Mailing List Archive

Re: The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move my systems from the monolithic kde-3.5 to the split
> ebuilds. The forums and wikis show several means of unmerging the
> monolithic version, but they don't all seem to work. For instance, from the
> wiki at:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_KDE_3.3_to_KDE_3.4
>
> suggests:
>
> # for x in `equery d kde`
>
> > do
> > emerge -C --ask $x
> > done

With respect to the wiki, you are free to discuss and make edits to it as it
is a resource made by users for users.

> It seems the best command is later in the same wiki:
>
> emerge -Ca /var/db/pkg/kde-base/*-3.4.*
>
> Which looks good to me, tested with -Cp instead of -Ca.
>
> It might be helpful if you could add a known-working script to your HOWTO.
> I attach a crude candidate, which does the whole thing at once, not
> package-by-package as you suggest. Any suggestions or improvements would be
> very welcome.
>
> All the best,

Talking of the official documentation, it seems parts of the split ebuilds
howto are pretty outdated at the moment, in fact the part related to removing
kde is better explained in the kde configuration howto, which should work as
your script does.

Probably a nice plan would be to revise all the old information in the split
ebuilds howto and possibly move something to the kde configuration howto
(split ebuilds are not a novelty anymore), but I don't know if someone is
available for the task...

Thanks for your suggestions.
Gregorio
Re: Re: The KDE Split Ebuilds HOWTO [ In reply to ]

Gregorio Guidi wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 October 2006 11:24, you wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to move my systems from the monolithic kde-3.5 to the split
>> ebuilds. The forums and wikis show several means of unmerging the
>> monolithic version, but they don't all seem to work. For instance, from the
>> wiki at:
>>
>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_KDE_3.3_to_KDE_3.4
>>
>> suggests:
>>
>> # for x in `equery d kde`
>>
>>> do
>>> emerge -C --ask $x
>>> done
>
> With respect to the wiki, you are free to discuss and make edits to it as it
> is a resource made by users for users.
>
>> It seems the best command is later in the same wiki:
>>
>> emerge -Ca /var/db/pkg/kde-base/*-3.4.*
>>
>> Which looks good to me, tested with -Cp instead of -Ca.
>>
>> It might be helpful if you could add a known-working script to your HOWTO.
>> I attach a crude candidate, which does the whole thing at once, not
>> package-by-package as you suggest. Any suggestions or improvements would be
>> very welcome.
>>
>> All the best,
>
> Talking of the official documentation, it seems parts of the split ebuilds
> howto are pretty outdated at the moment, in fact the part related to removing
> kde is better explained in the kde configuration howto, which should work as
> your script does.
>
> Probably a nice plan would be to revise all the old information in the split
> ebuilds howto and possibly move something to the kde configuration howto
> (split ebuilds are not a novelty anymore), but I don't know if someone is
> available for the task...
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> Gregorio
The KDE split ebuild howto was very recently updated by me within the last week;
read it again. It properly covers 3.5.

And gentoo-wiki is not to be relied upon -- it is not officially endorsed,
supported, or at all maintained by Gentoo developers. It has nothing to do with
Gentoo documentation. The wiki has lots of incorrect and/or misleading/outdated
content, so I wouldn't trust it.

But the split ebuilds guide and the KDE guide on gentoo.org were both recently
updated, so they should have everything you need. Monolithic to modular
migration is covered quite explicitly in the split ebuild howto.