petre daniel,system administrator,
romania data systems, pitesti branch
mobile 740.10.2196,phone 248.219917

Re: tmpfs ? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 11:09, petre daniel wrote:
> what do i need tmpfs for?
>
> i run a small router,thats all..
>
> can i just comment
>
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults

i believe its needed by glibc

this comment in /etc/fstab would support that:

"# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink)."

Re: tmpfs ? [ In reply to ]
i have read that but do i really need tmpfs?

DO I ?

Re: tmpfs ? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 15 October 2004 06:17 pm, Nick Rout wrote:
> i believe its needed by glibc

i just grepped the source code of glibc and uclibc ... glibc has references
to /dev/shm, uclibc does not

so i think you're safe to not mount it
-mike

Re: tmpfs ? [ In reply to ]
If you are using glibc, I believe there are patches to remove the
support. But tmpfs uses what like 42k of kernel memory for this mount
and the tmpfs support. I believe that glibc will work unless a shared
memory call is made.

So all in all if you are using uClibc, you should be fine, and If you
are not making any shared memory calls using glibc you will be fine.

Re: tmpfs ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 18:21, petre daniel wrote:
> i have read that but do i really need tmpfs?
>
> DO I ?

no you don't.