Mailing List Archive

Help!?! where have all the IP30 netboot images gone?!?!
Hi

I have looked in half a dozen gentoo mirrors and all the links to kumba's
directories etc looking for netboot images for the ip30/R10K in my SGI Octane

All the netboot images have disappeared!!!
what gives?

i just acquired this working Octane and want to get it going.
can someone advise where i can get the latest gentoo netboot images?

i realise there are issues with gentoo's profile at the moment and new netboot
images may be due out very soon when these issues are resolved, but
id like to get started now.

Especially as i may end up cross-compiling the linux for mips with
IP30 patches etc etc etc. I just want to get the whole netboot process
organised and happening to start with.

can anyone give me a working link to some images?

ta and cheers,
John

ta and cheerios,
John

ps i sent a similar email yesterday, before subscribing to the list,
so i am not sure whether emails from non-subscribers are actually
distributed to the list. i assume not so i have reposted this.

Re: Help!?! where have all the IP30 netboot images gone?!?! [ In reply to ]
temp1_snover@iprimus.com.au wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have looked in half a dozen gentoo mirrors and all the links to kumba's
> directories etc looking for netboot images for the ip30/R10K in my SGI Octane
>
> All the netboot images have disappeared!!!
> what gives?

All the ip30 images were broken, because kumba failed to test if
everything worked or not before releasing them. It turns out that
networking was broken, so they were removed. I'm pretty sure he has
some new experimental netboots that do work now in his devspace
somewhere. You might try asking him on irc.

-Steve
Re: Help!?! where have all the IP30 netboot images gone?!?! [ In reply to ]
aah ok,
thanks very much Steve i will get into the irc and ask Kumba :)

even a netboot with broken networking would be ok for me :)
i just want to get all the stuff set up on my main pc - dhcp, tftp,
etc etc to get the Octane booting up over the network.

if it boots up into a broken OS with no further networking thats
ok in the short term :)

As im sure Kumbas fixed images will be coming soon, or i will
try cross-compiling the vanilla sources from linux for mips with
the speedracer IP30 patches.

cheerios, and bo!
John

Re: Help!?! where have all the IP30 netboot images gone?!?! [ In reply to ]
John wrote:
> aah ok,
> thanks very much Steve i will get into the irc and ask Kumba :)
>
> even a netboot with broken networking would be ok for me :)
> i just want to get all the stuff set up on my main pc - dhcp, tftp,
> etc etc to get the Octane booting up over the network.
>
> if it boots up into a broken OS with no further networking thats
> ok in the short term :)
>
> As im sure Kumbas fixed images will be coming soon, or i will
> try cross-compiling the vanilla sources from linux for mips with
> the speedracer IP30 patches.

Don't bother with vanilla-sources and patching. There is a lot more to
it than just the speedracer patches. Just ebuild unpack
mips-sources-<foo>.ebuild, copy that to a suitable location, and do your
cross-compile.

-Steve
Re: Help!?! where have all the IP30 netboot images gone?!?! [ In reply to ]
Stephen P. Becker wrote:
> All the ip30 images were broken, because kumba failed to test if
> everything worked or not before releasing them. It turns out that
> networking was broken, so they were removed. I'm pretty sure he has
> some new experimental netboots that do work now in his devspace
> somewhere. You might try asking him on irc.

There are some images here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/netboot/new/

They are not what will become the final images, though, but they're close to it.
They're basically temp netboots until I finalize the real netboots that'll be
2.6.13.1-based.

Everything is sorta on hold until I hammer out some LiveCD issues

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond