Mailing List Archive

O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6]
I've seen the old driver patch you refer to floating around out there.
After I've done my USB and firewire experiments, I wouldn't mind taking a
look at this to see how bad it is. An SGI without sound is kind of like a
car without wheels....

Over all, I've been quite impressed. Most things that I try seem to be
generally working. I've already succeeded in building the box up as a
general desktop system. X11, WindowMaker, transparent Xterms, NLS, DDD,
gvim, GIMP, Firefox 2.0, QT, openGL (some GL works, some crash the X
server), XFIG, gv (pdf and ps viewer), xv, gtk, imagemagik, tetex,
ghostscript, etc...

I've also done some work to verify IPv6. The kernel module loads, the
machine auto addresses, and the 6-to-4 driver loads. I still need to
rebuild some userland with USE=ipv6 to fully check it out, but I'm not
expecting any surprises at this point.

The PPTP and PPP-MPPE vpn support is working. I've spent entire days
plugged into my work VPN during my work from home days using the O2 as an
X console and VPN access node. No surprises here.

The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been
doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it
with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And
under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally well
performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple weeks -
no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know people on
non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it a lot and
have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that made it
unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and features to
recommend this file system - assuming stability of course. :) It's
definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new non-intel box.

Cheers,

-S-

Re: O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
On 2/9/07, J. Scott Kasten <jscottkasten@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've seen the old driver patch you refer to floating around out there.
> After I've done my USB and firewire experiments, I wouldn't mind taking a
> look at this to see how bad it is. An SGI without sound is kind of like a
> car without wheels....
>

> Over all, I've been quite impressed. Most things that I try seem to be
> generally working. I've already succeeded in building the box up as a
> general desktop system. X11, WindowMaker, transparent Xterms, NLS, DDD,
> gvim, GIMP, Firefox 2.0, QT, openGL (some GL works, some crash the X
> server), XFIG, gv (pdf and ps viewer), xv, gtk, imagemagik, tetex,
> ghostscript, etc...
>
> I've also done some work to verify IPv6. The kernel module loads, the
> machine auto addresses, and the 6-to-4 driver loads. I still need to
> rebuild some userland with USE=ipv6 to fully check it out, but I'm not
> expecting any surprises at this point.
>
> The PPTP and PPP-MPPE vpn support is working. I've spent entire days
> plugged into my work VPN during my work from home days using the O2 as an
> X console and VPN access node. No surprises here.
>
> The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been
> doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it
> with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And
> under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally well
> performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple weeks -
> no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know people on
> non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it a lot and
> have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that made it
> unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and features to
> recommend this file system - assuming stability of course. :) It's
> definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new non-intel box.

Be careful. I tried to use JFS on some sparc boxes, and ran into some
subtle bugs that no one seemed to be able to solve that led to
filesystem corruption: things like disappearing/reappearing files and
directories. On the other hand I've had no problems with JFS on AMD64
or x86.

Alex

Re: O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
J. Scott Kasten wrote:

> The file system chosen for my box is IBM's JFS. In work life, I've been
> doing embedded stuff with JFS for a couple years now. I first tried it
> with gentoo and mips under kernel 2.13 about a year and a half ago. And
> under 2.17.10-mips, it is still proving to be solid and exceptionally
> well performing as I've emerged about 500 packages in the last couple
> weeks - no crashes, no oops, no data corruption, rock solid. I know
> people on non-intel are skeptical of it, but I've been warming up to it
> a lot and have never seen issues, but I've had issues with reiser that
> made it unacceptable. There's a lot in terms of performance and
> features to recommend this file system - assuming stability of course.
> :) It's definately worthy of consideration when setting up a new
> non-intel box.

I wouldn't say we're skeptical, just that no one wanted to run it long enough to
validate it at a working FS under non-x86 architectures. JFS is the one I've
not really messed with too much, so I always held a neutral point of view.
RiserFS3 ate half my x86 filesystem once, but I think we all have been down that
road. XFS I tried once on x86 under 2.6.1, and it liked to oops quite a bit.
Plus the slow deletion time was always a nuisance. Thus, I stuck with ext3.

Come to think of it, actually, I did try JFS once on mips, but I believe there
was a compile bug in the driver when I did, so I just moved on. Can't recall.

But, tis good to know someone have tested it so extensively. Maybe in the next
documentation pass, we'll have to mark it as viable.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: O2 Sound and Misc Stuff. [Was LiveCD RC6] [ In reply to ]
Alex Deucher wrote:

> Be careful. I tried to use JFS on some sparc boxes, and ran into some
> subtle bugs that no one seemed to be able to solve that led to
> filesystem corruption: things like disappearing/reappearing files and
> directories. On the other hand I've had no problems with JFS on AMD64
> or x86.

I believe there were known issues between JFS and sparc (sparc64 especially) at
some point, but I can't recall completely (either whether that was the case, or
a timeframe either).

--Kumba