Mailing List Archive

test2
Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
Hi?

mp
--- "James R. Marcus" <jmarcus@mvalent.net> wrote:

Mike Poullas
656 rue Pierre
Laval, Qc., H7X 3T1
(450) 969-4642
E-mail: mikepoullas@yahoo.com
Web Page: http://www.geocities.com/mikepoullas/

Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
Hello.

I guess this is the gentoo mailing list..

Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
I guess.

I joined the MIPS mailing list. You?

mp

Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
Yea but so far your email has been the only activity. but you seen to be
sending duplicate emails. So why did you join the mailing list? Me I
bought an SGI Octane off of EBay for $53.00 and I'm looking for an OS to
run on it seeing as I can't afford the $900.00 SGI want for a current
copy of IRIX.

Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
Well, I don't think you will have much luck installing
Gentoo on your Octane.

After reading various docs, ot looks like the only
stable Gentoo available for SGI's works with R4xxx or
R5000 CPU's. Likely your Octane has an R10000 which is
still an experimental release under Gentoo.

You need to look for an Indy, Indigo, or 02.

I currently own 3 Indy's and 1 Indigo 2. They all run
on Irix but I will switch one to Gentoo soon.

I think you can buy the IRIX CD's on ebay for cheap.
Does your octane have a CD-ROM?

RE: test2 [ In reply to ]
>===== Original Message From Mike Poullas <mikepoullas@yahoo.com> =====
>Well, I don't think you will have much luck installing
>Gentoo on your Octane.

Not true.

>After reading various docs, ot looks like the only
>stable Gentoo available for SGI's works with R4xxx or
>R5000 CPU's. Likely your Octane has an R10000 which is
>still an experimental release under Gentoo.

You are making a very common mistake, that is confusing processors with SGI
system types. For example, both R10000 and R12000 Octanes are known to
(mostly) work, however R10000 and R12000 O2's do not work. Anyway, Octanes
are experimental, however if you have a graphics board based on MGRAS and only
one hard drive, Octane should work fine. Anyone wanting more information
might stop by #gentoo-mips on irc.freenode.net to talk to a couple folks that
can provide you with a netboot image for these machines to install from.

Steve

Re: test2 [ In reply to ]
Mike Poullas wrote:
> Well, I don't think you will have much luck installing
> Gentoo on your Octane.
>
> After reading various docs, ot looks like the only
> stable Gentoo available for SGI's works with R4xxx or
> R5000 CPU's. Likely your Octane has an R10000 which is
> still an experimental release under Gentoo.
>
> You need to look for an Indy, Indigo, or 02.
>
> I currently own 3 Indy's and 1 Indigo 2. They all run
> on Irix but I will switch one to Gentoo soon.
>
> I think you can buy the IRIX CD's on ebay for cheap.
> Does your octane have a CD-ROM?
>
> mp

Ahem...

# uname -a
Linux dol-guldur 2.6.12-rc1-mipscvs-20050320 #3 SMP Sun Mar 20 20:49:15 EST
2005 mips64 R12000 V2.3 FPU V0.0 SGI Octane GNU/Linux

R10K problems exist _only_ on non-coherent cache systems. This currently
includes IP28 (Indigo2 Impact) and IP32 (O2). All other R10K-based systems
basically include IP27 (Origin) and IP30 (Octane), and do not suffer from the
speculative execution "feature" of the R10K processor. R12K and friends are
simply children of the R10K family tree.

Thus, Octane works, and works quite well. I'm currently testing 2.6.11
headers against a 2.6.12-rc1 kernel with experimental SMP support (Thanks to
the work done by Stan). This will all appear in Portage shortly.

You are correct in that it is all experimental, which means Octane owners are
kinda forced to run ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~mips" for now. Barring that, things
usually work quite well.

Check the new MIPS handbook on the main gentoo.org site for the mips hardware
requirements page, which having been redone by Redhatter, explains in great
detail the stable/experimental machines we support.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

RE: test2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Sorry I was getting bounced. I have been subscribed since 09/01/2004,
but when I tried to post about my O2 boot problem I was getting denied.
I thought maybe I had sent it from another address so I was testing the
from addresses.

Anyway I did get my O2 to boot and I'm just waiting for it to finish the
bootstrap process.

Thanks,

James