Mailing List Archive

grsec: denied RWX mprotect AND execution attempt ksplashqml plasmashell kwin_x11 kscreenlocker_greet
Hello,

I am experiencing task terminated & segfaults with KDE Plasma 5.8.6
following the recent stable upgrade from 5.8.5.

I am curious is anyone on this list is using Plasma 5.8.6 with
hardened-sources successfully.

Previously, Plasma functioned very well. I've used it every day for quite
awhile. Now, I must disable PAX mprotect to use this desktop environment
for the following binaries:
/usr/bin/plasmashell
/usr/bin/ksmserver
/usr/bin/ksplashqml
/usr/lib64/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet
/usr/lib64/libexec/ksmserver-logout-greeter

Even after that, kscreenlock_greet segfaults when I lock my session. So
this is basically unusable for daily work.

The system is running sys-kernel/hardened-sources-4.8.17-r2 on the hardened
amd64 no-multilib profile. I cobbled together sufficient USE from the
plasma profile to produce what was a very nice, minimal desktop environment
(-jit of course). I use a stable toolchain.

Other desktop environments work just fine, at least Awesome and Openbox.
Various KDE apps work fine too, like Konsole, Dolphin, and Gwenview.

Anyone have any pointers as to what USE or new options might be causing
this? Should I simply upgrade to plasma 5.9.4?

Thanks a ton!
Matt

--
M. Summers
aka quantumsummers

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
- Thomas A. Edison