--
Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2

Re: -fno-PIE usage in ebuilds [ In reply to ]
That e-mail reminded me of something: One thing that's
missing in the FAQ, IMHO, is a description of which flags to
pass to turn the hardened features _off_.

I usually pass "-fno-pic -fno-stack-protector", but not
because I know this is right, but because I have seen it
this way in the ebuild files.

Is this topic documented somewhere?

Peter

Re: -fno-PIE usage in ebuilds [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 13:00, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I see that more and more ebuilds use -fno-PIE and -fno-pie (both)
>
> 1. Should we not make some arch dependent usage of these (built into gcc)?
> I need info about the different archs, which one should be used (the same
> as -fPIC / -fpic)
> 2. It would be more correct to use nopie, this will also disable the use
> of the PIC built crt start and endfile, else I should add -fno-PIE and
> -fno-pie to the crtfile selection too (this happens if some package calls
> directly ld, not through gcc)
>
> Peter

Only the flag-o-matic.eclass need to be altered for this.
It's behavior now is questionable at best.
--
Ned Ludd <solar@gentoo.org>
Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer