Mailing List Archive

Linux on Octane2
Hello,

I've got an Octane2 (R12000) and tried to boot
http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/netboot/ip30/ip30-r10k+-20050128.img.bz2
via bootp (Gentoo Linux/MIPS Handbook, Part 2). the kernel is
downloaded correctly but unfortunately it isn't execued. I only
see this message

+641696 entry: 0xa800000020798000

but then everything stops. Mouse and keyboard are dead and
sometimes the red light comes up.

Kumba recommended to try the following boot method

>> resetenv
>> unsetenv netaddr
>> unsetenv dlserver
>> setenv dbaud 9600
>> setenv console d
>> init

but unfortunately I cannot enter PROM of Octane2 by sending break
over null modem cable (http://caradhras.ccslab.aueb.gr/faq.html -
'cu -s 9600 -l ttyS0'). Sometimes 'cu' gets some weird characters
messing up the console. The System Maintenance Menu is never
displayed though. Octane boots straight to IRIX. This is strange
because I can get into the System Maintenance Menu of an O2 by
sending brake, using the same setup.

That is why I used nvram to switch back to console=g. afterwards I
tried

>> bootp(): root=/dev/ram0 console=ttyS0,9600

which causes Octane2 to freeze with the entry message above. I
cannot monitor any output on ttyS0 as well.

Please help, any suggestions appreciated!

chers
Florian
Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
Florian Wobbe wrote:

> but unfortunately I cannot enter PROM of Octane2 by sending break
> over null modem cable (http://caradhras.ccslab.aueb.gr/faq.html -
> 'cu -s 9600 -l ttyS0'). Sometimes 'cu' gets some weird characters
> messing up the console. The System Maintenance Menu is never
> displayed though. Octane boots straight to IRIX. This is strange
> because I can get into the System Maintenance Menu of an O2 by
> sending brake, using the same setup.

AFAIK, this might be referencing a Sparc. You can trigger a Sparc box to drop
to the PROM via a break. In graphical mode, make sure the following PROM
variables are set:

AutoLoad=No

This will prevent IRIX from booting up. You can also remove the disk drive to
force IRIX to not load (for obvious reasons). Once there, you can switch back
to serial if you like. IRIX should immediately drop to PROM after several
seconds; i.e.:

Running power-on diagnostics...

System Maintenance Menu

1) Start System
2) Install System Software
3) Run Diagnostics
4) Recover System
5) Enter Command Monitor

Option?

You can also try mashing the ESC key if it still doesn't do this -- that
usually drops to PROM on most SGIs I've tinkered with.

As for the freeze on execution, it may very well be executing, but sending
output to the wrong location. While in theory, the netboot should work fine
on Octane2, no one I know of has ever tested it, thus we can't confidently say
it can boot. For all we know, VPro could be doing something funky.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
Using an Octane with VPro gives this error indeed.
I Have a Vpro V6 next to my ESI+ESSI so I can confirm it.

The only way to bootp a Octane with VPro is to remove videocard support
in the kernel, and boot over serial.

Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
freshy98 wrote:
> Using an Octane with VPro gives this error indeed.
> I Have a Vpro V6 next to my ESI+ESSI so I can confirm it.
>
> The only way to bootp a Octane with VPro is to remove videocard support
> in the kernel, and boot over serial.

Even a kernel with ImpactSR support? Might have to roll a serial-only netboot
if this is the case.

--Kumba

Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
If I remember correctly, yes it worked.

freshy98

Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
> The only way to bootp a Octane with VPro is to remove videocard
> support in the kernel, and boot over serial.

[...]

I would very much appreciate if you would provide me with such a
kernel image.

Thanks.
Florian
Re: Linux on Octane2 [ In reply to ]
Hello Kumba,

[...]

> AutoLoad=No

> You can also remove the disk drive to force IRIX to not load

[...]

> You can also try mashing the ESC key if it still doesn't do this -- that
> usually drops to PROM on most SGIs I've tinkered with.

[...]

I'm afraid neither method works - I tried them all. I also
disconnected mouse and keyboard but still only gibberish shows up
on the serial line. To be more precise it's always two lines: The
fisrt only appearing after sending break for many times (>20). The
second line appears after sending the next break. When I send more
breaks (again >20) the whole process repeats: the same two lines
of gibberish. Pressing ESC does not work at all.

The O2 shows exactly the same behaviour: same two lines. but when
I press ESC after the second line shows up I get into the PROM
menu. So I guess I did everything right. Note that I have to go
through this procedure. Otherwise the O2 won't drop to PROM on
serial console.

Florian