Mailing List Archive

just hello and some questions
hi,

I'm just subscribed to this list, coz .. *guess* ..
yeah, coz I'm planning to use gentoo on osX.
I found that project just by stumbling over a "macos" USEflag in ufed.
so how old is this part of gentoo?

as I was so happy to get gentoo on my ibook, osX 10.3.5, I kicked fink
and the whole folder in a second and installed the osX gentoo portion
afterwards.
sadly there seem most packages masked or even not touched by the
keyword.
as I have run gentoo on ppc on that box before and on some x86 servers
and clients I'm not new to the whole thing, but where is the big[!]
difference between ppc, ppc-macos and the macos keywords?

and, while trying to get my favorite mua sylpheed-claws to run on my
macosx, I just fall into the first packages which won't compile. So, is
it recommended to report compiling and not compiling ebuilds better
here or in bugzilla?

as I have done an emerge sumthin, there was a portage update uncluded.
but in the readme in the osX pkg was written that on osXgentoo we are
using a cvs snapshot for portage which has a new structure, do I have
now an older, [for osX] depreceated version of portage?
I'm asking because not even gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev won't
install. after checking md5 sum emerge just stops and says nothing. hm.

so thats just my 5 cents, planning to annoy many people with
non-working ebuilds ; )

regards,
alex

Re: just hello and some questions [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

At Mon, 27 Sep 2004 04:57:37 +0200,
phaidros@subsignal.org wrote:

> I'm just subscribed to this list, coz .. *guess* ..

Welcome! ;)

> sadly there seem most packages masked or even not touched by the
> keyword.
> as I have run gentoo on ppc on that box before and on some x86 servers
> and clients I'm not new to the whole thing, but where is the big[!]
> difference between ppc, ppc-macos and the macos keywords?

We are switching to ppc-macos keyword and macos keyword is deprecated.
Please set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc-macos" (or ~ppc-macos, if you don't
mind to use unstable packages on Mac OS X). I saw someone set
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="macos ppc-macos" in his profile but this may or may
not work. (It depends on how ebuild is written, and I strongly
recommend you not to set both keywords.)

> while trying to get my favorite mua sylpheed-claws to run on my
> macosx, I just fall into the first packages which won't compile. So, is
> it recommended to report compiling and not compiling ebuilds better
> here or in bugzilla?

Please report it to bugzilla with `emerge info` and the error log you
have. If you plan to report "XXX emerges and needs ppc-macos keyword"
please try to test as much USE flags as possible (and state that the
combinations of USE flags you actually tested). Compiling and testing
a package with one combination of USE flags is not enough for
keywording the package if it has several USE flags. To see USE flags
supported by a package, run `emerge -pv foobar`. Remember that USE flag
settings may change dependency list and if the list contains packages
without ppc-macos keyword it should be noted in bugzilla.

> as I have done an emerge sumthin, there was a portage update uncluded.
> but in the readme in the osX pkg was written that on osXgentoo we are
> using a cvs snapshot for portage which has a new structure, do I have
> now an older, [for osX] depreceated version of portage?

Yes, Gentoo for Mac OS X installer is now two months old and nearly
outdated. Please emerge the latest portage (2.0.51_rc4 at the moment)
with FEATURES="-collision-protect". You need to turn off
collision-protect temporally because portage from the installer
doesn't know it is installed.

--
Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@gentoo.org>