Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801
Hi,

Re-installing Gentoo on this platform because I haven't upgraded it for
more than two years... :-/

Grub boots and loads the kernel but hangs after this line:

I uncommented serial console in inittab so I can follow boot via console.

Any idea how I can get more debug information?

Thank you
Re: Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801 [ In reply to ]
On 19/11/2014 22:05, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Re-installing Gentoo on this platform because I haven't upgraded it
> for more than two years... :-/
>
> Grub boots and loads the kernel but hangs after this line:

> I uncommented serial console in inittab so I can follow boot via console.
>
> Any idea how I can get more debug information?
>
> Thank you

Wow, quite late to this party....

I can trigger the same in an Alix, which is quite a different board, but
might be relevant. Check the SATA module included. In particular
beware that certain combinations of GPIO modules seem to bollox the SATA
module (GPIO-Keys in particular, not sure why)

Could be completely unrelated, but this is what kills my CS5335 based
stuff on ALIX...

Good luck

Ed W
Re: Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801 [ In reply to ]
On 12/20/2014 01:44 PM, Ed W wrote:
> On 19/11/2014 22:05, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Re-installing Gentoo on this platform because I haven't upgraded it
>> for more than two years... :-/
>> Grub boots and loads the kernel but hangs after this line:

Just for a quick test, try this (if applicable).

"cp /boot/System.map / "

Unless it is already in the / dir.

>> I uncommented serial console in inittab so I can follow boot via console.
>> Any idea how I can get more debug information?
>> Thank you
>
> Wow, quite late to this party....
> I can trigger the same in an Alix, which is quite a different board, but
> might be relevant. Check the SATA module included. In particular
> beware that certain combinations of GPIO modules seem to bollox the SATA
> module (GPIO-Keys in particular, not sure why)
>
> Could be completely unrelated, but this is what kills my CS5335 based
> stuff on ALIX...

I have an old Alix board (alix.2D3+B) that has not been used in a few
years. Drop me some private email, as I think this list is dead.

My speculation is after the gentoo herds are gone, may then we can
resurrect the gentoo-embedded project discussion group. Most now just
post to the gentoo user group.

Where did your "bionic" work end up?

> Good luck
> Ed W

hth,
James
Re: Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801 [ In reply to ]
wireless wrote:
> Drop me some private email, as I think this list is dead.

I think that is ridiculous.

If you have something to post then please post it on the list and not
in private email.

> then we can resurrect the gentoo-embedded project discussion group.

Again: If you have something to post then just send the email out.
"resurrect" makes no sense whatsoever. If there is no discussion then
there is no discussion.

> Most now just post to the gentoo user group.

Maybe that just means that there are not many questions specific to
embedded gentoo, and most questions apply equally to a regular gentoo
system and embedded? I would consider that a pretty successful
embedded project.

Stop FUDing and focus on making contributions.

//Peter
Re: Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The boot process issue has been solved by setting up PATA properly in the
kernel config.

Thank you,
JM

Re: Boot hangs on Soekris NET4801 [ In reply to ]
On 25/12/2014 22:24, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The boot process issue has been solved by setting up PATA properly in
> the kernel config.

Just watch out, I *think* this will bite you again when you upgrade to a
newer kernel? It's *NOT* the PATA which is the problem, but some
bug/interaction between GPIO setup and the pata driver. The key is
actually to disable GPIO-Keys (from memory) which seems to break the
pata module. I think it only became a problem somewhere in the early
3.x ish era where a platform module was added to emulate the Alix button
as a "button".

Anyway, I don't recall the details now, but like you I briefly fixed it
by fiddling with PATA modules before I realised it wasn't really the
issue... I speculate it's something to do with the polling of the GPIOs
which is leaving the structure in some state which breaks the PATA
module...?

I haven't chased down details though. I concede I have read the
datasheets on the CS533x and mostly understand the basics of the
interrupt setup, but I don't really understand enough about how linux
deals with interrupts to resolve this.. My goal was to get GPIO
interrupts working in order to get a GPS 1PPS working... I think I can
concede I have mostly lost interest though and it's not going to get
finished... We do at least have platform setup modules for the various
architectures though, so it's a start...

Good luck!

Ed W