Mailing List Archive

Gentoo on a HP B132L - Palo install problem
Dear all,

Currently I am trying to install 2004.2 via liveCD on a B132L.
I 've stumbled over the mirrorselect problem too which I solved by hand
editing the make.config file; removing the garbage and typing in my own
favorite mirrors.

Further problems I am encountered:
* Bootstrap says that a segmentation fault ocures
* Bootstrap-cascade says that a segmentation fault ocures
Somehow I circumnavigate this by trial and error method.
But now I am struck.
The "palo" command ruins my file system in the "f0" type boot partion.
Everthing is nicely installed and copied to the 50Mb /dev/sda1 aka /boot.
After "palo" and umount the system don't boot and a "fsck" shows loads of
errors on /sda1.
Ok, I emerged the newest palo and did it all again but the problem still
there.
The system do not find a bootable partion and after boot from liveCD again
the boot partions is faulty.
Only copying the files does not harm the file system.
After "palo" it is gone!

Any suggestion how to proceed.?

Best regards
Sebastian Brunner

Re: Gentoo on a HP B132L - Palo install problem [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:52:13 +0200
"Sebastian Brunner" <brunner@htsdd.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Currently I am trying to install 2004.2 via liveCD on a B132L.
> I 've stumbled over the mirrorselect problem too which I solved by
> hand editing the make.config file; removing the garbage and typing in
> my own favorite mirrors.
>
> Further problems I am encountered:
> * Bootstrap says that a segmentation fault ocures
> * Bootstrap-cascade says that a segmentation fault ocures

Thoses two are not good at all. Could you report this problem via
irc (#gentoo-hppa irc.freenode.net) or bugzilla (http://bugs.gentoo.org)
please?

> Somehow I circumnavigate this by trial and error method.
> But now I am struck.
> The "palo" command ruins my file system in the "f0" type boot partion.
> Everthing is nicely installed and copied to the 50Mb /dev/sda1 aka
> /boot. After "palo" and umount the system don't boot and a "fsck"
> shows loads of errors on /sda1.

This is again a misunderstood of the handbook.
sda1 is a PALO partition (F0) with NO filesystem on it
sda2 is a /boot partition with a ext2 filesystem on it
sdaX are the partition you need for you / and the rest of your system

I'll change the doc on this point. Could you please tell me which
section confused you ?

> Ok, I emerged the newest palo and did it all again but the problem
> still there.
> The system do not find a bootable partion and after boot from liveCD
> again the boot partions is faulty.
> Only copying the files does not harm the file system.
> After "palo" it is gone!
>
> Any suggestion how to proceed.?

You are lucky that your /boot partition is 50Mb. Just split this one in
two new partition and it should be all fine.

> Best regards
> Sebastian Brunner

hth

--
Guy Martin
Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team