Mailing List Archive

Samba problem
Hi!

I'm new to this quiet place :) While I've been running Gentoo on x86 for
over a year now, I just started using it for an old HP crate (Visualize
B132L), and so far it's been going resonably well.
Now there's a problem though: I emerged Samba 3.0.21b (the HP is gonna
be a file server) and it refuses to start:

| # /etc/init.d/samba start
| * samba -> start: smbd ...
| /usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x42 [ !! ]
| * samba -> start: nmbd ...
| /usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc type 0x42 [ !! ]
| * Error: stopping services (see system logs)
| * samba -> stop: smbd ...
| * samba -> stop: nmbd ...

Google tells me this is an HPPA-specific problem and likely related to
an old glibc version. Now I do have the latest stable version for HPPA,
2.3.4.20040808-r1, and samba is stable as well so this shouldn't be
happening, should it? Perhaps only people who use a newer glibc tested
it before it went stable?
I'll try samba 3.0.14a-r2 today, it's said not to have this problem. If
I have a lot of time (haven't been used to compile times like this since
I deserted from NetBSD on my old Amiga to an Athlon box) I'll also try
the combination with a newer glibc---maybe if I can leave the box alone
next weekend.

cheers!
Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665
Re: Samba problem [ In reply to ]
On Friday 17 March 2006 14:20, Matthias Bethke wrote:
> | # /etc/init.d/samba start
> | * samba -> start: smbd ...
> | /usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc
> | type 0x42 [ !! ] * samba -> start: nmbd ...
> | /usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc
> | type 0x42 [ !! ] * Error: stopping services (see system logs)

hmm, ive only seen this when an app was built with -pie ...

> Google tells me this is an HPPA-specific problem and likely related to
> an old glibc version. Now I do have the latest stable version for HPPA,
> 2.3.4.20040808-r1,

all true

> and samba is stable as well so this shouldn't be happening, should it?

nope

> Perhaps only people who use a newer glibc tested it before it went stable?

unrelated

> I'll also try
> the combination with a newer glibc---maybe if I can leave the box alone
> next weekend.

dont bother ... there isnt a properly fixed version of glibc in portage for
hppa
-mike
Re: Samba problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,
on Friday, 2006-03-17 at 15:11:53, you wrote:
> > | /usr/sbin/nmbd: error while loading shared libraries: unexpected reloc
> > | type 0x42 [ !! ] * Error: stopping services (see system logs)
>
> hmm, ive only seen this when an app was built with -pie ...

No, no -pie here...

> > and samba is stable as well so this shouldn't be happening, should it?
>
> nope

Well, I compiled the older version and it's working fine, so it's not a
big problem so far.

> > I'll also try
> > the combination with a newer glibc---maybe if I can leave the box alone
> > next weekend.
>
> dont bother ... there isnt a properly fixed version of glibc in portage for
> hppa

Is there a current list of HPPA-specific issues for glibc? I'm not sure
if I can be of much help as I'm fairly new to this platform (been using
HP/UX for a while but this is my first Linux on it) but I've done some
bitfiddling on various things from 6502 and m68k to PPCs, so I'd give it
a try anyway.

cheers!
Matthias