Mailing List Archive

SGI's for sale
Well, I have several SGI's I am willing to sell
without the hassle of Ebay if any one is interested.

Here's the breakdown

1 x Indy R4400/200MHz/1MCache 256M RAM 24bitXL 2 Gig
HD. SGI Keyboard $120

1 x Indy R4400/150MHz/512KCache 128M RAM 8bit 2 Gig
HD.
SGI Keyboard $80

1 x Indigo 2 Impact R10000/195MHz/1MCache 640M RAM,
Solid Imact Video, 4 Gig HD, CDROM+SLED - $150

Or you can buy all three for $300. All are in perfect
condition and kept in a super clean environment.

I need the money to buy a heavy duty Octane2. :)

--- Stuart Longland <stuartl@longlandclan.hopto.org>

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Mike Poullas wrote:
> Well, I have several SGI's I am willing to sell
> without the hassle of Ebay if any one is interested.
>
> Here's the breakdown
>
> 1 x Indy R4400/200MHz/1MCache 256M RAM 24bitXL 2 Gig
> HD. SGI Keyboard $120
>
> 1 x Indy R4400/150MHz/512KCache 128M RAM 8bit 2 Gig
> HD.
> SGI Keyboard $80
>
> 1 x Indigo 2 Impact R10000/195MHz/1MCache 640M RAM,
> Solid Imact Video, 4 Gig HD, CDROM+SLED - $150
>
> Or you can buy all three for $300. All are in perfect
> condition and kept in a super clean environment.
>
> I need the money to buy a heavy duty Octane2. :)

I'd say overall you are asking twice what these are worth at best,
probably three times what they are worth more realistically. The market
for these sorts of machines has plummeted in the past couple of years.
For example I purchased an indy nearly identical to the first one on
your list there (had less RAM) for 20 dollars on ebay a year ago.

Steve

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Interesting but you got lucky to get an indy for $20
and even then I would be curious as to what you have
inside it. And nearly indentical make a big
difference. I have been following Ebay for SGI closely
for the past year and I have found that either the
equipment is in horrible shape, broken or it lacks
components like FULL ram and Video. I suppose the
prices are negotiable but not by 100%. Anyhow, I dont
want to swamp the list with selling things. It was
just a heads up.

--- "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Mike Poullas wrote:
> > Well, I have several SGI's I am willing to sell
> > without the hassle of Ebay if any one is
> interested.
> >
> > Here's the breakdown
> >
> > 1 x Indy R4400/200MHz/1MCache 256M RAM 24bitXL 2
> Gig
> > HD. SGI Keyboard $120
> >
> > 1 x Indy R4400/150MHz/512KCache 128M RAM 8bit 2
> Gig
> > HD.
> > SGI Keyboard $80
> >
> > 1 x Indigo 2 Impact R10000/195MHz/1MCache 640M
> RAM,
> > Solid Imact Video, 4 Gig HD, CDROM+SLED - $150
> >
> > Or you can buy all three for $300. All are in
> perfect
> > condition and kept in a super clean environment.
> >
> > I need the money to buy a heavy duty Octane2. :)
> >

> I'd say overall you are asking twice what these are
> worth at best,
> probably three times what they are worth more
> realistically. The market
> for these sorts of machines has plummeted in the
> past couple of years.
> For example I purchased an indy nearly identical to
> the first one on
> your list there (had less RAM) for 20 dollars on
> ebay a year ago.
>
> Steve

Mike Poullas
656 rue Pierre
Laval, Qc., H7X 3T1
(450) 969-4642
E-mail: mikepoullas@yahoo.com
Web Page: http://www.geocities.com/mikepoullas/

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Stephen P. Becker wrote:

> Mike Poullas wrote:
>
>> Well, I have several SGI's I am willing to sell
>> without the hassle of Ebay if any one is interested.
>>
>> Here's the breakdown
>>
>> 1 x Indy R4400/200MHz/1MCache 256M RAM 24bitXL 2 Gig
>> HD. SGI Keyboard $120
>>
>> 1 x Indy R4400/150MHz/512KCache 128M RAM 8bit 2 Gig
>> HD.
>> SGI Keyboard $80
>>
>> 1 x Indigo 2 Impact R10000/195MHz/1MCache 640M RAM,
>> Solid Imact Video, 4 Gig HD, CDROM+SLED - $150
>>
>> Or you can buy all three for $300. All are in perfect
>> condition and kept in a super clean environment.
>>
>> I need the money to buy a heavy duty Octane2. :)
>>

> I'd say overall you are asking twice what these are worth at best,
> probably three times what they are worth more realistically. The
> market for these sorts of machines has plummeted in the past couple of
> years. For example I purchased an indy nearly identical to the first
> one on your list there (had less RAM) for 20 dollars on ebay a year ago.
>
> Steve

Sorry to hitch a ride on this particular thread but someone is offering
me an Iris Indigo Workstation model CMNB003B could anyone give me an
idea as to the value of the beast. I'm awaiting the list of the specs
but it has the graphics card and processor cages in and looks to be
populated also has a panel on the back with 2 BNC connectors and the
word FORE printed on it ??? It's missing the front access door but other
than that looks good. No Kb or mouse go figure who would ever need those
LOL and not sure as to an OS but most likely not.

Thanks guys

Richard

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Richard,

I have no idea about that model (CPU, RAM, HD, VIDEO)
and what the guy is selling it for but consider my
Indigo 2 R10000 impact is FULLY loaded and I'm asking
$150 including Irix 6.5.17 loaded on it.

And also keep in mind that most SGI require a monitor
that does sync-on-green. Make sure that whatever CRT
or LCD you have supports sync-on-green or you will not
be happy. Also, SGIs typically use a 13W3 video
connector (O2's use standard 15pinDSUB but still do
sync-on-green) so if you use a PC monitor you will
need a 13W3 to 15pinDSUB adapter. All my systems have
these adapters.

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
About $0.39.

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Thanks Mike;
But forgive my ignorance but where in the family tree would this system
sit as in pre Impact or or post indy etc... it's the tower model at any
rate not sure if there were other case configurations.

Regards
Richard

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
If I am not mistaken, the Indigo came out after the
Indy but typically carries the same specs as far as
CPU's are concerened. Somewhere in the R4xxx or R5000
family. They differe in video horspower and
expandability as well as system bus.

Have a look at this link. This guy has a great site
for getting SGI (and other) info on obsolete hardware.

I am curiouos to know what you intend to do with an
SGI?

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike;

Link??

Well I do allot of work in Photoshop and to be honest I have always
wanted an SGI system, well that and a nice Sun. I have been in Clones
and Macs dating back to the 286's and several years ago was in
attendance for the Octane release so I have always been curious as to
how they will perform and I wanta play with it.

Regards
Richard

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Oh Mike;

I may be able to snag it for about $30.00 to 40.00 USD and then $29.00
for shipping.

Richard

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Ok, then you will want to make sure you get an O2,
Indigo with an Extreme Video Card or Indigo 2 with an
High or Max impact card or an Octane.

Bottom line is, you need the fastest CPU and Video
card and RAM you can afford.

Too bad, I had an extreme graphics card for the Indigo
(Teal color) and sold it for $35.

Although why you want to mess around with Photoshop on
SGI I don't know. And I mean that in a good way.

Also, Photoshop for SGI is only available under Irix.
For Gentoo/Linux you will need to run GIMP. GIMP is
available for almost all OS's and platforms.

--- Richard Morton <master_raven@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike;
>
> Link??
>
> Well I do allot of work in Photoshop and to be
> honest I have always
> wanted an SGI system, well that and a nice Sun. I
> have been in Clones
> and Macs dating back to the 286's and several years
> ago was in
> attendance for the Octane release so I have always
> been curious as to
> how they will perform and I wanta play with it.
>
> Regards
> Richard
>
> Mike Poullas wrote:
>
> >If I am not mistaken, the Indigo came out after the
> >Indy but typically carries the same specs as far as
> >CPU's are concerened. Somewhere in the R4xxx or
> R5000
> >family. They differe in video horspower and
> >expandability as well as system bus.
> >
> >Have a look at this link. This guy has a great site
> >for getting SGI (and other) info on obsolete
> hardware.
> >
> >I am curiouos to know what you intend to do with an
> >SGI?
> >
> > --- Richard Morton <master_raven@rogers.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks Mike;
> >>But forgive my ignorance but where in the family
> >>tree would this system
> >>sit as in pre Impact or or post indy etc... it's
> the
> >>tower model at any
> >>rate not sure if there were other case
> >>configurations.
> >>
> >>Regards
> >>Richard

> >>VIDEO)

> my
> >>>

> >>asking

> >>monitor

> >>CRT

> will
> >>>

> >>not

> do
> will
> >>>

> >>have

> sell

> 2

> 2

> environment.

> :)

=== message truncated ===

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Cool.

No matter what SGI you get, at that price I personally
believe you cannot get a better *nix box out there. I
use to be a SUN only guy until I bought my first SGI.
Now I could never go back.

I like SUN boxes too but I dont like Solaris at all.
It has no soul, no magic, no pow! Come to think of it,
neither does most their Hardware. Although they are
reliable in case you want to run a web server.

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
--- Richard Morton <master_raven@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike;
>
> Link??

Ooops. Forgot the link:

http://hardware.majix.org/

mp

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Mike Poullas wrote:
> Interesting but you got lucky to get an indy for $20
> and even then I would be curious as to what you have
> inside it. And nearly indentical make a big
> difference. I have been following Ebay for SGI closely
> for the past year and I have found that either the
> equipment is in horrible shape, broken or it lacks
> components like FULL ram and Video. I suppose the
> prices are negotiable but not by 100%. Anyhow, I dont
> want to swamp the list with selling things. It was
> just a heads up.

I've snagged the following off eBay over the last two years:

1) an Indy R5K/180 w/ 128MB ram, no HD, XL 24bit for $26
2) 2x O2's, R5K/180 w/ 128MB ram (between the two) for $100. One was
dead and needed a new mainboard ($26 there), plus more ram (~$29),
and I wound up getting an R5K/200 CPU module for $19 to upgrade a box.
3) Octane R12K/300 (UP) for $100 (+$60sh). Later invested $160 for PCI cage,
~$160 for R12K/300 SMP module
4) Sun SparcStation 20 SMP (2x SS) w/ a half-gig of ram for $50
5) SGI Indigo2 Power (IP26) for $70. Arrived destroyed thanks to
UPS, but amazingly worked still.

So all-in-all, I've made good buys for hideously cheap prices on eBay.
Sometimes the shipping is hit-or-miss. We typically avise our users to avoid
specific sellers on eBay, like this 'mario' guy for Sun stuff (he sells quad
hypersparc boards for $500 new, which while cheaper than from sun, the average
hobbyist can't afford). Perhaps our one guy to joke about is sgiseller on
eBay, who seems to have more money than God, and usually buys up some of the
best SGI deals. And then resells them for roughly 2x what they're really
worth on eBay.

But well, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose on eBay as far as old
hardware like this goes.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

Re: SGI's for sale [ In reply to ]
Agreed.

You have to be careful who you buy from. I have been
screwed twice. I bought an O2 and an Indy. Never
showed up. Then the guy disappears. And Ebay is no
help.

I am still quite amazed the prices you payed for some
things. I don't those kinds of deals any more. Or
perhaps I am very picky about what the system looks
like and comes with.

mp