under linux anyway. (Actually, there's a few patches floating now that
get basic console support on extreeme.)

I will try LiveCD RC6 on the serial console and let you know that it comes
up. Although I've had debian on it for over a year, and plan to keep that
on there for other purposes, I would be happy to test boot anything you
need.

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> I have an I2 IP22 with 256MB RAM, and R4400 that is alive and well. I
> pulled the extreem board set to keep it cooler since I couldn't use that
> under linux anyway. (Actually, there's a few patches floating now that
> get basic console support on extreeme.)
>
> I will try LiveCD RC6 on the serial console and let you know that it
> comes up. Although I've had debian on it for over a year, and plan to
> keep that on there for other purposes, I would be happy to test boot
> anything you need.

You know of patches? The only guy we know of whose remotely written any Extreme
(XZ) patches is one 'onion' over in the linux-mips IRC channel. Of course, I
don't believe he's ever released screen shots or source code, thus we've always
regarded his claims as vapourware. Did someone else create patches, or did he
finally put them out and not tell anyone?

If you have a location of the patches, I'd be interested in knowing where
they're at so I can see if they'll fit into mips-sources when I get around to
putting out 2.6.19 (yeah, It's wayyyyy behind). 2.6.20 still has problems on
Octane last I checked (-rc6), so I dunno when that'll be out.

But yeah, I've got an Extreme board set in an IP26 (R8000, w00t!) that I can
yank out and stuff in my IP28 to see if it boots the kernel and prints messages
(IP28's userland is all whacked up, so I doubt it'll ever boot again).

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Well, it may not be vaporware.

http://www.tal.org/~milang/o2/

Got to this site. It's mostly O2 stuff, but if you look carefully in his
screen shots, there are two that are supposedly of this FB console for
extreme. One shows text, another a floating boxes animation.

Go into his kernel directory, and you can download the IP22 kernel ready
to run.

I looked carefully through all his patches and links. The extreme patch
is not to be found. I don't even see an email for this "milang" fellow.
However, interestingly, some of the kernel config files are labled
"onion".

If we get lucky, the right search terms in the world brain (google) might
just yeild fruit. I'll keep poking at it.

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
You've got an R8K drooool..... we're not worthy!!!! :)

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:58:53 -0500 (EST)
"J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, it may not be vaporware.

Depends on your definition of vaporware. If "doing 90% of the
work and then refusing to release the code because he never quite
finishes any fucking project and is embarrased by his code" qualifies,
then yes, it is vaporware. This guy has a history of doing exactly
this, and it is extremely frustrating. Also, he absolutely refuses to
provide the patch if you ask him directly.

> http://www.tal.org/~milang/o2/
>
> Got to this site. It's mostly O2 stuff, but if you look carefully in
> his screen shots, there are two that are supposedly of this FB
> console for extreme. One shows text, another a floating boxes
> animation.

That is indeed onion's site.

> Go into his kernel directory, and you can download the IP22 kernel
> ready to run.

Yes, I have tested this kernel and it does indeed work. Again though,
no code...

> I looked carefully through all his patches and links. The extreme
> patch is not to be found. I don't even see an email for this
> "milang" fellow. However, interestingly, some of the kernel config
> files are labled "onion".
>
> If we get lucky, the right search terms in the world brain (google)
> might just yeild fruit. I'll keep poking at it.

No, it won't. If there isn't a patch on onion's site, then there isn't
a patch anywhere (unless by chance somebody else independently wrote a
patch and then never bothered to announce it to the linux-mips
community).

-Steve
Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Hmmm...that's unfortunate. Does anyone know how to contact him?

He hasn't had a chance to learn to hate me yet...maybe I might have some
luck.

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> Well, it may not be vaporware.
>
> http://www.tal.org/~milang/o2/
>
> Got to this site. It's mostly O2 stuff, but if you look carefully in
> his screen shots, there are two that are supposedly of this FB console
> for extreme. One shows text, another a floating boxes animation.
>
> Go into his kernel directory, and you can download the IP22 kernel ready
> to run.
>
> I looked carefully through all his patches and links. The extreme patch
> is not to be found. I don't even see an email for this "milang" fellow.
> However, interestingly, some of the kernel config files are labled "onion".
>
> If we get lucky, the right search terms in the world brain (google)
> might just yeild fruit. I'll keep poking at it.
>
> -S-

Yeah, milang == onion. He's done this not only for Extreme's console driver,
but also a semi-working O2 sound driver. In both cases, he's either claimed
that his code quality is poor, or his girlfriend was taking up too much time, or
some other lame excuse. Even when we randomly nag him on #mipslinux on IRC, he
just ignores us now :P

This is why for O2's driver, we've just randomly tinker with the only known
source code version. Another linux-mips dev, Ladislav Michel (I think) of
debian apparently also has/had a driver at one point for early 2.6. But I don't
know if it's the same as the source one already out there (which was written by
a "vivian", if I recall correctly), or if his is related to onion's purported
driver at all.

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> You've got an R8K drooool..... we're not worthy!!!! :)

Yup, and the kernel has some of the code in place for it, TLB code IIRC. It
just needs R8K cache handling code, and some of the IP28 tweaks from Peter
Fuerst's IP28 patchset (not IP28-specific tweaks, but tweaks that I believe are
64bit specific, which are denoted in his patch's source as IP2628_*), and the
thing *might* boot. But that's just pure conjecture.

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
On 2/11/07, Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Yeah, milang == onion. He's done this not only for Extreme's console driver,
> but also a semi-working O2 sound driver. In both cases, he's either claimed
> that his code quality is poor, or his girlfriend was taking up too much time, or
> some other lame excuse. Even when we randomly nag him on #mipslinux on IRC, he
> just ignores us now :P
>
> This is why for O2's driver, we've just randomly tinker with the only known
> source code version. Another linux-mips dev, Ladislav Michel (I think) of
> debian apparently also has/had a driver at one point for early 2.6. But I don't
> know if it's the same as the source one already out there (which was written by
> a "vivian", if I recall correctly), or if his is related to onion's purported
> driver at all.
>

> --Kumba

the "vivian" you mention is actually vivien aka glaurung... the
address for her site where her patches can be found is
http://www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung/

but I'm not enough of a kernel dude to check if there is indeed the
needed patch there...

hope this helps someone out there... :)

--
Don't let a good lap go to waste... Adopt a rescued animal today
Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Johnathon Schade wrote:

> the "vivian" you mention is actually vivien aka glaurung... the
> address for her site where her patches can be found is
> http://www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung/
>
> but I'm not enough of a kernel dude to check if there is indeed the
> needed patch there...
>
> hope this helps someone out there... :)

glaurung was a guy, last I heard....

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:02:58 -0500, Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org> wrote:

> glaurung was a guy, last I heard....

I could be wrong, I don't know who it is, was going from the email address
on the link I posted... No offense intened to anyone, but a name like
vivien is something I envision a girl with... here's the email link off
the page...

[quote] You can contact me at the following address
<vivien.chappelier@linux-mips.org> [/quote]

--
Don't let a good lap go to waste... Adopt a shelter pet today!
Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Well, a real man subscribes his WIFE to the linux kernel list. It's the
gift that keeps on giving, and giving, and giving..... :-) Oh well,
that's what happens when you're doing email at 3 am.

Regarding the glaurung site, yes, there is an ALSA patch for a
mips-sgi-O2-AD1834 driver against kernel 2.6.1. The driver is incomplete,
but has the core functionality there. It will be a week or so, before I
can start, but I will see what it takes to start pulling this patch
forward.

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
> Regarding the glaurung site, yes, there is an ALSA patch for a
> mips-sgi-O2-AD1834 driver against kernel 2.6.1. The driver is
> incomplete, but has the core functionality there. It will be a week
> or so, before I can start, but I will see what it takes to start
> pulling this patch forward.

Yes yes...we're very well aware of that patch, and have been for years
now. You probably do not want to start with that one. There is a much
newer version floating around somewhere in the linux-mips mailing list
archives from some fellow that updated it to 2.6.13 or so. That would
probably be a better starting point, although I think it is still a
heaping pile of shit. People that really know what they are doing have
indicated that it would likely be best to start from scratch, but
whatever, knock yourself out.

-Steve
Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
I'll look for that. I was thinking that I had seen a newer one.

Where's the best place to find any info we have on the hardware?

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> I'll look for that. I was thinking that I had seen a newer one.
>
> Where's the best place to find any info we have on the hardware?

Datasheet:
http://avmaster.bnx.homelinux.net/datasheets/ad1843.pdf

Engineer-to-Engineer Note:
http://avmaster.bnx.homelinux.net/datasheets/ad1843-ee_51.pdf

Mighty is the Google.

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Thanks! I did do some research on the linux-mips list also. I did find
an alsa mips driver that dates to 2.6.6, but it was for a mips eval board,
not for the O2. I'll keep looking. Even if we end up with somehting new
from scratch, it would be helpful to see what was done for the O2 before.

-S-

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> Thanks! I did do some research on the linux-mips list also. I did find
> an alsa mips driver that dates to 2.6.6, but it was for a mips eval
> board, not for the O2. I'll keep looking. Even if we end up with
> somehting new from scratch, it would be helpful to see what was done for
> the O2 before.
>
> -S-

FYI, the Octane uses an ALSA mips driver, so if you're looking for any tips on
making a (new|old) driver for the AD1843 chip ALSA compatible, that might be of
use. Granted, the only thing in comparison the sound chips on both systems have
in common is that they have an SGI label stamped on them. Everything else is
guesswork :)

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
I had considered looking at the other drivers for IP22 and Octane to see
what I could learn in comparison to the old 2.6.1 driver. Should be fun.
:)

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> I had considered looking at the other drivers for IP22 and Octane to see
> what I could learn in comparison to the old 2.6.1 driver. Should be
> fun. :)
>
> -S-

IP22 won't be of much use. That uses the old OSS interface, and when upstream
finally dumps those, IP22 will be without sound unless someone ports it to ALSA.

--Kumba

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Well, I guess I do have some work cut out for me then. I never tried the
sound on my IP22 simply because without a console, multi-media wasn't much
fun. Yes, we should do an alsa version for that too. I'd still prefer to
tackle the O2 first though.

Re: Indigo2 IP22 [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> Well, I guess I do have some work cut out for me then. I never tried
> the sound on my IP22 simply because without a console, multi-media
> wasn't much fun. Yes, we should do an alsa version for that too. I'd
> still prefer to tackle the O2 first though.
>
> -S-

Good luck :) If you get anything that builds and does something functional,
post it and I'll give it a spin. As soon as I pin down this IP32 prom crash I'm
seeing in 2.6.20 now (joy).

--Kumba