partition. I have /dev/sda2 as a /boot partition and /dev/sda3 as
/,need they reside on the same disk?

Gavin.

Re: kernel panic [ In reply to ]
On Friday 19 November 2004 14:52, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> I have created a kernel file with all necessary fs support.  However, I
> am still getting a kernel panic with 'unsupported vfs'.  I was reading
> the manual again and noticed in the eg /boot and / are on the same
> partition.  I have /dev/sda2 as a /boot partition and /dev/sda3 as
> /,need they reside on the same disk?

They need not. On the contrary, most people prefer having it on a seperate
partition. If you have them on seperate ones, then of course you can't
simply copy the provided samples from the manual, but have to think a bit.

1. You need an entry in your fstab for each partition.
2. You have to set root=... to your root partition, but specify your boot
partition in PALO's configuration (but since your kernel is loading, you have
managed to do that).

But, if your kernel really tells you the filesystem is "unsupported", then I
wonder if you maybe just included VFS support as a module? If you did, think
about it for a moment: Modules are files that get loaded into the kernel
during runtime. This yields two problems:

1. If the modules reside on a partition you don't have support for _compiled
into the kernel_, then of course they can't be loaded at all.
Chicken-and-egg problem, you see?
2. Even if you'd put your modules on a partition with a filesystem with
support compiled in, they are loaded _after_ all filesystems are mounted.
That means, they are not available during mount time.

Therefore follow this rule: If you need some partitions permanently (which is
the case for all partitions like root, boot, usr, var and so on), then
include support for them into the kernel, not just as modules.

If that wasn't your problem, then maybe you need to reinstall PALO. I must
admit that I am a GRUB user and have set up a HP box with Gentoo only once,
but I remember that with LILO you needed to reinstall it into the bootsector
after you made some changes. If that is the case with PALO too, then you
should reinstall it. I can't look into the guide at the moment because it
seems www.gentoo.org is down, you have to try for yourself. But these were
some suggestions.

Tim

Re: kernel panic [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 13:29, Tim Weber wrote:
> On Friday 19 November 2004 14:52, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > I have created a kernel file with all necessary fs support. However, I
> > am still getting a kernel panic with 'unsupported vfs'. I was reading
> > the manual again and noticed in the eg /boot and / are on the same
> > partition. I have /dev/sda2 as a /boot partition and /dev/sda3 as
> > /,need they reside on the same disk?
>
> They need not. On the contrary, most people prefer having it on a seperate
> partition. If you have them on seperate ones, then of course you can't
> simply copy the provided samples from the manual, but have to think a bit.
>
> 1. You need an entry in your fstab for each partition.
> 2. You have to set root=... to your root partition, but specify your boot
> partition in PALO's configuration (but since your kernel is loading, you have
> managed to do that).
>
> But, if your kernel really tells you the filesystem is "unsupported", then I
> wonder if you maybe just included VFS support as a module? If you did, think
> about it for a moment: Modules are files that get loaded into the kernel
> during runtime. This yields two problems:
>
> 1. If the modules reside on a partition you don't have support for _compiled
> into the kernel_, then of course they can't be loaded at all.
> Chicken-and-egg problem, you see?
> 2. Even if you'd put your modules on a partition with a filesystem with
> support compiled in, they are loaded _after_ all filesystems are mounted.
> That means, they are not available during mount time.
>
> Therefore follow this rule: If you need some partitions permanently (which is
> the case for all partitions like root, boot, usr, var and so on), then
> include support for them into the kernel, not just as modules.
>
> If that wasn't your problem, then maybe you need to reinstall PALO. I must
> admit that I am a GRUB user and have set up a HP box with Gentoo only once,
> but I remember that with LILO you needed to reinstall it into the bootsector
> after you made some changes. If that is the case with PALO too, then you
> should reinstall it. I can't look into the guide at the moment because it
> seems www.gentoo.org is down, you have to try for yourself. But these were
> some suggestions.
>
> Tim
>
> --
Thanks, I have not included the modules as'm' I used the 'y' option. To
reinstall palo I think it's a case of removing /dev/sda1 and starting
afresh. This time I will manually build the kernel since I found this,
looks useful.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=79&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

kernel panic [ In reply to ]
Hi,
I've just finished installing, again. I received 'kernel
panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 08:03'. I included all fs types I
need in the kernel, not as modules. What's going on here?
Gav.