefits for doing this would be to allow many platforms to take
advantage of portage, use the large ebuild tree (openpkg has ~400
components), as well as use ebuilds that are tested probably a little bit
more than openpkg (I believe the gentoo install base is a least one or two
orders of magnitude larger than openpkg).

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

matt
Re: porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

As far as I know, this path is envisioned but since I needs some large
investments, there is not much to tell about when this is to come. It
is in the line of development, however.

To give you another 302, you might look around in the gentoo-portage
list, because there this idea will be cooked. We OSXers will probably
be the first ones to consume (use) it.

Maybe this helps a bit

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X
Re: porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg) [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply Grobian.

As far as I know, this path is envisioned but since I needs some large
> investments, there is not much to tell about when this is to come. It
> is in the line of development, however.
>
> To give you another 302, you might look around in the gentoo-portage
> list, because there this idea will be cooked. We OSXers will probably
> be the first ones to consume (use) it.

Yes, I have posted there yesterday, got redirected here, browsed around the
archives of osx and found some links back to dev "new glep draft: Portage as
a secondary package manager" (posted in may). This is what I want, and
wasn't sure if osx was pushing for this or the main portage devs were
driving this initiative (if anyone is).

According to you it would be developed in the main line, and osx will use
it, rather than osx developing it and pushing it back? I'm looking to get
some direction in this as I have a week or so to see if I can do anything
viable in that time, but would like some direction (am proficient in bash
and python but I'm not a portage developer just a longtime satisfied gentoo
consumer ;) ).

Maybe this helps a bit

Every little bit helps.

Re: porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg) [ In reply to ]
To re-direct you one more time, maybe have a look over at the
gentoo-portage-dev list. That's where portage development happens. We
just use it. :)

We are in the process of making gentoo's portage work on osx as a
secondary package manager (as you put it earlier). We ideally use / as
the root. Much of what we've push into portage mainline (as bug
reports) has to do with using POSIX versions of tools rather than the
gnu versions. This has to do with portage code as well as ebuilds
themselves. the gentoo/bsd group also does this with their work. Both
of our projects are focused on getting portage running on non-linux
systems. There was talk of gentoo/open solaris as well.

I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for, but I hope you
find it :)

Cheers,
-Nick Dimiduk

Re: porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg) [ In reply to ]
On 9/8/05, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@gentoo.org> wrote:

> To re-direct you one more time, maybe have a look over at the
> gentoo-portage-dev list. That's where portage development happens. We
> just use it. :)

Nick-

Thanks for the redirection. I'll spam them as well.

We are in the process of making gentoo's portage work on osx as a
> secondary package manager (as you put it earlier). We ideally use / as
> the root. Much of what we've push into portage mainline (as bug
> reports) has to do with using POSIX versions of tools rather than the
> gnu versions. This has to do with portage code as well as ebuilds
> themselves. the gentoo/bsd group also does this with their work. Both
> of our projects are focused on getting portage running on non-linux
> systems. There was talk of gentoo/open solaris as well.
>
> I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for, but I hope you
> find it :)

Here's what I want: If you are familiar with openpkg, I want a portage
version of that rather than an rpm version.
If you aren't familiar with that I want a "prefixed" version of portage
(much like how fink is in it's own directory) that will run ontop of other
unices (solaris, osx, linux variants).
Here's the thread that contains a GLEP explaining "portage as a secondary
package manager".
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/27569

Hopefully that makes sense. I hope this doesn't appear to be rude, I just
want to make sure people understand what I'm asking for, so that we are all
on the same page ;)

Cheers,

Re: porting maxos port to posix (ala openpkg) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 06:24:46PM -0400, Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> To re-direct you one more time, maybe have a look over at the
> gentoo-portage-dev list. That's where portage development happens. We
> just use it. :)
>
> We are in the process of making gentoo's portage work on osx as a
> secondary package manager (as you put it earlier). We ideally use / as
> the root. Much of what we've push into portage mainline (as bug
> reports) has to do with using POSIX versions of tools rather than the
> gnu versions. This has to do with portage code as well as ebuilds
> themselves. the gentoo/bsd group also does this with their work. Both
> of our projects are focused on getting portage running on non-linux
> systems. There was talk of gentoo/open solaris as well.
>
> I don't think I fully understand what you're looking for, but I hope you
> find it :)
openpkg is capable of prefix swiveling, what y'all are after- also is
what he's after.
~harring