Mailing List Archive

shmem
Hey,
I've run into a couple of programs that either when configuring or
running cannot allocate shared memory, or detect that it is available.
Is there an easy way to test whether or not it's available? should it
be mounted in a special way? Thanks for any info, my info is below.

kernel config:
http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/BigTom.config

output of mount:
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /var type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)
/dev/sda3 on /usr type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda4 on /home type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

Thanks very much,
-Dave
--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/05, Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org> wrote:

This is n32. I recall at least one of the apps working with o32. What
would be the issue with n32?
Thanks,
-Dave

--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
This might be easier if someone could provide me with a test program
that will attempt to allocate sysv shared memory. or something.
Thanks,
-Dave

RE: shmem [ In reply to ]
>This is n32. I recall at least one of the apps working with o32. What
>would be the issue with n32?

How many warnings have you ignored so far about using n32? I've lost count by
now. I've sent at least 3 or 4 to the list, and I know hardave has warned you
also.

Seriously, n32 doesn't work properly yet. It has major bugs and really should
not be used by anyone but developers. We aren't supporting n32 until these
problems have been worked out, and that may be a long time yet. That is all.

-Steve

Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/05, spbecker <spbecker@vt.edu> wrote:
> >This is n32. I recall at least one of the apps working with o32. What
> >would be the issue with n32?
>
> How many warnings have you ignored so far about using n32? I've lost count by
> now. I've sent at least 3 or 4 to the list, and I know hardave has warned you
> also.
>
> Seriously, n32 doesn't work properly yet. It has major bugs and really should
> not be used by anyone but developers. We aren't supporting n32 until these
> problems have been worked out, and that may be a long time yet. That is all.
>
> -Steve

Great, thanks again for being extraordinarily helpful. Why do you
think I keep asking questions? because I like being told something is
broken? I want to get this thing working, and I am more than happy to
help out the effort. If no one will tell me what the problem is, then
I'm going to have a hard time fixing it. here, ready? I hereby claim
myself as a developer, now will you stop belittling me? I may not know
all that much about the problems here, but I've got time and energy
and I can easily put it someplace else.
-Dave

--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:12:05 -0400 David Cummings
<real.psyence@gmail.com> wrote:
| Great, thanks again for being extraordinarily helpful. Why do you
| think I keep asking questions? because I like being told something is
| broken? I want to get this thing working, and I am more than happy to
| help out the effort. If no one will tell me what the problem is, then
| I'm going to have a hard time fixing it. here, ready? I hereby claim
| myself as a developer, now will you stop belittling me? I may not know
| all that much about the problems here, but I've got time and energy
| and I can easily put it someplace else.

Based upon the questions you're asking, I'd say your effort would be
best focused upon something which isn't as hairy as n32.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
RE: shmem [ In reply to ]
>Great, thanks again for being extraordinarily helpful. Why do you
>think I keep asking questions? because I like being told something is
>broken?

You have been asking questions about this stuff that seem to ignore the fact
that we don't support n32.

>I want to get this thing working, and I am more than happy to
>help out the effort. If no one will tell me what the problem is, then
>I'm going to have a hard time fixing it. here, ready?

The problem is that none of us have answers for your questions, therefore we
*can't* tell you what the problem is. Generally, n32 is so broken that the
developer team can't even use it. The multithreaded bug is a horribly painful
one that only somebody with good kernel hacking skills can fix, for example.
Any other bugs you may hit are just extra broken stuff that add to n32's
unusability. Add to that the fact some senior mips kernel and glibc
developers have told me that our toolchain and glibc are old enough
(relatively speaking) that they are surprised n32 works at all for us. There
isn't much we can do about this until newer versions are pushed forward in
portage.

>I hereby claim
>myself as a developer, now will you stop belittling me? I may not know
>all that much about the problems here, but I've got time and energy
>and I can easily put it someplace else.

Fix the n32 multithreaded kernel bug and we'll talk (see
http://beerandrocks.net:8080/~spbecker/oops/). Until then, you are just
complaining about problems we can't help you with. Furthermore, you started
this thread with complaining about your shmem problem, and only additional
questioning from Redhatter revealed that it was a n32 specific problem (as so
many are when you are playing with unsupported stuff like this). From now on,
you need to specify what sort of userland, as well as what kernel version(s)
you reproduced it with before we can even begin to help you.

-Steve

Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
spbecker wrote:

> Fix the n32 multithreaded kernel bug and we'll talk (see
> http://beerandrocks.net:8080/~spbecker/oops/). Until then, you are just
> complaining about problems we can't help you with. Furthermore, you started
> this thread with complaining about your shmem problem, and only additional
> questioning from Redhatter revealed that it was a n32 specific problem (as so
> many are when you are playing with unsupported stuff like this). From now on,
> you need to specify what sort of userland, as well as what kernel version(s)
> you reproduced it with before we can even begin to help you.

David: If you want to get a head start tackling this, try this idea (it's what
I'm going to do when I get my lazy self back into gear). Start with a 2.6.10
mips-kernel to use n32. This will give you a somewhat usable kernel with a
somewhat usable n32 userland. The annoying pthreads bug doesn't appear in this
kernel.

Now, starting from 2.6.12-rc1 (the next kernel rev checked into lmo cvs, they
skipped 2.6.11), do a checkout of _each day_ of linux-mips CVS, build a kernel,
and try it. Keep repeating until you find the first day the pthreads bug geoman
mentions first appears. Once we know this day, we can take a look at all the
CVS commits made that day and likely find the culprit patch that h0rked us.
Once found, maybe we can get some attention drawn to it on the linux-mips list
and thus get it fixed.

As for the shmem thing, good luck, heh. We've been trying to figure that one
out for months. hdparm is a program that will generate it every time. strace
too. Maybe one of those programs can be used as a test case to narrow down and
squish the shmem bug as well.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: shmem [ In reply to ]
> David: If you want to get a head start tackling this, try this idea
> (it's what I'm going to do when I get my lazy self back into gear).
> Start with a 2.6.10 mips-kernel to use n32. This will give you a
> somewhat usable kernel with a somewhat usable n32 userland. The
> annoying pthreads bug doesn't appear in this kernel.

I'm not sure this is possible. Remember, he's on ip27, and there were
serious problems getting that to work in <2.6.12.

-Steve