Hi,
When I try to inst I cannot configure networking and it seems I have a
32bit kernel. Have I got the wrong iso##, if so can anyone help pls?

RE: installing [ In reply to ]
What model HP do you have?

Ryan MacLean
Sales Representative
Century Computer
5443 Rainnie Drive, Halifax
Nova Scotia, B3J 1P8
mailto:ryanm@centurycomputer.net
Phone: 423-2500
Fax: 423-2929
-----Original Message-----
From: Dr Gavin Seddon [mailto:gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 12:32 PM
To: gentoohppa
Subject: [gentoo-hppa] installing

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 14 September 2004 11:31 am, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> When I try to inst I cannot configure networking and it seems I have a
> 32bit kernel. Have I got the wrong iso##, if so can anyone help pls?

what ISO are you using ?
most of the time it doesnt matter if you're using a 32bit or 64bit kernel
did you load the driver for your network card ? what error are you getting
such that you think you 'cannot configure networking' ?
-mike

RE: installing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:33, Ryan MacLean wrote:
> What model HP do you have?
>
> Ryan MacLean
> Sales Representative
> Century Computer
> 5443 Rainnie Drive, Halifax
> Nova Scotia, B3J 1P8
> mailto:ryanm@centurycomputer.net
> Phone: 423-2500

I have a C3600

Thanks

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:42, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 September 2004 11:31 am, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> > When I try to inst I cannot configure networking and it seems I have a
> > 32bit kernel. Have I got the wrong iso##, if so can anyone help pls?
>
> what ISO are you using ?
> most of the time it doesnt matter if you're using a 32bit or 64bit kernel
> did you load the driver for your network card ? what error are you getting
> such that you think you 'cannot configure networking' ?
> -mike

> iso
hppa-livecd-20040802.iso
Gavin

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On 14 Sep 2004 16:51:04 +0000
Dr Gavin Seddon <gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:33, Ryan MacLean wrote:
> > What model HP do you have?
> >
> > Ryan MacLean
> > Sales Representative
> > Century Computer
> > 5443 Rainnie Drive, Halifax
> > Nova Scotia, B3J 1P8
> > mailto:ryanm@centurycomputer.net
> > Phone: 423-2500

Did you `modprobe tulip` to load the driver of the nic ?

> Thanks

Guy Martin
Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team
Lug Charleroi (Belgium)
Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 17:14, Guy Martin wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2004 16:51:04 +0000
> Dr Gavin Seddon <gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:33, Ryan MacLean wrote:
> > > What model HP do you have?
> > >
> > > Ryan MacLean
> > > Sales Representative
> > > Century Computer
> > > 5443 Rainnie Drive, Halifax
> > > Nova Scotia, B3J 1P8
> > > mailto:ryanm@centurycomputer.net
> > > Phone: 423-2500

I will do this now thanks

installing [ In reply to ]
Hello
I have spoken with my supplier, he doesn't know which nic is in but it
is the one supplied with a c3600. No I haven't manually installed a
module yet since I don't know which one.
Trying tulip.
Thanks

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On 14 Sep 2004 17:35:25 +0000
Dr Gavin Seddon <gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just run
> modprobe tulip
> and nothing has changed

Now you should have eth0 when you `ifconfig -a` and `dhcpcd eth0` should
work if you have a running dhcp server in your network.

installing [ In reply to ]
I have just run
modprobe tulip
and nothing has changed

Gavin.

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
Success

I forgot the -a with ifconfig. I can now ping 'external' machines.

Thanks.

installing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have just created a user and I noticed it is a live cd 32. Is there a
64, or does is 64 bit kernel generated later?

Thanks

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
On 14 Sep 2004 18:17:19 +0000
Dr Gavin Seddon <gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just created a user and I noticed it is a live cd 32. Is there
> a 64, or does is 64 bit kernel generated later?

If you want a 64bit kernel (which is not recommanded), you'll have to
emerge gcc-hppa64 and select 64bit kernel in the kernel config.

Also, I don't recommand using genkernel.

For more info, follow the handbook :)
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-hppa.xml

RE: installing [ In reply to ]
Just so you know...
http://www.openpa.net/systems/allegro.html
gives you specs on your machine.
You probably have a DEC 21142/43 Fast Ethernet controller (Tulip).
Hope that helps you.
Also don't forget to read the Gentoo installation guide - it is very
helpful! The guys put a lot of effort into it and it shows.

Re: installing [ In reply to ]
Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hello
> I have spoken with my supplier, he doesn't know which nic is in but it
> is the one supplied with a c3600. No I haven't manually installed a
> module yet since I don't know which one.

From this (http://www.openpa.net/systems/index.html) site you can find a lot of
info about a lot of HP hardware.

CBee