Mailing List Archive

o2 and www-browser and mail client
Hello guys,

I understand that o2 can run X-server so I had been searching some www browser and mail-client on portage-packages and found that there are no many of them:
dillo and mutt. Is it really like this it is not ported netscape or mozilla on o2 under gentoo? thanks for info

Petr
Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
Petr´s mailing list wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I understand that o2 can run X-server so I had been searching some www browser and mail-client on portage-packages and found that there are no many of them:
> dillo and mutt. Is it really like this it is not ported netscape or mozilla on o2 under gentoo? thanks for info
>
> Petr
> http://www.seznam.cz - e-mailová schránka 2000 MB

Well, O2 can *maybe* run an X server depending on how much RAM you have
and if you are using a properly patched kernel. And by "depending on
how much RAM you have" I mean if you have 512mb, you need to either add
or remove RAM or else X won't work.

Anyway, to answer your real question, if you were looking to use your O2
to browse the web with some mozilla based browser, you are out of luck
at this time with Gentoo. Mozilla based stuff uses crappy asm code for
libxpcom, which was never ported properly for mips, so it won't compile.
There is a patch to fix this, but it also requires some nasty binutils
patches that may break anything qt related. Plus, when I did try it,
mozilla would just segfault on startup anyway. If you really want a
decent browser, you will have to emerge kdebase to get konqueror, which
is really painful because then you need kdelibs and qt in addition. You
could unmask the split konqueror ebuild, but you would still need qt and
kdelibs, so it wouldn't be *that* much of a timesaver.

I do plan on looking into fixing this some time in the future, but I
just don't have time right now.

-Steve
Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
Thanks Steve,

I have 192MB RAM. Is it enough to run X server. I can see it is really not easy to compile things to get Konqueror up and running.

Petr

Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
That depends on your level of comfort. Like, if you have cancer,
your time is probably better spent doing other things. Just run X, twm,
and a few xterms and you're set with a nice irc terminal. If you plan
on using it for CAD to design the next world's tallest building and grow
a beard to your knees at the same time, you'll be a very happy person.

Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:41:12 -0500 "Christopher G. Stach II"
<cgs@ldsys.net> wrote:
| That depends on your level of comfort. Like, if you have cancer,
| your time is probably better spent doing other things. Just run X,
| twm

...and if you don't have cancer, using twm will give you it.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
One moment... people seem to like top-posting here... I'll just
re-arrange the order of posts, back to the way it *should be*...
RFC1855 is a good read ;-)

Petr´s mailing list wrote:
>>> I understand that o2 can run X-server so I had been searching some www browser and mail-client on portage-packages and found that there are no many of them:
>>> dillo and mutt. Is it really like this it is not ported netscape or mozilla on o2 under gentoo? thanks for info
>>
>> Well, O2 can *maybe* run an X server depending on how much RAM you have
>> and if you are using a properly patched kernel. And by "depending on
>> how much RAM you have" I mean if you have 512mb, you need to either add
>> or remove RAM or else X won't work.
>>
>> Anyway, to answer your real question, if you were looking to use your O2
>> to browse the web with some mozilla based browser, you are out of luck
>> at this time with Gentoo. Mozilla based stuff uses crappy asm code for
>> libxpcom, which was never ported properly for mips, so it won't compile.
>> There is a patch to fix this, but it also requires some nasty binutils
>> patches that may break anything qt related. Plus, when I did try it,
>> mozilla would just segfault on startup anyway. If you really want a
>> decent browser, you will have to emerge kdebase to get konqueror, which
>> is really painful because then you need kdelibs and qt in addition. You
>> could unmask the split konqueror ebuild, but you would still need qt and
>> kdelibs, so it wouldn't be *that* much of a timesaver.
>>
>> I do plan on looking into fixing this some time in the future, but I
>> just don't have time right now.
>
> Thanks Steve,
>
> I have 192MB RAM. Is it enough to run X server. I can see it is really not easy to compile things to get Konqueror up and running.
>
> Petr

192MB should be okay. IIRC, the problem is with RAM == 512MB, not RAM <
512MB or RAM > 512MB. :-) Mind you... more RAM won't hurt. :-D

`emerge konqueror` should do what you want. :-)

| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
Re: o2 and www-browser and mail client [ In reply to ]
> `emerge konqueror` should do what you want. :-)

No, it won't. Check the keywords.

Steve