Mailing List Archive

HP 9000/C110 Workstation Problems
OK, im trying to get Gentoo installed on this workstation, ive tried the
2004.3 CD and it doesn't boot, the 2004.2 CD does however, and I follow the
instructions, and I cant get a kernel that works out of it, so I formatted
the drive, and started over, this time using the 2004.3 stage3 tarball, and
going from there, I compiled the kernel, but unfortunately, the kernel
panics with a very interesting message, something about segmentFault and it
just hangs (of course)

So, I trash that kernel, and start over with 2.6.11-pa1 (from debian's site)
make menuconfig and go through and configure my kernel. This goes smoothly,
and I select all the (I think) correct choices, and go and compile it with
make && make modules_install

Then I did the normal
cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.11-pa1
. (system.map)
. (config)

Unmount everything, and reboot.

Everything goes right, palo was updated with new settings, and low and
behold, I get a penguin in the top left, but the colors are all FUBAREd,
white, purple and green, and some cyanish blue, and black.

Ok, but that's not the biggest problem, the biggest problem is that I cant
read WTF is going on at boot time, all the text is black, and I cant use my
keyboard. at all. No mouse either, both are connected to PS2 slots in the
back, and I have all the PS2 and HID and etc settings in the .config file,
but Im not sure that this is going to work. I have no clue.

Any thoughts, lemme know
RanDom_ErrOr

I can send .config file if nessecary.
RE: HP 9000/C110 Workstation Problems [ In reply to ]
Ok I think I have the keyboard issue worked out, cuz of the 2.6 kernel, I
had to have a couple different options, im trying to compile w/o the boot
image, see if that helps, but I doubt it will, but who knows.

If you have any questions, or suggestions, please, let me know. I want to
get this box up and running as a webserver asap.

_____

RE: HP 9000/C110 Workstation Problems [ In reply to ]
Ok I have the keyboard issue worked out, and I have a kernel that boots, I
get a login prompt, but the colors are all funky, wheres the setting in the
kernel to change the colors?
Does anybody have any ideas?

My machine is the C110 with the HCRX8 graphics card

_____