Mailing List Archive

Booting issues
Hi,

I'm still trying to get my inaugural disk boot to work on my Octane 1.
I've used Skylark's config file for the kernel build (as I couldn't find
the official gentoo one, and the default gentoo install kernel doesn't
seem to work for me anyway), but I get a fairly blunt error, with a few
magic numbers.

The results of a boot attempt follow:
ARCLoader 0.43(...)
Reading 5638216 bytes... OK.
Entering kernel.

NESTED EXCEPTION #1 (vid 0) at EPC: ffffffff9fc6819c; first exception at
PC: 0

<EOF>

Any suggestions as to the problem, or potential solution? Where should I
look for further information? Is there additional information I should
provide? What troubleshooting advice is there? Has anyone else ever seen
this?

This is a fresh, current Gentoo install...

Thanks for your help,

Richard
Re: Booting issues [ In reply to ]
Richard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to get my inaugural disk boot to work on my Octane 1.
> I've used Skylark's config file for the kernel build (as I couldn't find
> the official gentoo one, and the default gentoo install kernel doesn't
> seem to work for me anyway), but I get a fairly blunt error, with a few
> magic numbers.
>
> The results of a boot attempt follow:
> ARCLoader 0.43(...)
> Reading 5638216 bytes... OK.
> Entering kernel.
>
> NESTED EXCEPTION #1 (vid 0) at EPC: ffffffff9fc6819c; first exception at
> PC: 0
>
> <EOF>
>
> Any suggestions as to the problem, or potential solution? Where should I
> look for further information? Is there additional information I should
> provide? What troubleshooting advice is there? Has anyone else ever seen
> this?
>
> This is a fresh, current Gentoo install...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Richard

Apparently, this problem has been around, hiding for quite some time. None of
us ever identified it as a RealProblem(TM) because when you netboot the kernel,
the issue doesn't arise. Once I started testing bootable CDs again, I ran into
it like a bird into a glass window.

I haven't had a chance to try and isolate what the exact cause is. I suspect
the problem is in the Octane kernel patch itself rather than the Linux-mips
tree, so I doubt using tools to hunt it down in git is going to pay off. The
one solution I have discovered is below if you want to use disk-based booting:

1) Unmask gcc-4.1.1 by adding '>=sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1' to
/etc/portage/package.unmask (without the quotes). You don't have to merge it
yet, as it's not needed for fixing the kernel, but I made it a dependency of
2.6.17* for an upcoming nptl migration. It's safe to merge, however.

2) If you're running unstable (ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~mips), then you can merge
sys-kernel/mips-sources-2.6.17.7 (or whatever is latest). Otherwise, you'll
need to add the following to /etc/portage/package.keywords temporarily:
'sys-kernel/mips-sources ~mips'

3) Merge sys-devel/kgcc64-3.4.6 and unmerge sys-devel/gcc-mips64. kgcc64
replaces gcc-mips64, and as a bonus, includes all the patches and bugfixes we
use in the main system compiler.

4) Compile a 2.6.17* kernel using the kgcc64 toolchain. It'll build only a
kernel compiler, and you can use it much the same way as you did gcc-mips64.

Boot the resultant kernel, and my testing so far shows that it will boot. I'm
still not sure how to go about tracking down the original problem. I have a
feeling it's possibly bad kernel code that gets miscompiled in kernel versions
from ~2.6.15 to ~2.6.16 (as 2.6.13* and 2.6.14* are known to boot off of
disk/cdrom). Building a 2.6.17 kernel with gcc-mips64 also re-creates the
problem, which somewhat indicates a compiler bug too. Hence the fuzzy nature of
this critter.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond