Mailing List Archive

R5000 o2 X11 and kde?
Hi Steve,
I went back through and double checked everything, rebooted, and
resetenv, and presto, arcboot booted properly. Now we're cooking!

Then tried to emerge X-org, which compiled fine but could not build a
config file. I looked for some documentation on the gentoo mips site
but didn't see much (and elsewhere). Is it possible to get X and
eventually kde running? Thanks again for your help.

Re: R5000 o2 X11 and kde? [ In reply to ]
> Then tried to emerge X-org, which compiled fine but could not build a
> config file. I looked for some documentation on the gentoo mips site
> but didn't see much (and elsewhere). Is it possible to get X and
> eventually kde running? Thanks again for your help.

I've got x.org running on my o2. I used geomans config that you can find
here: http://dev.gentoo.org/~geoman/xorg.conf

Make sure that you compiled x.org with the static-useflag enabled.
Otherwise it's likely that you'll get a bunch of unresolved symbols.

Have fun!

--
Christian Hartmann
http://www.gentoo.org/~ian/

PGP Key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x2154E5EE692A4865
Key fingerprint = 4544 EC0C BAE4 216F 5981 7F95 2154 E5EE 692A 4865

Re: R5000 o2 X11 and kde? [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> I went back through and double checked everything, rebooted, and
> resetenv, and presto, arcboot booted properly. Now we're cooking!
>
> Then tried to emerge X-org, which compiled fine but could not build a
> config file. I looked for some documentation on the gentoo mips site
> but didn't see much (and elsewhere). Is it possible to get X and
> eventually kde running? Thanks again for your help.

See Ian's message about the config file and building X with the static
USE flag. As for kde, it should work just fine, although it may take
two to three days to build it all.

Steve

Re: R5000 o2 X11 and kde [ In reply to ]
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help, X build just fine and gdm looks o-so-nice. I tried
to emerge kde, but got the (masked by: ~mips keyword).

How do I get around this?

Should I get around this?

Do I need to put something in my /etc/portage/package.unmask?

With with all my questions, you made a mini-howto for dummies:-)

-andy

Re: R5000 o2 X11 and kde [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> Thanks for the help, X build just fine and gdm looks o-so-nice. I tried
> to emerge kde, but got the (masked by: ~mips keyword).
>
> How do I get around this?
>
> Should I get around this?
>
> Do I need to put something in my /etc/portage/package.unmask?
>
> With with all my questions, you made a mini-howto for dummies:-)
>
> -andy

Read "man portage" and all will be revealed.

Steve