Mailing List Archive

Error booting first time Qube2
Hello,

After the last days, I compiled all necessary packages for my Qube 2 and
today I was able to restart it. But after loading the kernel, the following
error occured:
********************
Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.17.10-mipsgit-20060618/modules.dep: No such file or
directory
modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
/lib/modules/2.6.17.10-mipsgit-20060618/modules.dep: No such file or
directory

INIT: version 2.86 booting
Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org/
Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPLv2

Press I to enter interactive boot mode

* Mounting proc at /proc ... [
ok ]
* Mounting sysfs at /sys ... [
ok ]
* Mounting /dev for udev ...[ oops ]

* The "mount" command failed with error:

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on udev,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

* Since this is a critical task, startup cannot continue.

Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
********************

So, what can I do? I was sure to have enabled ext3 in kernel.

Hope there is a way to replace the kernel, maybe someone can send me a
working one, but mounting nfs or something else is not possible, as long as
I can't write to /etc.

Thank you very much in advance for help

Daniel

Re: Error booting first time Qube2 [ In reply to ]
Daniel Seichter wrote:
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
> /lib/modules/2.6.17.10-mipsgit-20060618/modules.dep: No such file or
> directory
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
> /lib/modules/2.6.17.10-mipsgit-20060618/modules.dep: No such file or
> directory

This probably means you forgot to run 'make modules_install' when you built your
kernel.

> * Mounting /dev for udev ...[ oops ]
> * The "mount" command failed with error:
>
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on udev,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so

This looks like you left out tmpfs support in your kernel.

Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
AW: Error booting first time Qube2 [ In reply to ]
Good evening Andrew,

Thank you for your tip, after I compiled tmpfs into the kernel, everything
works fine and my qube2 is online!

Wish you a nice evening!

Daniel