Mailing List Archive

New installer available
Hi,

A new installer is available at
http://dev.gentoo.org/~pvdabeel/macos/gentoo-macos-20041118.dmg

Installation (for both new and existing users):

1 - run the installer
2 - run 'emerge sync' in the Terminal
3 - run '/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh' in the Terminal

Notes:

Make sure your terminal shell is set to bash. Otherwise, make sure your
PATH includes /usr/lib/portage/bin/

Release highlights:

- collision protection

Gentoo by default installs software to the root directory of your Mac
OS X
installation. This makes linking your own software to packages
installed by
Gentoo really easy. Gentoo merges with your current operating system,
rather
than building a new operating system inside the current operating
system.

Before a package gets 'merged' with your system, it undergoes
'collision' testing.
This optional feature (enabled by default) checks whether the
application to be
merged overwrites or collides with files portage didn't install itself.
If the application
that is to be merged collides with other files provided by an
application
portage didn't install itself, the build process is halted.

Apple provides many open source applications out of the box. When you
emerge
such the Gentoo alternative for such an Apple provided application when
collision
protection is enabled, portage will obviously abort the installation.
You can still
update the Apple provided version yourself if you insist on doing so by
disabling
collision protection.

FEATURES="-collision-protection" emerge myapp

emerges myapp without checking for collision protection. The new
installer
provides a make.conf.example in /etc that explains these features.

We are currently working on a system that allows prefixed installs.
(non-root)
Meanwhile please check our Wiki for alternatives such as chrooted
installations.
[ http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_MacOS ]

- next generation keyword

Gentoo for Mac OS X switched to the next generation keyword, which also
includes
metadata about the userland, kernel and libc. Reasons for making this
switch
are documented in GLEP 22. [
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0022.html ]

- self-aware package manager

All macos specific changes have undergone QA testing and have been
included in the
mainline portage source tree. The package manager can now also update
itself.
Pending feature requests will be implemented in the near future.

- updated cascading profiles

In anticipation of our first opendarwin release, we have updated our
cascading profiles.
The macos now inherit from a more generic darwin profile, also used as
the opendarwin parent profile.

- various ebuild-space updates

On the agenda:

- A bugday has been scheduled for 20041120, participation is encouraged.
- We are working currently working full-time on a pathspec design and
implementation, we should be able to release before the end of Q1 2005.

Best regards,

Pieter Van den Abeele
Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:

> FEATURES="-collision-protection" emerge myapp

Is this a change from the original

FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge myapp

or simply the most common typo made in regard to this feature?

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
>

>> FEATURES="-collision-protection" emerge myapp
>>

> Is this a change from the original
>
> FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge myapp
>
> or simply the most common typo made in regard to this feature?

I'd guess it's a typo, as the latter just worked and the former did not. :-)

So far looking good btw. Am tripping over stuff that had been installed
by a previous abortive gentoo-osx installation, but that just shows the
above feature works. :-) Had to make my /etc/make.profile link by hand,
and without guidance did so to /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos-10.3,
but otherwise completely smooth so far.

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Rachel Greenham wrote:

> So far looking good btw. Am tripping over stuff that had been installed
> by a previous abortive gentoo-osx installation, but that just shows the
> above feature works. :-) Had to make my /etc/make.profile link by hand,
> and without guidance did so to /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos-10.3,
> but otherwise completely smooth so far.

... however, very little seems to be unmasked...

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
It was a typo.

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Rachel Greenham wrote:
> Rachel Greenham wrote:
>
>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos-10.3, but otherwise completely

if you're using >=portage-2.0.51, make.profile should point to a
cascading profile.

> ... however, very little seems to be unmasked...

make sure you're using ppc-macos as your keyword; macos has gone the way
of the dodo.

-Nick

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Rachel Greenham wrote:
>
>> Rachel Greenham wrote:
>>
>>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos-10.3, but otherwise completely
>

> if you're using >=portage-2.0.51, make.profile should point to a
> cascading profile.

Meaning...? just /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos ?

Because that doesn't seem to help. :-)

NB: emerge --version reports

Portage 2.0.51-r3 etc., as installed by the installer.

>> ... however, very little seems to be unmasked...
>>

> make sure you're using ppc-macos as your keyword; macos has gone the way
> of the dodo.

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc-macos" in /etc/make.conf (as default).

Most things are masked due to "missing keyword". eg:

pooka:~ rachel$ emerge -p mirrorselect

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "mirrorselect" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- app-portage/mirrorselect-0.86 (masked by: missing keyword)
- app-portage/mirrorselect-0.87 (masked by: ~ppc keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
section 2.2 "Software Availability" in the Gentoo Handbook.

Oh, by the way:

pooka:/etc rachel$ emerge -p portage

Calculating dependencies \
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "sys-libs/zlib" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- sys-libs/zlib-1.2.1-r3 (masked by: missing keyword)
- sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2 (masked by: ~ppc keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
section 2.2 "Software Availability" in the Gentoo Handbook.
!!! (dependency required by "dev-python/python-fchksum-1.7.1" [ebuild])

:-}

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Rachel Greenham wrote:
> Nick Dimiduk wrote:

>> if you're using >=portage-2.0.51, make.profile should point to a
>> cascading profile.
>

> Meaning...? just /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos ?
>
> Because that doesn't seem to help. :-)

Sorry for not being clear. Just sync and run
/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh This will fix your profile to
use the cascading set, which, I believe, in your case will be
/usr/portage/profiles/default-macos/ppc/10.3

That should help.

-Nick

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Nick Dimiduk wrote:

> Sorry for not being clear. Just sync and run
> /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh This will fix your profile to
> use the cascading set, which, I believe, in your case will be
> /usr/portage/profiles/default-macos/ppc/10.3

There is no bootstrap-macos.sh there.

Oh yes there is, but it's set non-executable by default.

It has not resolved matters. :-( Everything still masked. Not really
surprising.

pooka:/usr/portage rachel$ grep ACCEPT_KEYWORDS /etc/make.conf ; grep
KEYWORD app-portage/mirrorselect/*.ebuild ; emerge -p mirrorselect
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc-macos"
app-portage/mirrorselect/mirrorselect-0.86.ebuild:KEYWORDS="x86 ppc
sparc mips alpha arm hppa amd64 ppc64 s390"
app-portage/mirrorselect/mirrorselect-0.87.ebuild:KEYWORDS="~x86 ~ppc
~sparc ~mips ~alpha ~arm ~hppa ~amd64 ~ppc64 ~s390"

Calculating dependencies
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "mirrorselect" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your
request:
- app-portage/mirrorselect-0.86 (masked by: missing keyword)
- app-portage/mirrorselect-0.87 (masked by: ~ppc keyword)

ie: shouldn't the ebuilds have "ppc-macos" amongst their keywords if
they're to have any hope of working?

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Yes, it's just looking like there are very few packages that have the
ppc-macos keyword set in their ebuilds, and many of those that don't are
kind of fundamental (and I know they build in isolation from original
GNU sources because I've done so in the past). I guess this is why you
wanted the installer out. So if I just start building and using stuff by
force, and report on whether it works, is that useful?

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:13:25 +0000, Rachel Greenham
<rachel@linuxgrrls.org> wrote:

> ie: shouldn't the ebuilds have "ppc-macos" amongst their keywords if
> they're to have any hope of working?

The problem is just that there's very few working packages right now.
A lot of stuff is
being held up pending various critical bugs on key packages (such as
perl, gtk, etc.)
without which, very little else can build. I think a lot of the
blockers are waiting on
some policy decisions as well.

I'm sure it will all get sorted out okay, but will take some time.

Chris

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Kito wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Rachel Greenham wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's just looking like there are very few packages that have the
>> ppc-macos keyword set in their ebuilds, and many of those that don't
>> are kind of fundamental (and I know they build in isolation from
>> original GNU sources because I've done so in the past).
>> I guess this is why you wanted the installer out. So if I just start
>> building and using stuff by force, and report on whether it works, is
>> that useful?
>

> Definitely useful. Please report working packages at
> http://bugs.gentoo.org .

In what manner? :-}

> You may also change your keyword to ~ppc-macos
> to emerge 'unstable' packages.

I thought in the first instance I'd just see where I go with
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc"

This is admittedly going to be a bit of a side-activity while my main
concentration is elsewhere, so I'm mainly just going to see if each
package I'm interested in builds and has basic functionality - at least
enough to get ~ppc-macos status anyway.

--
Rachel

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:36:03 -0700, stuporglue <stuporglue@gmail.com> wrote:

> How is this working? I use the same source on an x86, ppc, and OSX
> computer. Are patches being sent upstream to the individual projects
> to make the source work on more platforms, or are the config files
> being rewritten for OSX, so the compiler knows how to make the generic
> source work?

I'm just a user, not a developer. But, my understanding is that
a lot of the stuff will *compile* okay, but cannot be installed because the
files conflict with existing macosx files. So, they have to figure out how
to install this seperately or how to integrate it. This is the case with perl
for example, which tons of stuff depends on (including gtk, indirectly.)

A lot of bugs are open for macos in bugs.gentoo.org that are dependant
on this, so my understanding is that until this is resolved, most larger
applications that have significant dependencies won't be workable.

Any developers have an update on this situation?

Chris

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
On Nov 18, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Chris L. Mason wrote:

> I'm just a user, not a developer. But, my understanding is that
> a lot of the stuff will *compile* okay, but cannot be installed
> because the
> files conflict with existing macosx files. So, they have to figure
> out how
> to install this seperately or how to integrate it. This is the case
> with perl
> for example, which tons of stuff depends on (including gtk,
> indirectly.)

*cough*chroot'd install*cough*

Cap'n Hector

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
On Nov 18, 2004, at 10:51 pm, Rachel Greenham wrote:
> Kito wrote:
>> On Nov 18, 2004, at 4:27 PM, Rachel Greenham wrote:
>>>
>>> ... So if I just start building and using stuff by force, and report
>>> on whether it works, is that useful?
>> Definitely useful. Please report working packages at
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org .
>
> In what manner? :-}

Search http://bugs.gentoo.org for the package you have successfully
installed & see if there any bugs open corresponding to it working
under MacOS.

If there are, then add to the currently open bug saying "it works for
me, too, please unmask".
If not then open a new bug with the title "Package foo works under
MacOS".

Stroller.

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:20:23 -0800, Cap'n Hector <me@caphector.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Chris L. Mason wrote:
>
> > I'm just a user, not a developer. But, my understanding is that
> > a lot of the stuff will *compile* okay, but cannot be installed
> > because the
> > files conflict with existing macosx files. So, they have to figure
> > out how
> > to install this seperately or how to integrate it. This is the case
> > with perl
> > for example, which tons of stuff depends on (including gtk,
> > indirectly.)
>
> *cough*chroot'd install*cough*
>
> Cap'n Hector

Or even better, real PATHSPEC (alternate root). pvdabeel's original
email said their aiming for pathspec in end Q1 2005.

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I have some problems with the new Gentoo For OS X. Is there somebody
that could provide me a little help?

The "bootstrap"-proces (/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh) give
me a "permission denied"...
Has this something to do with the fact I'm not a SU? (and how can i
make myself SU? typing "SU" en my pasword in Terminal doesn't work).

A second question: by the previous installation of Gentoo, I had 4 nice
little windows in my Apple-menu-bar (above the screen)... Since I have
bought a Powerbook, but after installation of Gentoo for OS X, I don't
see these windows anymore.... Also: there are no Gentoo-folders anymore
in my "Macintosh HD:: "...

Some strange things appened and i hope somebody could help me

thx

Johan

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
Hi,

you must use follow command:

sudo chmod +x /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh
sudo /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap-macos.sh

Jens

Re: New installer available [ In reply to ]
I emerged gentoolkit-0.2.0_pre10-r1, but etcat (included in gentoolkit)
doesn`t work.

$head -n1 /usr/bin/etcat
#!/usr/bin/env python2

$/usr/bin/etcat
env: python2: No such file or directory

I supose installer should make /usr/bin/python2 symbolic link.

kinoko