Mailing List Archive

Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it?
Hi guys,
I'm about to spend my hard earned bucks in a new laptop.
Before spending the money, though, I have to decide whether I buy a SONY
Vaio like this one
http://www.rm.com/Primary/Products/Product.asp?cref=PD298047
A comparable IBM T2 or I better go the Mac route.

I've used Macs in the pre OS X time (performas and such machines with
680x0 cpus), although I never owned one, I used emulation on my Amiga
computers.

Now as a long time Linux and for over two years Gentoo user, and since
whatever laptop I get I'll definitely install Gentoo on it, I thought
this might be the perfect place to ask for advice.

From the Mac side I'd probably use some video editing and DTP apps,
while on Linux I'll keep hacking the kernel and coding.

I see it as so a big dilemma that I need some outside opinion, or user
experiences.
I don't know if I'll be able to use all the hardware on the PB (mostly
the AirPort card (can it be replaced?), or if I'll later be having to
choose all the time whether using OS X or Linux...

BTW, this will be my first personal (mine and for my exclusive use)
laptop.

Thanks for anything you might tell me to help ease the decision.

--
BOFH Excuse #69:

knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked

Javier Marcet <javier@marcet.info>

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
Hi Javier,

I just went from an older IBM Thinkpad 240 running gentoo,
to a new G4 Powerbook running OS X 10.3.5. I'll share my
experiences so far.

I haven't tried to install Linux on this machine. I bought
it with the idea that I could use the underlying Darwin
core with X11 and all my favourite Linux apps. I haven't
been brave enough to run gentoo-osx on this machine, but I
am using fink. I feel more comfortable with fink not
playing with my Mac OS since it installs in /sw/ and not in
the base file system.

After about 3 months with the system, I think if I were to
do it all over again, I would buy an intel/AMD based system
and run pure Linux on it. Right now using a mix of Aqua
and X11 apps is a pain. Copying from one clip board to
another seems flakey with the XtoX program. The mouse
acceleration seems to be all over the place in X11.
Sometimes my scroll wheel works, some times it doesn't.
My system is a 1.5 GHz with 1 gig of ram. The interface
feels more sluggish with Aqua and X11 running than my old
Thinkpad 240 with its celeron 300. I don't know if that is
just in my head or it really is more sluggish? I know this
system is faster, it files through compiling code for fink
way faster than my Thinkpad ever did with gentoo. The CPU
just always seems to be under load on this system trying to
run the interface in a way that my old system never seemed
to be.

The plus side is definately the hardware. After 3 months
I've had a couple looks around, and still can't find
hardware I would rather have. The slot loading DVD-r is
awesome. I have gigabit ethernet, firewire800, 128meg
radeon graphics with dual head, the pccard slot, and a
really nice montior. Combined with the size, I couldn't
find another system that had this mix. For me, this is the
best hardware combo I could find. The only think I don't
like is that there is no dock connector, or dock for the
Powerbooks.

I would like to try Linux on this system, but then it seems
I would lose power management, the wierd usb softmodem, and
my airport. I would like to get away from Aqua, it just
doesn't feel very slick when I'm running my X11 apps with
Aqua apps. I would like to go all X11, with full hardware
support. Right now I'm trying to figure out if just the
Darwin core will let me do that.

Anyways, those are most of my thoughts on the subject. If
you have any other questions I'll try to answer them.

Adam.

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 05:33:27PM +0200, Javier Marcet wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I'm about to spend my hard earned bucks in a new laptop.
> Before spending the money, though, I have to decide whether I buy a SONY
> Vaio like this one
> http://www.rm.com/Primary/Products/Product.asp?cref=PD298047
> A comparable IBM T2 or I better go the Mac route.
>
> I've used Macs in the pre OS X time (performas and such machines with
> 680x0 cpus), although I never owned one, I used emulation on my Amiga
> computers.
>
> Now as a long time Linux and for over two years Gentoo user, and since
> whatever laptop I get I'll definitely install Gentoo on it, I thought
> this might be the perfect place to ask for advice.

Hi,

First, the Gentoo ppc mailing list would have probably be more
appropriate for these type of questions.

> From the Mac side I'd probably use some video editing and DTP apps,
> while on Linux I'll keep hacking the kernel and coding.

From a user perspective, it does not matter much whether you have an
x86-based laptop or a Mac laptop. You will get all the same open source
apps unless it is CPU-specific (VMWare, Mac-on-Linux, Wine, ...). For
commercial apps, very few compile for Linux/ppc. In particular, no Sun
JDK. An IBM JDK is available. You say hacking the kernel. If you want
to hack x86-specific portion, then don't buy a PowerPC :) But most
kernel is CPU-independent and PowerPC is much fun to play with for
low-level stuff.

There is not much difference at the hardware level between Mac hardware
or PC hardware other than the CPU family (PowerPC vs x86) and the
firmware (OpenFirmware vs BIOS) but this last one does not really
matter.

For hardware support, its the same thing. You need to check each
components if yes or no. Airport Extreme seems to be currently the
major issue. Other issues are video mirroring and modem (for modem,
binary drivers available, at least for some of them).

> I see it as so a big dilemma that I need some outside opinion, or user
> experiences.

Do you want to use Windows? Do you need some x86-specific application
by its nature or some commercial apps compiled only for x86? (Note: If
you don't mind using OS X most commercial Linux/x86 apps are available
for Mac OS X anyway).

If you answered no then you don't have more risk with a Mac laptop than
any x86 one. In both case, some hardware components might not be
supported or well supported.

> I don't know if I'll be able to use all the hardware on the PB (mostly
> the AirPort card (can it be replaced?), or if I'll later be having to
> choose all the time whether using OS X or Linux...

You can run OS X inside Linux (in user mode) by using Mac-on-Linux and
soon you will be able to run Linux in OS X.

> BTW, this will be my first personal (mine and for my exclusive use)
> laptop.

I am currently using a iBook G3 700MHz laptop running Gentoo Linux.
This is my first laptop and non-x86 hardware and I was very happy with
it.

David

---

David Bélanger
Web page: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/
Public key: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/public_key.txt

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
greetings,

i decided to go with a 12" powerbook after years of avoiding laptops
altogether (after all, as a programmer, when am i ever more than 10
paces from a PC?). i tried debian, gentoo and yellow dog. i eventually
went to dual booting os x and debian. a bit later, i noticed that i had
31 days uptime on os x. in other words, i hadn't used my linux setup at
all.

why? simple. no sleep. no airport. if i have to power it off when i
put it away and i need a cable or some usb wireless nic to make it work,
it's not very portable. in short, i stuck with os x because it works
best with the hardware that i got.

i still run a mix of debian and gentoo on all of my workstations and
servers, but with the powerbook it just doesn't fly. i have gentoo for
os x set up on my powerbook in the hopes that it will solve my perceived
shortcomings of fink and darwinports, but i don't see myself ever
turning it over to linux again.

with that in mind, i can't say that i am displeased. the powerbook does
everything i could have hoped it would in a 12" footprint with the most
amazing hardware i've ever had the pleasure of running (in a laptop).
os x isn't bad and most things work without any showstoppers. i will
say that the switch of cultures from Free software to $25 for every tiny
app and no source was a bit of a shock, but it hasn't been all that bad.

just my $0.02. hope that helps.

j.c.w.
http://othertime.com

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]

On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:51 AM, Mcleod A wrote:

> Hi Javier,
>
> I just went from an older IBM Thinkpad 240 running gentoo,
> to a new G4 Powerbook running OS X 10.3.5. I'll share my
> experiences so far.
>
> I haven't tried to install Linux on this machine. I bought
> it with the idea that I could use the underlying Darwin
> core with X11 and all my favourite Linux apps. I haven't
> been brave enough to run gentoo-osx on this machine, but I
> am using fink. I feel more comfortable with fink not
> playing with my Mac OS since it installs in /sw/ and not in
> the base file system.
>
> After about 3 months with the system, I think if I were to
> do it all over again, I would buy an intel/AMD based system
> and run pure Linux on it. Right now using a mix of Aqua
> and X11 apps is a pain. Copying from one clip board to
> another seems flakey with the XtoX program. The mouse
> acceleration seems to be all over the place in X11.
> Sometimes my scroll wheel works, some times it doesn't.
> My system is a 1.5 GHz with 1 gig of ram. The interface
> feels more sluggish with Aqua and X11 running than my old
> Thinkpad 240 with its celeron 300. I don't know if that is
> just in my head or it really is more sluggish? I know this
> system is faster, it files through compiling code for fink
> way faster than my Thinkpad ever did with gentoo. The CPU
> just always seems to be under load on this system trying to
> run the interface in a way that my old system never seemed
> to be.

If your needs are met by linux, I wouldn't recommend a powerbook, not a
new one anyway. The only reason I went with an apple laptop is I'm
bound to some proprietary apps for work (Logic, Final Cut Pro, etc.) ,
and the display is far superior to the other laptops I've looked at.

> The plus side is definately the hardware. After 3 months
> I've had a couple looks around, and still can't find
> hardware I would rather have. The slot loading DVD-r is
> awesome. I have gigabit ethernet, firewire800, 128meg
> radeon graphics with dual head, the pccard slot, and a
> really nice montior. Combined with the size, I couldn't
> find another system that had this mix. For me, this is the
> best hardware combo I could find. The only think I don't
> like is that there is no dock connector, or dock for the
> Powerbooks.
>
> I would like to try Linux on this system, but then it seems
> I would lose power management, the wierd usb softmodem, and
> my airport. I would like to get away from Aqua, it just
> doesn't feel very slick when I'm running my X11 apps with
> Aqua apps. I would like to go all X11, with full hardware
> support. Right now I'm trying to figure out if just the
> Darwin core will let me do that.

You won't get full hardware acceleration, But you can install the
latest xorg version and run it from the console.

> Anyways, those are most of my thoughts on the subject. If
> you have any other questions I'll try to answer them.
>
> Adam.
>
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:33:27 +0200
> Javier Marcet <lists-gentoo@marcet.info> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>> I'm about to spend my hard earned bucks in a new laptop.
>> Before spending the money, though, I have to decide
>> whether I buy a SONY
>> Vaio like this one
>>
> http://www.rm.com/Primary/Products/Product.asp?cref=PD298047
>> A comparable IBM T2 or I better go the Mac route.
>>
>> I've used Macs in the pre OS X time (performas and such
>> machines with
>> 680x0 cpus), although I never owned one, I used emulation
>> on my Amiga
>> computers.
>>
>> Now as a long time Linux and for over two years Gentoo
>> user, and since
>> whatever laptop I get I'll definitely install Gentoo on
>> it, I thought
>> this might be the perfect place to ask for advice.

Again, I say if linux is your OS of choice and you don't need any of
the Apple apps, I would go PC.

>> From the Mac side I'd probably use some video editing
>> and DTP apps,
>> while on Linux I'll keep hacking the kernel and coding
>>
>> I see it as so a big dilemma that I need some outside
>> opinion, or user
>> experiences.
>> I don't know if I'll be able to use all the hardware on
>> the PB (mostly
>> the AirPort card (can it be replaced?), or if I'll later
>> be having to
>> choose all the time whether using OS X or Linux...

Don't forget about MOL and qemu =)

>> BTW, this will be my first personal (mine and for my
>> exclusive use)
>> laptop.
>>
>> Thanks for anything you might tell me to help ease the
>> decision.

All that being said, I would never own another brand laptop. Since
getting my PB, my desktops collect dust. I don't need x11, I'm very
happy just running os x, and using gentoo portage for all my console
apps.

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
First, so you can see where my perspective comes from, a little bit
about my x86 vs. ppc experience: I am a Gentoo/macos developer. The
first computer in my home was the MacSE my dad purchased for
compatibility with his work machines (I think I was about 7 years old at
the time). In Jr. High, I started hanging out with "computer nerds" who
were amazed that I had 1) never touched a PC and 2) knew as much about
Macs as they knew about "wintel" boxes. This led into a growing desire
to investigate "the other side". With the help of my friends, I built
the first x86 PC to enter my home (AMD K62/350) and started my
education. I used x86 hardware exclusively through HS and started using
linux once I moved into the college dorms (and finally had high-speed
internet access). I purchased the 12" powerbook I'm using right now in
June. I still have my x86 desktop.

Javier Marcet wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I'm about to spend my hard earned bucks in a new laptop.
> Before spending the money, though, I have to decide whether I buy a SONY
> Vaio like this one
> http://www.rm.com/Primary/Products/Product.asp?cref=PD298047
> A comparable IBM T2 or I better go the Mac route.

I've had bad first-hand experience with laptops in general. The Dell I
bought used was a POS (Latitude cpx, iirc). A co-worker purchased an
IBM thinkpad and had it serviced 4 times in 6 months. A friend
purchased a iBook about 3 months before I bought my powerbook and has
had that machine back to Apple for repairs/screw-ups 3 times. The Sony
Vaio my employer owns has worked well, though once it did break, Sony's
proprietary hardware is expensive to service/fix/replace. Laptops are
problematic and a bad computing investment in my experience.

I wanted another laptop because I wanted mobility in my schedule. I
bought the powerbook because of the exceptional hardware for the money.
I find the system as a whole (RAM, cpu cache, hdd throughput, etc.)
has far more effect on the computing experience than the cpu itself (see
"MHz Myth" [1]). I promptly purchased an additional 512MB of ram from
crucial [2] after buying the machine. My original intent was to run
linux exclusively on this machine. More on that later.

> I've used Macs in the pre OS X time (performas and such machines with
> 680x0 cpus), although I never owned one, I used emulation on my Amiga
> computers.

I was never a fan of the original MacOS. I started using it with 6.x
(on the SE) and saw it through up to OS9. I don't use Classic in OS X
and have no need (or desire) to use OS9 applications. My personal
preference.

> Now as a long time Linux and for over two years Gentoo user, and since
> whatever laptop I get I'll definitely install Gentoo on it, I thought
> this might be the perfect place to ask for advice.

I had no trouble installing Gentoo on this machine. There's not much in
the way of modern docs on the process, esp. if you plan on setting up
a dual-boot system, though I can send you some information if you'd like.

> From the Mac side I'd probably use some video editing and DTP apps,
> while on Linux I'll keep hacking the kernel and coding.

Sorry, I'm not a video guy. Don't know what's available in linux, if it
exists for linux/PPC, or how it compared to Windows apps.

> I see it as so a big dilemma that I need some outside opinion, or user
> experiences.

The internet is certainly a good source of opinions. Good luck
filtering the substance from the soil. :)

> I don't know if I'll be able to use all the hardware on the PB (mostly
> the AirPort card (can it be replaced?), or if I'll later be having to
> choose all the time whether using OS X or Linux...

No airport card support in linux yet. Broadcom won't release anything
substantial about the product. I do know that you can get a USB
wireless adapter which does have linux support for ~40USD.

Also of note (esp. if you're interested in video) is that lack of NVidia
linux/ppc drivers. The linux/x86 drivers are binary releases and won't
work on ppc. Some powerbook models have NVidia cards, other have ATI
cards; just be aware of what you're purchasing. As a side note, you'll
also notice that there is no linux/ppc Macromedia flash player. I
haven't tried the modem in linux as I never had a reason. No problems
with USB, firewire, ethernet, or disk drive. Also haven't tried the
second video out in linux (though I do love plugging my 12" powerbook
into the 18" LCD).

> BTW, this will be my first personal (mine and for my exclusive use)
> laptop.

Good luck making your decision.

> Thanks for anything you might tell me to help ease the decision.

MacOS X vs. Linux
- I get better battery life running linux than osx. If I'm being
conservative, I can get about ~5 hours from linux as opposed to ~4 hours
in osx. Granted, I run a pretty lean linux rig and most likely have
far fewer processes running.

- In osx, I can close the lid of this machine and walk away. I didn't
investigate the matter very far in with linux (the lack of a wifi card
made travel less appealing in linux) though my iBook-toting friend did
and (I think) met with some success. I understand there to be a couple
(at least 2) patches to the 2.6 kernel which implement this kind of
feature. Again, I'm not an expert in the matter as I didn't investigate
the subject fully.

- You know what to expect out of gnu/linux applications on gnu/linux.
The Darwin basis of osx is not the same as linux/ppc. Look at all the
bugs going through bugs.gentoo.org assigned to osx@g.o and see for
yourself. For the most part, it's not too bad, but there are some
sticky points (like Libc vs. glibc).

- "Mac OS X is impossible to use." A claim made by my iBook-owning
friend. He finds he has zero productivity and can't get anything done
in osx so runs debian on it full time. I find it to be quite a pleasant
computing experience, once you turn off all of the "idiot-proofing". In
comparison, my opinion of Windows is that once you turn off all of the
"idiot-proofing" you can get access to, you have nothing more than a
spam-relay waiting to happen.

- Mac OS X is not "free software" (as in freedom). I don't know if
you have any personal ideals in regard to Free Software [3], but it is
something to consider. What you get from osx is a system of proprietary
software built on top of the Darwin base. For a closer look at the
matter, see what the Free Software Foundation has to say [4]. Oh, and
so far it's been a pain in the ass to build a darwin system from Apple's
source. If anyone has any suggestions/experience with this, please let
me know off-list.

At the cost of brevity, I hope I've answered some of your questions (and
maybe raised a few more). Why did I buy a powerbook and why am I
running osx right now? Why am I involved in porting gnu software to a
non-gnu platform? More than I believe in free software, I believe in
choice. If someone wants to be sucked into a proprietary software
experience, let them. It is not my place to tell people how to use
their machines (or what to do in general). I find osx to be quite
innovative in comparison to the Windows competition and I also want to
support a company which is moving toward open development practices. I
also found the hardware packaged in this little gem to be superior to
what competitors offered for an even larger price. Finally, I am a
student of computer science, specifically Operating Systems and Software
Systems (currently). The challenge of moving an infrastructure
(software system) from one architecture to another is fascinating to me.
Besides, how else will I be able to run clisp on the osx platform and
learn a bit about the new operating system environment at the same time? ;)

Finally, if you decide to not go down the PPC route, I'd suggest
checking out Los Alamos Computers [5]. I have not had any personal
experience with them, but if I were buying a new x86 today, I would buy
a box from them (as opposed to building it from oem components as I've
done in the past). Just a suggestion.

Good luck,
-Nick Dimiduk

[1] http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/editorials/article/1465.1/
[2] http://www.crucial.com/
[3] http://www.fsf.org
[4] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html
[5] http://www.laclinux.com/

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:01 AM, David Bélanger wrote:

> soon you will be able to run Linux in OS X

Can you tell more about this? User-mode-linux on OS X?

~ boyd

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]

I've been a hardcore gentoo user for a while. I decided to go with the
powerbook because of all the good things i've heard about it. I am very
very very satisfied with the powerbook and OS X; especially the
graphics of OS X. The machine is designed very well and its better for
a lot of things that a mobile computer needs to be good with (automatic
configuration of printers, devices, etc; I don' t want to spend time
trying to configure a printer when I'm printing an assignment before
class). I don't know if I'd go with a mac for a desktop, but I really
recommend the mac for mobile oriented usage.

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
Hello Alexander,

I've been a Linux apostle for the past 3 or 4 years, starting with
RedHat 5.0 and Mandrake 6.0. Before that I was a OS2 nut (try
installing Warp on a 486 via 24 x 1.2 MB 5.25" inch floppies...) Then
I finally decided to install Linux on my ThinkPad 380D, I remember well
the coincidence that on the same day that I did the install, the very
first XFree86 drivers for the NeoMagic chipset in the 380D became
available....

Since then I've installed many more versions of Linux on many more
machines than I wish to count, and I've enjoyed most of them.

Then, in may 2004, I bought a 15" PowerBook G4..... and ..... well let
me put it this way, if God were to design the PERFECT LAPTOP with the
perfect OS it would be indistinguishable from the 15" PowerBook G4.

Here is what you get

- GREAT apps (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand etc)
- Fantastic FREE IDE (XCode and Interface Builder) ... like Microsoft
giving VisualBasic FREE with XP
- AWSOME GRAPHICS AND VIDEO
- Great sound support
- Effortless wireless
- Actual EASY working Bluetooth
- Good battery life

If you want "Linux-like" get Fink, if you REALLY want Linux get a
second junk PC and connect via the Xserver or better yet get QEMU and
really run i386 Linux on it.

I highly recommend you get the Powerbook. You won't regret it.

Michael Longval
mlongval@videotron.ca

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
Boyd Waters wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:01 AM, David Bélanger wrote:
>
>> soon you will be able to run Linux in OS X
>

> Can you tell more about this? User-mode-linux on OS X?

I believe David is referring to the mol port to OSX. With the last
release of mol, the readme mentioned initial architecture separation,
meaning they were laying the groundwork to make mol portable between PPC
operating systems.

As for User-Mode Linux running on osx, I suppose it'd be possible with
some hacking. It's something I'd work on if there were more hours in
the day, more days in the week, or if someone wanted to fun my education...

-nd

Re: Powerbook G4 for a non Mac user, is worth it? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Nick Dimiduk wrote:

> Boyd Waters wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 20, 2004, at 10:01 AM, David Bélanger wrote:
> >
> >> soon you will be able to run Linux in OS X
> >

> > Can you tell more about this? User-mode-linux on OS X?
> >

> I believe David is referring to the mol port to OSX. With the last
> release of mol, the readme mentioned initial architecture separation,
> meaning they were laying the groundwork to make mol portable between PPC
> operating systems.
>
> As for User-Mode Linux running on osx, I suppose it'd be possible with
> some hacking. It's something I'd work on if there were more hours in
> the day, more days in the week, or if someone wanted to fun my education...

Rather than UML, I think coLinux would probably be a better fit.

Unfortunately, I don't see OS X support on their roadmap.

-F