Hi
I have successfully used genkernel. But /boot /vmlinux fails at boot.I
created this link manually. Is this correct?

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 16 November 2004 21:26, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> I have successfully used genkernel.  But /boot /vmlinux fails at boot.I
> created this link manually.  Is this correct?

I'm not quite sure if PALO can handle symlinks. Why don't you use the actual
file?

Tim

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 November 2004 14:57, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Now I get a
> kernel panic.  I can't mount root fs on boot.  I am in the process of
> checking /etc/fstab, have you any other suggestions in case it's not
> this?

Also check the "root=..." kernel parameter.

Tim.

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
Quite right, I just tried this and it boots fine,thanks. Now I get a
kernel panic. I can't mount root fs on boot. I am in the process of
checking /etc/fstab, have you any other suggestions in case it's not
this?

Gavin

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
(Quoting style corrected, please read http://learn.to/quote/)

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 15:46, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 13:25, Tim Weber wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 November 2004 14:57, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > > Now I get a
> > > kernel panic. I can't mount root fs on boot. I am in the process of
> > > checking /etc/fstab, have you any other suggestions in case it's not
> > > this?
> >
> > Also check the "root=..." kernel parameter.
> Yes, this is
> root=/dev/sda3
> which is where root is. What does the vfs part of the error mean,
> pls? Also, could the prob be genkernel has not put ext3 support into
> the kernel?

As you did not tell me the error message, I can't say anything about "the vfs
part". But, see, if you didn't include support for a filesystem you're using
into your kernel, then it's pretty obvious that the kernel can't use that
specific filesystem, right?

That's why people were insistently telling you _not_ to use genkernel.

Tim.

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
Yes, this is
root=/dev/sda3
which is where root is. What does the vfs part of the error mean,
pls? Also, could the prob be genkernel has not put ext3 support into
the kernel?
Tar
Gavin

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 November 2004 17:29, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> I will manually compile again.  For this may I mount and chroot.  Then
> remove /usr/src/* and /boot/* as I don't want to start from scratch
> again?

You don't need to remove a thing, on the contrary, genkernel's configuration
is a good one to start with: Just mount, chroot and then go
to /usr/src/linux and "make menuconfig", then continue as described in the
guide. Compile the kernel, put it somewhere into /boot, adjust your PALO
configuration to load the new kernel. But don't go crazy removing stuff.

Also, you did not read http://learn.to/quote/ yet.

Tim.

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 November 2004 18:17, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Are responses here?

After having thought some more about it, I'd rather suggest reading
in its full length. Don't feel bullied, I read that one too (voluntarily).
And I am very certain that, if you succeed in acting as described there, both
you and all other people on this list will be able to enter a new level of
effectivity and contentment. And I won't be the only one still trying to
help you anymore.

Honestly,

Tim.

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
Tim,

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 15:30, Tim Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 17:29, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > I will manually compile again. For this may I mount and chroot. Then
> > remove /usr/src/* and /boot/* as I don't want to start from scratch
> > again?
>
> You don't need to remove a thing, on the contrary, genkernel's configuration
> is a good one to start with: Just mount, chroot and then go
> to /usr/src/linux and "make menuconfig", then continue as described in the
> guide. Compile the kernel, put it somewhere into /boot, adjust your PALO
> configuration to load the new kernel. But don't go crazy removing stuff.
>
> Also, you did not read http://learn.to/quote/ yet.
>
> Tim.

Are responses here?

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 16:23, Tim Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 November 2004 18:17, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > Are responses here?
>
> After having thought some more about it, I'd rather suggest reading
> in its full length. Don't feel bullied, I read that one too (voluntarily).
> And I am very certain that, if you succeed in acting as described there, both
> you and all other people on this list will be able to enter a new level of
> effectivity and contentment. And I won't be the only one still trying to
> help you anymore.
>
> Honestly,
>
> Tim.
>
> --
Thanks, read it. Thankfully no one gave me RTFM. Kernel had no jfs
support.

Gav.

Re: boot failure after genkernel [ In reply to ]
Personally I love Genkernel, but for the first couple of builds make
sure you use

# genkernel --menuconfig all

so you can double check and make sure you have everything you need.