Mailing List Archive

proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml under doc or qa?
I'm not sure if this is under doc or qa, but

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml

could use a relatively minor but quite helpful usability tweak.

Code listing 1.1 is of course <pre>. Line 57 (as delivered), the line
with all those libs, ends up /very/ long for a single line. Even at
relatively small font sizes, it requires a window nearly 1024 px wide,
and that's not even displaying the full ad column yet. Of course, that
forces the entire content to that width as well, so it's not just the
single line at that width. Gentoo can be commended for using "%" sized
layout as the default, generally making page width relatively flexible,
and normally code listings aren't long enough to be all /that/ much
trouble (thanks to the doc team and others' hard work) but this one needs
a little lovin', due to that one long line of code.

If the line could be split in half, so it displays on two lines, it would
make viewing a bit easier in a narrower window. Of course, it'll be
split in most console windows, so splitting it for display on the page
shouldn't be a big problem.

(FWIW, I run 1600 width by default, but have my browser windows set to
800 width by default, so I can view two windows side-by-side. I can
barely run 2048 width, for two by 1024 px windows, but the text gets
blurry and the monitors only run 60 Hz at that, so it's not ideal. One
of these days I'll upgrade again, but until then, content columns that
exceed 800 px are irritating.)

Or is a bug a better way to go at this? I don't know how doc team works.

Re: proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml under doc or qa? [ In reply to ]
On 9/16/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is under doc or qa, but
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
>
> could use a relatively minor but quite helpful usability tweak.

I agree, but it's not GDP's responsibility - the QA team needs to
update the code listing to wrap it.

Hopefully their address is qa@g.o ;-)

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml under doc or qa? [ In reply to ]
"Sven Vermeulen" <swift@gentoo.org> posted
6de0e7060709160827g10e0d09eo797555835d30da54@mail.gmail.com, excerpted
below, on Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:27:31 +0200:

> On 9/16/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is under doc or qa, but
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
>>
>> could use a relatively minor but quite helpful usability tweak.
>
> I agree, but it's not GDP's responsibility - the QA team needs to update
> the code listing to wrap it.
>
> Hopefully their address is qa@g.o ;-)

Thanks. Now I know. =8^)