Mailing List Archive

Introduction and Questions
Hey all,
I just subscribed to the list, and hoping that it's active, am
posting a question. The question is: Does Gentoo run on the
Origin2000?

I happen to have an O2k sitting here that we'd like to play with,
and being frustrated with IRIX compiling issues just isn't the way to
be. I don't need anything fancy supported in the hardware, just a
single base module sitting in a rack with 4 nodes at 2x250(R10k) and
1280mb ram each, headless, no graphics.

So, if linux runs at all, I'll need help getting it up and
running, and then I will try and help out as much as possible with
development, though I must warn you all I have practically no
experience with porting, etc. (but i'm in school, have lots of
interest, and a boss who's willing to pay me to play around with linux
on this puppy!)

So, let me know what the current status is, if anyone else has an
O2k/Onyx system running and what needs to be done.

Thanks very much
-David Cummings
--
The way that can be named is not the Way.

Re: Introduction and Questions [ In reply to ]
David Cummings wrote:
> Hey all,
> I just subscribed to the list, and hoping that it's active, am
> posting a question. The question is: Does Gentoo run on the
> Origin2000?

It most certainly does...
<http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/index.php/IP27>. Things can be a little
on the flakey side (i.e. there are a number of hacks required to get the
kernel to behave), but certainly nothing that we can't work around.

> I happen to have an O2k sitting here that we'd like to play with,
> and being frustrated with IRIX compiling issues just isn't the way to
> be. I don't need anything fancy supported in the hardware, just a
> single base module sitting in a rack with 4 nodes at 2x250(R10k) and
> 1280mb ram each, headless, no graphics.
>
> So, if linux runs at all, I'll need help getting it up and
> running, and then I will try and help out as much as possible with
> development, though I must warn you all I have practically no
> experience with porting, etc. (but i'm in school, have lots of
> interest, and a boss who's willing to pay me to play around with linux
> on this puppy!)

Got an IRC client? I'd recommend pointing it at irc.freenode.net and
popping into #gentoo-mips. IIRC Ilya Volynets (iluxa) owns such a box,
and certainly between the regulars in that room, we should be able to
assist. :-) I hide under the name 'Redhatter' (and no, that has nothing
to do with the Linux distro ;-) I'm known to be a bit of a mad hatter)

> So, let me know what the current status is, if anyone else has an
> O2k/Onyx system running and what needs to be done.

Essentially, as I say, it's a little on the flakey side (due to the
complexity of IP27) but by no means usable. Aparently, once you get
these boxes working properly, they work really well. :-)

Anyways, pop in, and well see where we go from there.
And if there's anything I need to stick in the Gentoo/MIPS Handbook --
let me know. I'm the XML monkey currently maintaining the handbook at
the moment, so if there's some part of the guide that's not clear,
whatever, feel free to pester me.
| Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |