kernel config is here.
http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/2.6.12.config
I have to assume this is a patch I'm missing, or an easy fix,
something got changed recently and this didn't get updated. Wondering
if anyone has a quick solution. Thanks!
-dave
--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> Alright, here we go:
> with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS download of mips-sources, I get this error:
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/mips64make.err
> kernel config is here.
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/2.6.12.config
> I have to assume this is a patch I'm missing, or an easy fix,
> something got changed recently and this didn't get updated. Wondering
> if anyone has a quick solution. Thanks!
> -dave

you did unpack with USE="ip27", right?

i.e.,

USE="ip27" emerge =mips-sources-2.6.12_rc6

With that USE flag, a patch widely regarded as the worst hack of all time gets
applied to enable IP27 to function.

But you'll still hit the Ethernet/IOC3 bug.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
ok, I hadn't. That's not documented outside of the ebuild, which I
didn't know you were supposed to read. Learn something everyday.
Unfortunately, still fails with same message:
http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/ip27.2.6.12.err
any ideas?

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> ok, I hadn't. That's not documented outside of the ebuild, which I
> didn't know you were supposed to read. Learn something everyday.

You really should always "emerge -pv <foo>" before installing it to see
what USE flags the ebuild has available.

-Steve

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> ok, I hadn't. That's not documented outside of the ebuild, which I
> didn't know you were supposed to read. Learn something everyday.
> Unfortunately, still fails with same message:
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/ip27.2.6.12.err
> any ideas?

It's undocumented because IP27 isn't really one of our "stable" platforms. As
such, those who venture into trying it can be expected to hit some frustration
and the like.

There's some work going on that may address some of the problems. It might wind
up in the next mips-sources (which hopefully will be out by late tomorrow).

--Kumba

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
alright, thanks for the info about -pv, I really haven't spent much
time reading portage stuff, i've been enjoying gentoo's ease...
Still hitting this same irq stuff, maybe tomorrow's fixes will help.
let me know when those go out.

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> ok, I hadn't. That's not documented outside of the ebuild, which I
> didn't know you were supposed to read. Learn something everyday.
> Unfortunately, still fails with same message:
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/ip27.2.6.12.err
> any ideas?

Just out of curiousity, on the box you're building this kernel on can you post
the output of 'emerge info', 'mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -v',
'mips64-unknown-linux-gnu-ld -v', and 'head -n 5 Makefile' from your kernel sources.

Thanks.
Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/hardave.list
is the output of those four commands. thank you!

--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> Alright, here we go:
> with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS download of mips-sources, I get this error:
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/mips64make.err
> kernel config is here.
> http://davec.churchofthedollar.com/2.6.12.config
> I have to assume this is a patch I'm missing, or an easy fix,
> something got changed recently and this didn't get updated. Wondering
> if anyone has a quick solution. Thanks!
> -dave

mips-sources-2.6.12 is out. All the relevant files should be on the mirror, so
you should be able to build a working kernel from it. I tested it on a 2-node,
3-CPU Origin 200 and it worked well enough (That system was having external
network troubles, so I couldn't test anything else, but those problems were
unrelated to mips-sources).

I should have netboots going within a few days.

--Kumba

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
newest patch on any mirrors I checked was 20050610. perhaps tonight
there will be new ones? otherwise, these are the sources I was using
originally. I'll try again.
-dave

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
still nothing. all the mirrors emerge hits can't find the mipscvs diff
0703. Any ideas?

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> still nothing. all the mirrors emerge hits can't find the mipscvs diff
> 0703. Any ideas?

I've talked with one of our mirror admins, it should hit the mirrors sometime in
the next four hours.

Hardave
Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
got it. Thanks!

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
alright, now I have a new problem. I got a kernel to compile and
boot(!), but it dies at "Starting local". The pertinant output
follows. I am a little confused, but I have the idea that the new
install guide doesn't use devfs, so my kerneld didn't either, but now
I'm wondering...
Anywho, let me know what you think:

the console

* Error loading key mappings
[ !! ]
* Setting terminal encoding to ASCII .../etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71:
/dev/tty1: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty2: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty3: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty4: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty5: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty6: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty7: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty8: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty9: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty10: No such device or address
/etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty11: No such device or address
[ ok ]
* Setting user font ...Couldnt open //dev/tty1
Couldnt open //dev/tty2
Couldnt open //dev/tty3
Couldnt open //dev/tty4
Couldnt open //dev/tty5
...etcetera...
* Failed to set user font
[ !! ]
* Starting lo
* Bringing up lo ... [ ok ]
* Initializing random number generator ... [ ok ]
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
* Starting eth0
* Bringing up eth0
* Configuration not set for eth0 - assuming dhcp
* dhcp
* Running dhcpcd ... [ ok ]
* eth0 received address 192.168.1.186
* Mounting network filesystems ... [ ok ]
* Starting local ... [ ok ]
INIT:
Id "c4"
IId "c2
INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]

David Cummings said:
> alright, now I have a new problem. I got a kernel to compile and
> boot(!), but it dies at "Starting local". The pertinant output
> follows. I am a little confused, but I have the idea that the new
> install guide doesn't use devfs, so my kerneld didn't either, but now
> I'm wondering...
> Anywho, let me know what you think:

> the console
>
> * Error loading key mappings
> [ !!
> ]
> * Setting terminal encoding to ASCII .../etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71:
> /dev/tty1: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty2: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty3: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty4: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty5: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty6: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty7: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty8: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty9: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty10: No such device or address
> /etc/init.d/keymaps: line 71: /dev/tty11: No such device or address
> [ ok ]

Basically, processes are trying to get at the virtual terminals (tty1~12) to
set various options such as keymaps, and to set up login sessions, and failing
to do so. You need to use serial console on these boxes, which is described
in the Gentoo/MIPS Handbook[1].

I'd recommend disabling the 'keymaps' and 'consolefont' services at boot
(rc-update del keymaps ; rc-update del consolefont IIRC, could be 'rem'
instead too).

> * Setting user font ...Couldnt open //dev/tty1
> ---------------------------8<----------------------------
> INIT:
> Id "c4"
> IId "c2
> INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Yep, init keeps trying to start getty's on those consoles, and they keep
failing. This is a symptom of not having true local consoles. See the above
link to the handbook on how to fix this.

(BTW: in future emails to the list, could you _please_ not top-post when
replying? It _really_ makes it difficult to read threads when posts end up in
reverse-cronological order, as one has to mentally, re-order the posts.)

- --
: ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
:/ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
:- ( ) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer
: \ // O _| / /\ \ | | | /\ | /\ |
: / / \ /__| / \ \ | | | \/ | \/ |
:(___/ \____/|_; |_| \_/ \__/ \__/ http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter

Footnotes:
1.
<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-mips.xml?part=1&chap=10#doc_chap3>

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
On 7/7/05, Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > IId "c2
> > INIT: Id "c3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "c5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "c6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> Yep, init keeps trying to start getty's on those consoles, and they keep
> failing. This is a symptom of not having true local consoles. See the above
> link to the handbook on how to fix this.
>
> (BTW: in future emails to the list, could you _please_ not top-post when
> replying? It _really_ makes it difficult to read threads when posts end up in
> reverse-cronological order, as one has to mentally, re-order the posts.)
>
> - --
> : ____ _ Stuart Longland (a.k.a Redhatter)
> :/ \ ___ ___ __| |__ __ __ Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs
> :- ( ) \ / \ ; \(__ __)/ \ / \ Developer

Thanks for the tips. I ended up finding the INIT fix somewhere and got
that working, so the serial console works, and everything's groovy.
And yes, that is in the handbook. However, the commands for disabling
keymaps and consolefont are not, and although I could probably have
figured them out, I think it makes sense to have them in that section.
Is there a wiki somewhere? It took me a while to get this machine
running and there's a couple of things specific to the origin I found
helpful. And sorry for the top-posting, gmail makes it easy, hiding
the quoted text and putting the cursor at the top when I hit reply. Oh
well, that's what I get for web-based email. Thanks again,
-Dave
--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: 2.6.12 mips-sources compile error [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:

> Thanks for the tips. I ended up finding the INIT fix somewhere and got
> that working, so the serial console works, and everything's groovy.
> And yes, that is in the handbook. However, the commands for disabling
> keymaps and consolefont are not, and although I could probably have
> figured them out, I think it makes sense to have them in that section.
> Is there a wiki somewhere? It took me a while to get this machine
> running and there's a couple of things specific to the origin I found
> helpful. And sorry for the top-posting, gmail makes it easy, hiding
> the quoted text and putting the cursor at the top when I hit reply. Oh
> well, that's what I get for web-based email. Thanks again,

Make up a list of your notes, and submit them in a bug (at bugs.gentoo.org),
assigned to mips@gentoo.org, and I'm sure Redhatter can find a way to fit them
into the Handbook under the relevant section(s). User feedback in this regard,
especially on IP27, is always helpful to have so it can get documented.

--Kumba