Mailing List Archive

mips Cascading Profiles
The mips cascading profiles have been committed to the portage tree, and
should be functional for use, but I'd like it if we can get more people to
switch over to them and report and bugs or oddities. Cascading profiles look
to become the standard in the 2004.3 release, meaning users of the older
profiles will find them deprecated very soon.

Users not using cascading profiles will start to see some new packages popup
for ~mips systems, like glibc-2.3.4.20040808. This glibc is geared more for
n32 users, and the new cascading profiles are designed to keep
glibc-2.3.4-20040619-r1 as the stable release for cobalt, and o32 users, so
it's advised to switch to the cascading profiles as soon as possible.

To switch, o32 users can do the following:
rm -f /etc/make.profile
ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2004.2 /etc/make.profile

mips64 o32 users (O2, Octane) can do this:
rm -f /etc/make.profile
ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips64/2004.2 /etc/make.profile

Cobalt users do this:
rm -f /etc/make.profile
ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/cobalt/2004.2 /etc/make.profile

And lastly, those brave enough to try the semi-functional, but still very
broken n32 set (only works mips mips64 systems):
rm -f /etc/make.profile
ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips64/n32/2004.2 /etc/make.profile

For more information on what cascading profiles are, please see the following
URL, and ask any questions if needed.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/docs/cascading-profiles.xml

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."

Re: mips Cascading Profiles [ In reply to ]
Kumba wrote:

> mips64 o32 users (O2, Octane) can do this:
> rm -f /etc/make.profile
> ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips64/2004.2 /etc/make.profile
>

> And lastly, those brave enough to try the semi-functional, but still
> very broken n32 set (only works mips mips64 systems):
> rm -f /etc/make.profile
> ln -sf /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips64/n32/2004.2
> /etc/make.profile

Minor corrections to the above, the correct cascading profile path for mips64
o32 and n32 are really:

o32:
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/mips64/2004.2

n32:
/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/mips64/n32/2004.2

--Kumba